[Expired]BA 100,000 miles promo is back

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired]BA 100,000 miles promo is back

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2011, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just started looking to use these BA miles I got from this offer. It's nice that BA lets you find partner awards on their web site, but is there any way to stop the booking engine from routing you through London on a trip to Asia?

I'm looking for ORD-SIN o/w on JAL in C, but I get routed on BA to London and then Qantas to SIN, and the Qantas flight only has Y available. I know that there's C available on the JAL ORD-NRT flight at least, but can't make it go that way. Do I have to call in, or is there a way to tweak the search engine? Can you somehow make it not look at BA flights?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I just started looking to use these BA miles I got from this offer. It's nice that BA lets you find partner awards on their web site, but is there any way to stop the booking engine from routing you through London on a trip to Asia?

I'm looking for ORD-SIN o/w on JAL in C, but I get routed on BA to London and then Qantas to SIN, and the Qantas flight only has Y available. I know that there's C available on the JAL ORD-NRT flight at least, but can't make it go that way. Do I have to call in, or is there a way to tweak the search engine? Can you somehow make it not look at BA flights?
You might get a more detailed response in the appropriate threads in the BA forum as this is OT here, but probably your best bet is to call BA and let them know that you can see availability on the flights you want, so could they kindly book them for you and waive the phone fee since the web site is not being very user-friendly? That way you could also request a stopover in NRT if you're so inclined.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl

Also, check out thepointsguy blog -- he has a multi-part series of posts on using the BA miles and avoiding connecting thru LHR.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The BA engine is retarded. It has 2 times more down time than up time and is getting worse by the week.

In order for the partner option to show up, you would have to hit on a date that there is no BA flight alternative (i.e. no award to LHR), then the side bar of partners would show up and let you click the partner button.

Alternatively you can try search segment by segment and then call BA to book the itinerary of which you have pieced it together via segment search and found award seats.

Search ORD-NRT, and NRT-SIN - this should pull up JL easier than do ORD-SIN search.

They are reportedly good at waive the phone booking fee when the online booking engine is broken especially when you explain to them how you find the availability and they find the same flights on their screen.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:35 pm

Business Class Seats on AA from PHX to Carribean

I recen6tly obtained the BA card....I am interested in business class seats from PHX to carribean...these would cost me 60K miles on AA....Using my BA miles will the cost also be 60K miles????

Thanks in advance....
Old Jun 10, 2011, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
The BA engine is retarded. It has 2 times more down time than up time and is getting worse by the week.

In order for the partner option to show up, you would have to hit on a date that there is no BA flight alternative (i.e. no award to LHR), then the side bar of partners would show up and let you click the partner button.

Alternatively you can try search segment by segment and then call BA to book the itinerary of which you have pieced it together via segment search and found award seats.

Search ORD-NRT, and NRT-SIN - this should pull up JL easier than do ORD-SIN search.

They are reportedly good at waive the phone booking fee when the online booking engine is broken especially when you explain to them how you find the availability and they find the same flights on their screen.
I ended up checking each segment and after many, many errors by the booking engine, finally confirmed a C segment ORD-NRT on a date I could use. I couldn't find C for NRT-SIN, but did find a Y segment a day later.

I called BA and the woman who answered didn't sound like someone who would work hard to get me what I want, but after some misunderstandings and multiple times on hold, she actually came through for me. So I have a one-way ORD-SIN with the TPAC flight in C on JAL, with a 1-night stopover in Tokyo. Taxes and fees were $328.05. I don't think there was a phone charge.

Am I correct that if C shows up later for the NRT-SIN segment, I can modify the ticket without charge? I should check that there is a C cabin. I think there is.

Pretty good, and soon I'll get the other 50,000 miles and be able to book another C one-way if I need to. I may need to, if I can't change the date of my TK HKG-LAX one-way.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by gmid2006
Hi, just wondering if the BA 100,000 mileage offer is still alive or should I wait and see if they offer it again later. Thanks
I would wait.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:39 am

Tracking your spend?

Is there an easy way to track your spend for the calender year outside of copying everything into excel and summing it?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: USAirways CP
This card sure has been my most troublesome one. Didn't get instant approval. Had to return a call to move some credit from another card. Finally got the card (just after I had returned from a long trip where I could have made the $2500 spend easily).

Then I called to verify the card was correct. It was but the previous lady did not transfer the credit line correctly so it was only $1K. The next person got that right.

Now about 6 weeks later I don't see any miles posting in my BA account (neither the 50K initial amount nor my first statement). I called and the lady (very helpful) said the miles posted. I asked was it to my BA FF#. She put me on hold for about 5 minutes and then told me they didn't have my number on my account.

Apparently when they don't have a FF# attached to an account they post the miles to a generic account where they hold them (at least that is what I was told). So I gave my account number and she said the miles should post within 7-10 days. I hope so. Fortunately I don't have any immediate needs for the miles.

I guess I've been fortunate where I've never had any kind of problems with previous account.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA, BA
According to CSR from Chase-

Billing Cycle ends the 13th every month: Event that causes 50k miles for 1st purchase to be credited
Payment Due Date is the 10th every month: Event that causes 50k miles for $2500 spend requirement to be credited

You do have the option of changing your payment due dates when you set up your account. This is what I was told and thought I'd share.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I ended up checking each segment and after many, many errors by the booking engine, finally confirmed a C segment ORD-NRT on a date I could use. I couldn't find C for NRT-SIN, but did find a Y segment a day later.

I called BA and the woman who answered didn't sound like someone who would work hard to get me what I want, but after some misunderstandings and multiple times on hold, she actually came through for me. So I have a one-way ORD-SIN with the TPAC flight in C on JAL, with a 1-night stopover in Tokyo. Taxes and fees were $328.05. I don't think there was a phone charge.

Am I correct that if C shows up later for the NRT-SIN segment, I can modify the ticket without charge? I should check that there is a C cabin. I think there is.
There is a C cabin. JL flies this route as a loop - NRT-SIN-KUL-NRT. We flew the SIN-KUL segment in 2009. The SIN-KUL is a 5th freedom flight. It is a regional C cabin, nothing to write home about but certainly better than the Y cabin.

Not sure if BA allows you to upmove to C when availability opens up. Logic says it should but it is better to check this with the agent when you book. Else ask BA forum for some answers.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:37 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Debated starting a new thread on this but decided that although it involves shifting spending off this card temporarily, it was better directed to a BA Chase thread. If you have completed your initial spending requirement to qualify for the second 50,000 mile bonus, are not trying to complete the spending for a companion ticket in this calendar year, have an Amex card that accumulates MR points, and intend to take advantage of the Amex transfer bonus, keep in mind that the 1.25 miles/dollar earned on this card will effectively be beaten until July 31 by spending on your Amex card, which with the bonus, will earn 1.5 miles/dollar spent.

I do have such a plan for a trip later this year and realized this morning that the most efficient way to earn BA miles until the end of July will be to shelve the BA card temporarily.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 2:07 am

Just a data point here. Completed 2,500 spend on Chase BA card; statement closed on the 11th; Second set of 50,000 miles posted to my account on the 12th. Can't get better service than that!
Old Jun 13, 2011, 1:02 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Unlike Starwood Amex, BA Visa came through promptly in fulfilling the bonus. It came in 2 chunks as many have reported (50,000 and then 50,000 next statement). And, I have had the BA Visa in the past (applied 2 years ago, then closed it after 6 months). I wish SPG Amex was that good in fulfilling their promised 5000 bonus points when you refer someone to their CC. It's like pulling teeth to get them to fulfill their promises and its very important to print everything and have verification from the referree that they did get approved and used their card. Even with those things, it can take 6 months to hound Amex to get the SPG points. Anyhow, I'm very pleased with the BA Visa on this promo.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Churnman
Unlike Starwood Amex, BA Visa came through promptly in fulfilling the bonus. It came in 2 chunks as many have reported (50,000 and then 50,000 next statement). And, I have had the BA Visa in the past (applied 2 years ago, then closed it after 6 months). I wish SPG Amex was that good in fulfilling their promised 5000 bonus points when you refer someone to their CC. It's like pulling teeth to get them to fulfill their promises and its very important to print everything and have verification from the referree that they did get approved and used their card. Even with those things, it can take 6 months to hound Amex to get the SPG points. Anyhow, I'm very pleased with the BA Visa on this promo.
Are you saying you had the first 100K initially offered in Nov 2009 and got the second 100K again?

Did you use the same BAEC number in your 2nd BA card?

Agree with you on AMEX about the difficulty to make it honor its various promotions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.