Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

BA 2 for 1 and $30K spend really worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA 2 for 1 and $30K spend really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2011, 5:35 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jmw2323
no but there is with the 2 for 1 (thread topic) on top of the 1.25
Understood. The vouchers are the only reason to keep this card.

I understood your original post to be a comparison between BAEC and AAdvantage for travel between the USA and the UK, and I make the narrow point that the ability to earn 1.25 miles per dollar is not unique to BAEC, it's available in both programs. The 2 for 1 voucher is unique, and the way it is structured it increases the value of BA miles earned by any method, including transfers from Starwood and Membership Rewards. (Another MR bonus has just been announced, 50% this time ^ ).

I regret if I did not make my point with sufficient clarity.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 5:39 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by cmjaffe
...wonder if the rest of the family who's on the family account can use the 2 4 1 cert. ...
No. The cardholder must travel, see terms here:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...2/public/en_us
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:15 pm

2 for 1 deal doesn't seem worth it if you want to fly to Asia because the miles cost on BA metal are outrageous. F from US to Thailand, for example, is 270k miles. At that price, you might as well spend 300k miles for 2 F CX tickets with better routing options and less fuel surcharges.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 10:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by pongben
2 for 1 deal doesn't seem worth it if you want to fly to Asia because the miles cost on BA metal are outrageous. F from US to Thailand, for example, is 270k miles. At that price, you might as well spend 300k miles for 2 F CX tickets with better routing options and less fuel surcharges.
gotta fly USA-LHR-BKK for instance. CX of course is TPAC.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:22 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
One of the great things about BA awards is they allow you access to their great lounges. It's nice being able to have pre-flight supper at JFK, fly across the pond and then shower + have breakfast in the arrivals lounge.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I think $1300 from the West Coast to JNB is light, unless you aren't stopping over in London. From LAX to JNB with a stopover in LHR is $3300 in YQ, taxes and fees.

I'm soured on it. I will wind up spending the extra 80k miles to fly first, not so much because I'm dying to fly first, but because the YQ is the same and I'm ready to clear out my BA account.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
So for US-LHR/Europe 1 in F, you either pay about $1300 or an extra 150K BA miles.
And there's the value proposition. Is $1300/2 (since there are two of you) worth 150K miles? That's a cost of essentially half a cent per mile. In other words, a GREAT deal.

Even if you counted the whole $1300 as the cost for 150K miles you're still looking at a cost of approximately 1cpm with a much, much higher redemption value.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 5:04 am

Programs: American Airlines, Qantas
Is it possible to get to get to Australia with the 2-4-1 ticket? For example ORD-LHR-HKG-MEL-HKG-LHR-ORD
Old Jun 2, 2011, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by smithy789
Is it possible to get to get to Australia with the 2-4-1 ticket? For example ORD-LHR-HKG-MEL-HKG-LHR-ORD
You could, but ITN needs to be entirely on BA metal, so I believe your only routing options would be:

ORD-LHR-SYD
ORD-LHR-BKK-SYD
ORD-LHR-SIN-SYD

At that, the mileage requirement is quite steep: 280k for J or 420K for F. Only useful if you wanted to plan stopovers in each connecting city. Otherwise, just forget the 2-4-1 and use BA miles to book on Qantas.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 9:26 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
No time to read the whole thread but here's my experience.

Just got back from RT NY to Tel Aviv via Heathrow in First Class. Three of the four flights were in the New First cabins. Amazing experience, especially if you like fine liquors and wines!

Used layover at the Concorde Lounge in Heathrow. We showered and changed, then twenty minutes in a massage chair to finish my rejuvenation. Love every minute of the experience.

Cost 195,000 miles and got two for one thanks to the Visa. Cost $1500 in fees which was about what one coach seat would cost. 200,000 free miles from BA thanks to my wife and I each getting the card. $30,000 is easy since I use it for business expenses. So it was a no-brainer in terms of getting the card. And, to me, a no-brainer in terms of keeping it.

Now things always change. It's not the same if you need it for Asia and the South Pacific. Nothing is best at everything. But we already have the points for our flights for a Baltic cruise next June - just waiting for the 11 month mark to get our seats. As long as BA keeps delivering this availability and the chance to get 2-4-1 and the redemption tables don't change much, I'll keep playing this game.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by beachfan
I think $1300 from the West Coast to JNB is light, unless you aren't stopping over in London. From LAX to JNB with a stopover in LHR is $3300 in YQ, taxes and fees.

I'm soured on it. I will wind up spending the extra 80k miles to fly first, not so much because I'm dying to fly first, but because the YQ is the same and I'm ready to clear out my BA account.
Stopover at LHR is killer for sure, as you get hit with all of the UK departure taxes which are quite high for premium cabins.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by ramblers63
You could, but ITN needs to be entirely on BA metal, so I believe your only routing options would be:

ORD-LHR-SYD
ORD-LHR-BKK-SYD
ORD-LHR-SIN-SYD

At that, the mileage requirement is quite steep: 280k for J or 420K for F. Only useful if you wanted to plan stopovers in each connecting city. Otherwise, just forget the 2-4-1 and use BA miles to book on Qantas.
What is the fuel surcharge on that type of award? (The BA site keeps giving me an error when I try to check).

Redeeming 2 first class tickets from North America to Australia on Qantas looks like it would require 480k miles, and you would have to go trans-Pacific.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachfan

Originally Posted by bubb1
Stopover at LHR is killer for sure, as you get hit with all of the UK departure taxes which are quite high for premium cabins.
LHR fees would look benign when it compares to the YQ attached for the LHR-JNB segment as YQ is distance based.

The 241 only has value if your destination is in the direction of Europe and NOT too far from it such as Middle East. Going to the Pacific side or Africa, the YQs are sickening. F or no F.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 4:08 pm

Does anyone have a list of BA metal routes that DO NOT involve London? The nice route map seems to have disappeared from the website.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 11:59 pm

I recently paid about $3,100 in taxes, fuel surcharges etc, for F, using 2 for 1, from west coast to CPT, return from JNB with a 2 day stopover in London on return. Total miles paid 270,000 for 2. Definately worth it to me for 21 hours of flight time. After all the miles were basically free so I don't complain about high taxes and fuel charges. Almost feels like a bargain to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.