Reload this Page >

[Expired]BA 100,000 miles promo is back

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired]BA 100,000 miles promo is back

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:34 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
Not only is it a scam, it's a crime (fraud).
Originally Posted by anush3
Oh !! so what is churning and all the discussion about it on FT then?
Churning and discussion thereof is playing within the rules set by the credit card issuers. For a very long time many banks had no such restrictions as "first time cardholders only." There's a reason many have had a dozen or more Citi AA bonuses or Barclays US Airways bonuses in the past. That's not fraud.

Knowingly attempting to acquire more than you are supposed to receive by defrauding a bank is an entirely different matter.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by superking
I can not find any other responses indicating Chase taken miles back for returning merchandises?
Dont know about the bonus but for spending, yes they do. It shows up in the same billing cycle the return happened.

You obviously have not had a reward card issued by Chase before - it does not keep any internal accounting but pass through whatever positive (earn) and negative (return) to the corresponding airline / hotel program account.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
My wife got only 25K posted. She spent less than 2,500 on the first statement. We applied on the last day of this offer just a few hours before the offer was taken down. Is anyone else in this situation? Did Chase give in?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by UA Fan
My wife got only 25K posted. She spent less than 2,500 on the first statement. We applied on the last day of this offer just a few hours before the offer was taken down. Is anyone else in this situation? Did Chase give in?
You need to contact them. I applied for the CO card with the 50K bonus on the last day for that promotion. When I called to activate the card a week or two later, the CSR first said I was qualified for the 30K bonus, which was the offer that had replaced the 50K offer. I corrected him, and he made a notation that I would get the 50K, which I did after making the first purchase and paying the first bill.

I suspect that when you called to activate your card, which would have been after the expiration of the 100K offer, your CSR may have put you down for the 50K offer that is currently on the BA website rather than the 100K offer that you wanted. Since Chase knows the application date (and, in fact, has used that date rather than activation as the trigger for spending requirements), you should be able to get that mistake rectified.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope you have screen shots on both the offer of 100K AND the application you filled out, particularly has the time stamp on the page.

If you do, just send a secured email to inform Chase the error, attached your doc files to the secured email. Chase is relatively reasonable in correcting such mistakes as long as you can substantiate your claim.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: AA, BA, CO
Originally Posted by susmaryosep
If you have been reading the other responses to this thread, you would know that CHASE will take the miles back for returned purchases, so yes you need to meet the $2500 spend to get all 100k miles.
Thanks, will make sure to hit 2.5 k in 3 months.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
If you do, just send a secured email to inform Chase the error, attached your doc files to the secured email. Chase is relatively reasonable in correcting such mistakes as long as you can substantiate your claim.
Did, and they matched it. Phew. I thot this would be another battle like with Barclays.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did, and they matched it. Phew. I thot this would be another battle like with Barclays.
Good for you.

Chase is a whole lot better than Barclays and AMEX for that matter.

In fact Chase is the fairest among all card issuers in terms of bonuses. No idea about other services but in terms of bonuses if you have met all the guidelines they would honor it by manually processing the bonus.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:22 am

Dont know about the bonus but for spending, yes they do. It shows up in the same billing cycle the return happened.

You obviously have not had a reward card issued by Chase before - it does not keep any internal accounting but pass through whatever positive (earn) and negative (return) to the corresponding airline / hotel program account.
I have had many reward cards by Chase before. Yes, for miles earned from spending, if we return the item/receive refund, it would be deduction of our miles. I understand this part, however, what about the BONUS miles? For example, the 50K on $2000 purchase or the Chase Saphire card on $3000 spending? If we return the $2000 or $3000 item we purchase after receiving the bonus points, what would it happen to the bonus? I know the 2000 miles or 3000 miles from spending would be deducted...
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good for you.

Chase is a whole lot better than Barclays and AMEX for that matter.

In fact Chase is the fairest among all card issuers in terms of bonuses. No idea about other services but in terms of bonuses if you have met all the guidelines they would honor it by manually processing the bonus.
I have never had an issue with Amex. The one time the Amex bonus did not post on time, they manually did it, but it took time.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have never had an issue with Amex. The one time the Amex bonus did not post on time, they manually did it, but it took time.
I had a targeted AMEX Business GLD a few years ago with 30K bonus. Took 3 billing cycles after meeting conditions and 3 interventions from Supervisors before I finally got the bonus "released" to the MR account. And I had all initial HARD COPY letter offer, phone records, secured email verifications, you name it I got it. I did not know where it went wrong but it was a difficult battle. Once the MR finally posted, I promptly transferred to CO and be done with the AMEX own cards.

The SPG and HHonor seem to operate a bit better but the AMEX own brands to me are totally not worth it after that fight.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by superking
I have had many reward cards by Chase before. Yes, for miles earned from spending, if we return the item/receive refund, it would be deduction of our miles. I understand this part, however, what about the BONUS miles? For example, the 50K on $2000 purchase or the Chase Saphire card on $3000 spending? If we return the $2000 or $3000 item we purchase after receiving the bonus points, what would it happen to the bonus? I know the 2000 miles or 3000 miles from spending would be deducted...
I dont know because I never have been in such situation - that a big chunk of required spend was returned.

My advice is you dont want to find out but try to make up the deficit before the spend period expires. You may be able to get away from it but then you may be not. Why take the risk and hassle?
Old Jun 18, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
couple points. The PIL who did this deal now see the 100K miles hitting. They simply spent 2500+ in the first billing cycle, and it hit about 30 days after spend, all miles.

As for the debit of returned purchases. I have to say, having had this card since the first round, Nov 2010, and done the whole 50K, 50K, 30K spend, etc, I have not found that returns netted out the mileage earned. in a subsequent period, there is a NET amount (from returns) on the bill, but one simply gets that amount of spending in that period.

For example, I had three 2500 purchases, which netted me about 7500 in bonus miles. I retuned ONE of those items in the following period, and had only about 3000 in spend giving me a BALANCE on the credit card of 500 In THAT period, and I earned roughly 500 miles. It was actually more. So the return was never deducted but the return resulted in a lower statement balance and therefore lower NEW mileage accrual.

As for the 30K 241 voucher spend, this one was NEVER affected by the returns and I hit it well before I expected to based on purchases and RETURNS. I think they just run a gross total and then trigger the voucher to your BAEC account.

Now, I'm not sure if they would TAKE AWAY the voucher were I to return too much and get BELOW an actual 30K for year.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nmenaker
c
As for the debit of returned purchases. I have to say, having had this card since the first round, Nov 2010, and done the whole 50K, 50K, 30K spend, etc, I have not found that returns netted out the mileage earned. in a subsequent period, there is a NET amount (from returns) on the bill, but one simply gets that amount of spending in that period.

For example, I had three 2500 purchases, which netted me about 7500 in bonus miles. I retuned ONE of those items in the following period, and had only about 3000 in spend giving me a BALANCE on the credit card of 500 In THAT period, and I earned roughly 500 miles. It was actually more. So the return was never deducted but the return resulted in a lower statement balance and therefore lower NEW mileage accrual.
That is what people mean, the return takes back the miles - You have a NEGATIVE entry therefore is SUBTRACTED from the new earning - and only show you the NET result.

What difference does it make - showing a net result versus showing a gross earning minus the return and then the net result? Bottom line is, miles are deducted from the return. @:-)
Old Jun 19, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
not yet

But, I've still to see a CREDIT balance result in miles deducted from the BA account. Not sure if they carry the credit over for months before they would actually repatriate miles from BA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.