Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer AMEX to Delta or BA???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2011, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Yes.
Originally Posted by saacman5033
Since you're interested in going to Tahiti you might want to check out this article as well at Viewfromthewing.com

You'd have the same problem with miles shortage but if you did it in coach, you'd only have to come up with an additional 50k DL miles.
That was a useful read. Thank you. It's surprising that they are so good in French Poly. I'm sure I could get one more bonus in to put us over the top for coach. And getting to LAX is probably a lot easier for us (from SAN) than many other folks. But I think that the fees (no status here!) and the uncertainty are scaring me away. Can anyone speak to the difference in DL vs. BA fees (really AF vs. CX).

@x712xdamx - Thanks, I hadn't thought of the hotel angle. I think I'll stick to miles. We rarely stay in hotels. Mostly look for VRBO and Homeaway properties.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by econjon
So I just confirmed the 100k amex points from platinum card. The question is where should I transfer them? We plan to use miles for our honeymoon next summer (August). We are currently thinking of Bali or Tahiti. Other than that, we mostly fly domestic with 1-2 international trips per year (South America, Caribbean, Europe) We are in San Diego and Asia's in the future lineup if that helps.

I currently have:
100k BA points from Chase
300k AA from dual Citi cards (fiance and me)

Thank you for any advice/thoughts.
What I would do, and I just did it, would be to use the 1.5 bonus to get your AMEX into BA, then go CX business to Bali. Yes, Tahiti is great but Bali is way better. My fees were $100 pp. Please take advantage of the Hong Kong stopover. Have fun.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:00 pm
aap

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, United Silver
With CX using BA Miles is Hong Kong the only stopover option for award travel to a destination like Bali or could you stopover somewhere like Thailand as well?
Old Jul 9, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by aap
With CX using BA Miles is Hong Kong the only stopover option for award travel to a destination like Bali or could you stopover somewhere like Thailand as well?
You could travel the Thailand on CX using BA miles, but unless there is a Thailand to Bali flight on CX, you wouldn't be able to use it as a stopover, just a final destination, unless you were booking a separate award ticket.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Time traveller
You could travel the Thailand on CX using BA miles, but unless there is a Thailand to Bali flight on CX, you wouldn't be able to use it as a stopover, just a final destination, unless you were booking a separate award ticket.
Keep in mind that you can use BA to make 2 one-way awards. Going to Asia, you can have CX and JL using one inbound and the other outbound. It's a great way to build stopovers in both Hong Kong and Tokyo.

For Bali, you have to make it the final destination of your CX leg (JL doesn't fly to DPS). If you want to go to Thailand you would have to buy a o/w ticket from DPS to BKK on Thai or ThaiAirAsia. From there you could book a return leg on JL.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Yes.
Thank you for the helpful ideas. I think we would only have time for one stopover. Since my fiance was in Thailand last year for a month, I think we would try to do a stopover in HK or Tokyo for a few days. But mostly spend our time in Bali.

Quick question: Can we book the trip using BA miles for 3 of one ways? And AA miles for the last oneway?
Old Jul 9, 2011, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by econjon
Quick question: Can we book the trip using BA miles for 3 of one ways? And AA miles for the last oneway?
You can book o/w on both BA and AA. From what I've seen, AA might be more miles for the same trip.

AA's award chart for partners

BA's award chart for partners

By the way, ThePointsGuy did a great review of what you can do with BA miles in several posts. It's a great source of information - here's one. I also recommend reading post 8 which talks about how to use stopovers.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 7:48 pm

DL skymiles might actually be better going to Europe. Not the popular destinations (London, Paris), but there are other destinations (like Moscow) that you can actually find lowest bucket seats available for, provided you book way in advance. The fuel surcharges BA charges make the miles almost useless for economy booking to Europe; you can often find other carriers in economy that have a total ticket price lower than BA's taxes+YQ charge, and you'll get to earn miles to boot.

BUT if you search ahead of time to some destinations and find a low bucket reward that works for you on DL, then transfer and book it immediately. I'd be very hesitant to tell you to transfer all your miles to DL just so you'll have them in the future for a trip you aren't planning yet. You're better of getting the BA bonus if you have no concrete plans yet, especially given what you've said about wanting to go to Asia.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL GM
I just see a standard transfer offer on the DL website:

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/ways_t...ners/index.jsp

IIRC, there was a first-time transfer bonus of 50% that might have expired 5/31, and there was a 40% bonus if you transferred a certain amount of points (maybe 50k plus). I'm not sure if either of these are still active, does anyone have a link? tyia
Old Jul 9, 2011, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Frinkiac7
I just see a standard transfer offer on the DL website:

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/ways_t...ners/index.jsp

IIRC, there was a first-time transfer bonus of 50% that might have expired 5/31, and there was a 40% bonus if you transferred a certain amount of points (maybe 50k plus). I'm not sure if either of these are still active, does anyone have a link? tyia
I see this promotion - Link

Once you register, you can earn a 50% mileage bonus on any amount of
Membership Rewards® points you transfer into your Delta SkyMiles account. This offer is good for first-time only transfers through September 30, 2011.
First register, then transfer points into miles.
And if you transfer 100,000 points or more, you can also receive 25,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). That’s enough to give you Medallion status and benefits like waived baggage fees, unlimited upgrades, Preferred Seating, and more.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by aap

The answer is NO.
There are no stops in Thailand flying to Bali. CX hub is in HK and all flight transfers are from there so only a stopover in HK is possible for the route you mentioned.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by sharka
The answer is NO.
There are no stops in Thailand flying to Bali. CX hub is in HK and all flight transfers are from there so only a stopover in HK is possible for the route you mentioned.
you could try hongkong to thailand then to singapore using CX. But then you will need to buy another ticket from singapore to bali.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
I see this promotion - Link

That's the kind of promo I was looking for...thank you!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 7:20 pm

Wonder if you can go from DPS-HKG-tokyo to SFO on a one way BA rdemption on CX?
Old Jul 14, 2011, 7:45 pm

I've been torn between these two promos because I live in a Delta hub, but I also fly to South America a lot and would benefit from the BA miles for LAN awards. Seeing as how devalued DL miles are, and that they have lots of promotions throughout the year, I already have 50k DL miles, I'm opting for the BA miles. This AMEX transfer plus my Chase card points would put me at ~225k BA miles, which should account for ample North America-South America flights.

When I fill out the box on the AMEX Rewards page to transfer the points, it gives me a warning about "applicable taxes, fees, and surcharges." I'm assuming they mean whatever fees/charges are associated with redeeming BA miles, right? I know miles aren't taxable in and of themselves, but I want to be sure I'm not setting myself up for anything other than the expected airline redemption fees. If anyone can give any guidance, I'd appreciate it...and hopefully transfer away! TYIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.