Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ok, Chase and Citi cards Done. What's next???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ok, Chase and Citi cards Done. What's next???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2011, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, CO
Originally Posted by sdsearch
First, the reason why you want to slow down is because many credit card companies will start rejecting you as soon as they see "too many" inquiries ("hard pulls") from the past 6 months. From what you've described in another thread (that you applied for at least two AA cards), you're very close to that limit already. (The limit can be different at each bank and for each person, but even for someone with great credit, for example at Citi it could be 6 or 7 inquiries in the past 6 months.)

Second, do you realize that all "use your miles/points on any airline, hotel or car, with no blackout dates" cards are nothing more than a 1 to 2 percent cashback card disguised as a miles/points card. That 25,000 bonus miles is likely only worth about $250. Is that worth using your "last" credit inquiry for?

20k is a poor offer for Delta. They've done 30k at least in the past. So one of the reasons to hold of is to wait for the best deal, because generally you can only apply for a Delta card (and get the bonus) once in your life!

Btw, inquiries add up whether you're accepted or rejected. So once you get rejected for too many inquiries, that rejection itself adds another inquiry! So it gets to be a vicious circle. That's why people who know this tend to "pause" once they fear they might be too close to the "too many inquiries" count.

The BA deal popped out of nowhere, and only lasts a short time. The Cap One Venture deal popped out of nowhere, and only lasted a short time (already over). These deals were both way better than the Discover or Delta. Which bring up that another reason to not walk up to the "too many inquiries" count with "ordinary" offers is that you're more likely to then be accepted for the next fantastic offer which hasn't come yet, but could come at any time.

And since so many of these airlines have "one bonus in your life" or at least "one bonus every few years at most" policies, it can be shortsighted to apply for every airline's bonus right away whether it's a fantastic one or just an "ordinary" one. What are you going to do next year when you've applied for everything already and can't get any more bonuses from anyone? (That's the risk if you go "too fast".) Is this the only year in your life when you're going to need miles???

I wish I read this sooner. Might have screwed up a bit./ When you say 25K miles is only $250, I don't see it that way. I see 52K miles paying for a business class seat one way that would cost much more than $520.

I jumped the gun and applied for 2 Chase cards at once. First the BA card 100K miles ... it was taking 5 days and still pending approval and I jumped the gun and applied for CO 50K card. Might have screwed myself. We'll see.

So far only got the AA Visa 75K.
my credit score is over 740 right now.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 7:49 am

Programs: Marriott platinum, spg gold, club Carlson gold, UA silver
Ft pros

Originally Posted by Igor718
I wish I read this sooner. Might have screwed up a bit./ When you say 25K miles is only $250, I don't see it that way. I see 52K miles paying for a business class seat one

I jumped the gun and applied for 2 Chase cards at once. First the BA card 100K miles ... it was taking 5 days and still pending approval and I jumped the gun and applied for CO 50K card. Might have screwed myself. We'll see.

So far only got the AA Visa 75K.
my credit score is over 740 right now.
Don't worry, I applied for both ba and co, co got rejected and called their reconsideration number, they split the spending limit and approved me for both.

Easy 150k

Also agree the FT pros! Wait for the big bonuses! Also hit on the yearly retention phone call when the annual fee hits, be ready to cancel your card if they don't offer miles/points or at least wave your fee.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I second opening CO, not only do they currently have a good offer, they won't be around for long, so this is really your last chance. CO miles will be converted to UA, and when a good UA offer comes along, jump on that as well. You will have CO and UA bonuses in one account.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, CO
yea, let's just hope that Chase aproves as I already have quite a few chase cards and I bank with them as well.

when I called Citi and asked for them to reconsider giving me a 2nd AA Amex after I got my AA Visa, they denied. Said I had too many applications (2).
Old Apr 26, 2011, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA, CO, Delta
I also made the same mistake -- applied to 2 chase cards in the same day (UA and CO). I found out that I was rejected for both. Called for reconsideration and got CO. They lowered the credit limit of my old Chase MC card significantly in order to get the CO approved. I decided not to pursue the UA offer as it's not that hot on 2nd thought -- only 30k miles after first purchase. Figured that I'll wait till UA comes out with a better offer. You should call Chase directly and ask about your app status so you don't have to keep waiting around.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by appl3
I decided not to pursue the UA offer as it's not that hot on 2nd thought -- only 30k miles after first purchase.
Good call, 30K is very standard, my wife got the 50K.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 3:40 pm

I applied and was approved for BA 100k. Then, a few minutes later, applied for CO 50k. Got a "considering" message. Then, got a letter in mail saying CO was rejected. Called, and agent said that the system was treating my CO application like it was a duplicate, he verified a few items with me (my name was spelled wrong), asked about BA card. I said I applied for both as they seemed like good offers. He considered and said he was recommending me approval for the CO card, but that I'd have to wait for an official letter in the mail. So I guess 2 Chase on same day is possible.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by cochino_BA
Great insight SDSearch. As a newbie to the game I appreciate the advice on managing the Credit Card offers. Thanks.
That was good info!
Old Apr 26, 2011, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Igor718
yea, let's just hope that Chase aproves as I already have quite a few chase cards and I bank with them as well.

when I called Citi and asked for them to reconsider giving me a 2nd AA Amex after I got my AA Visa, they denied. Said I had too many applications (2).
If you already have an online account for all your existing Chase cards, then if they approve it it'll show up there first, days before it arrives in the mail, and thus before you've activated it. That's how I first realized I had indeed been approved for the CO card, about a month ago.

Citi's official policy is that you can only have one personal AA card (unless you get an invitation to add a second type of card from them or AA directly, which only has a small bonus (10k is for a typical offer to add an Amex when you already have the MC or Visa). To get around that, you typically these days have to wait 12 to 18 months since the last app at least, unless you lucked out on getting both apps approved when you applied for 2 personal AA cards within minutes of each other. (You might be able to apply for a business card after applying for a personal card, but for whatever reason, not vice versa! But be prepared for the possilbiity of them asking for all sorts of forms if you apply for a Citi business card these days!)

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 26, 2011 at 5:04 pm
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by thegent
I applied and was approved for BA 100k. Then, a few minutes later, applied for CO 50k. Got a "considering" message. Then, got a letter in mail saying CO was rejected. Called, and agent said that the system was treating my CO application like it was a duplicate, he verified a few items with me (my name was spelled wrong), asked about BA card. I said I applied for both as they seemed like good offers. He considered and said he was recommending me approval for the CO card, but that I'd have to wait for an official letter in the mail. So I guess 2 Chase on same day is possible.
What's the number for reconsidering? I got the CO one, rejected for BA. This got me thinking that I should give them a call.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: AA, CO, Delta
The number should be on the denial letter sent to you by Chase.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
For me, the answer is very easy - do nothing and let my Credit Score get back to where it was.

Did the BA x 2 during the last go round
Just did AA x 2 (me and my wife)
Capital One x 2 (same)
Hyatt (a few months ago)

I have watched my "excellent" credit score drop 60 points to "good". I'm told this is temporary and as someone with a paid off mortgage and no plans on big spending require borrowing, it's not a big problem - but it IS upsetting.

So be warned. Free points are great - but if you have big plans to buy a house, etc - wait awhile!
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by stevens397
For me, the answer is very easy - do nothing and let my Credit Score get back to where it was.

Did the BA x 2 during the last go round
Just did AA x 2 (me and my wife)
Capital One x 2 (same)
Hyatt (a few months ago)

I have watched my "excellent" credit score drop 60 points to "good". I'm told this is temporary and as someone with a paid off mortgage and no plans on big spending require borrowing, it's not a big problem - but it IS upsetting.

So be warned. Free points are great - but if you have big plans to buy a house, etc - wait awhile!

How long did it take after opening the new accounts to see the 'big hit' on your credit score? Days, week, month? I just did a round as well and haven't seen any thing yet.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by appl3
The number should be on the denial letter sent to you by Chase.
Yea, I figured as much but I tossed the letter. If you or anyone else may have it, that would be much appreciated!
Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:16 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Citi's official policy is that you can only have one personal AA card (unless you get an invitation to add a second type of card from them or AA directly, which only has a small bonus (10k is for a typical offer to add an Amex when you already have the MC or Visa). To get around that, you typically these days have to wait 12 to 18 months since the last app at least, unless you lucked out on getting both apps approved when you applied for 2 personal AA cards within minutes of each other. (You might be able to apply for a business card after applying for a personal card, but for whatever reason, not vice versa! But be prepared for the possilbiity of them asking for all sorts of forms if you apply for a Citi business card these days!)
I don't believe that's official policy, is it? From what I understand, Citi won't approve you for a second personal card with a bonus that's for first time card holders only, but you shouldn't have a problem applying for another. Additionally, the "within minutes" is actually same day, but better to be on the safe side and apply back to back with a focus on clearing cookies, cache, etc. or better yet, use another computer all together. I was able to apply for both personals the same day and the business ~90 days later and got approved for all (biz took some proof of address).

NOTE: The above is for CITI not Chase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.