[Expired]BA 100,000 miles promo is back

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired]BA 100,000 miles promo is back

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA
A timing update: I was approved on 17 April, Mrs. Jato right around the same time. We both got our cards today. Be sure to double check with your CSR on 50K+50K and ask about extending the 90 day timeline due to slow card shipment.

Edit: my 90 day start time was already set after my actual approval date (+4 days). Get that date so there's no confusion about when you have to meet your $2500 spend.

Last edited by jato; Apr 27, 2011 at 10:35 pm
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by infamousdx
So I received the card a while back but my question is about FF programs:

Before this promo, I don't have miles with BA or AA. Should I even bother signing up with AA now that I will be primarily using BA as my every day card?

My thought is that even if I fly revenue on AA, I should just get credit for those miles on BA, no?
Do you plan to travel abroad using miles? If so, BA miles are very bad as they charge fuel surcharges on most flights except those by LAN.

BA allows unlimited stopovers along normal routes and so if you are based in an AA hub, you can double your miles.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:40 pm

Programs: Skyteam, OneWorld, AMEX
Hey Folks - Approved instantly but no email confirm or anything. Please excuse the laziness but I didn't peruse the 18 pages in this thread to find similar experiences.

Is the no email confirm normal?
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:42 pm

Programs: Skyteam, OneWorld, AMEX
Hi - can you please explain double your miles out of the AA hub? I know DFW & MIA are hubs - is LAX?

Thank You!

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Do you plan to travel abroad using miles? If so, BA miles are very bad as they charge fuel surcharges on most flights except those by LAN.

BA allows unlimited stopovers along normal routes and so if you are based in an AA hub, you can double your miles.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXtraveler19
Hi - can you please explain double your miles out of the AA hub? I know DFW & MIA are hubs - is LAX?

Thank You!
LAX looks like a focus city, so it might work. My wife used to work in PHX, I am based in DFW and my parents are in PHL. I used to make frequent weekend trips to these places. So I paid for a one-way flight to PHX on a Fri evening and then booked a one-way award from PHX-PHL with a stop in DFW. As there are no non-stops between PHL & PHX, DFW is a reasonable connecting point.

I flew PHX-DFW on Sun evening and a few weekends later flew DFW to PHL on a Fri eveing. My return was also a BA award from PHL-PHX with a stop in DFW. Did the PHL-DFW on Sun evening and DFW-PHX a few Fridays later. The same with the return from PHX on Sun. So with 25K miles I made two trips (PHL & PHX).

If flying from one hub to another, you might even be able to stop in non-AA hub cities. E.g., aa.com shows JFK-LAX shows some routes thru places like LAS, which is not an AA hub. You might even be able to get that. One of the benefits from flying from a hub to another hub. I have not tried that, but it looks reasonable. With AS if you fly from DFW to FAI, as.com shows some of the routes that go thru SEA,PDX,ANC, so I think if you mention that as.com shows this route, you can stop in three places. The key is to ask for a reasonable route. You prolly cannot do JFK-DFW-PHL.

Cons of BA are that you cannot make any changes (incl a date change, or even if you pay a fee) to an itin within 24 hrs of the first segment. E.g., if the first segment is on Aug 2, 4PM, you cannot make any changes to any part of the entire itin after Aug 1, 4PM That is why I book one-ways always, so that even after I start the outbound, I can still change the return. Twenty four hours before the first segment you can only make date changes, and not routing and this costs $70ish if done over the phone, but free online. The mileage redeposit fee is low at $70 though.

Note you will have to book these flights over the phone, as ba.com is not able to book aa awards with stopovers. If you ask politely, you can get the phone fee waived.

Also the 25K domestic awards are to be used only on one airline i.e. AA or AS. You can mix both, but the miles required will be higher as BA will use a distance based award chart. BA has different award charts for the number of carriers you use.

Last edited by UA Fan; Apr 28, 2011 at 11:03 am
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:38 pm

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
credit pulls database

Originally Posted by sonit
Anyone from MA apply for this card recently? I'm wondering which credit bureau Chase pulls for MA applicants.
You can find that kind of info here:
http://creditboards.com/forums/index...pp=creditpulls
Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:09 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by LAXtraveler19
Hey Folks - Approved instantly but no email confirm or anything. ... Is the no email confirm normal?
That's normal. If you don't already have a BA FF account you'll get that welcome email a day or two later. I was approved instantly and haven't gotten any emails from Chase even after activating the card.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 3:19 am

Woot! Called up the 888 # and got approved with my highest CL ever lol :x Now to wait for the card to start racking up those purchases!
Old Apr 28, 2011, 3:22 am

Programs: All of em...
Maybe prior BA 100k cardholders would have an idea on this:

Does anybody have any reason to believe that this promotion will get extended or that the application will stay up longer than expected, like the CITI AAdvantage cards?? Did they extend the sign-up period on the 100k bonus last year?
The AAdvantage apps have been up for several months past the "offer expiration date" and are still working.

I'd love to see this get extended, as I just do not think with my 6 new cards in 2 months, (1 being Chase CO card in Feb and denied Chase Southwest cards in Feb), that I will get approved for this card.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by x712xdamx
Maybe prior BA 100k cardholders would have an idea on this:

Does anybody have any reason to believe that this promotion will get extended or that the application will stay up longer than expected, like the CITI AAdvantage cards?? Did they extend the sign-up period on the 100k bonus last year?
The AAdvantage apps have been up for several months past the "offer expiration date" and are still working.

I'd love to see this get extended, as I just do not think with my 6 new cards in 2 months, (1 being Chase CO card in Feb and denied Chase Southwest cards in Feb), that I will get approved for this card.
The promotion has happened once before and it was extended on that one occasion.

Therefore no-one will know for sure (don't think we have any FT-ers who work in the Chase marketing dept. here?)
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:04 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by jato
That's normal. If you don't already have a BA FF account you'll get that welcome email a day or two later. I was approved instantly and haven't gotten any emails from Chase even after activating the card.
+1. Applied April 16 and received card in the mail yesterday. Never any email from Chase to confirm the application. I already had a BAEC account so I didn't expect an email from BA.

Be aware that Chase considers the starting date for the three months in which to spend $2500 to earn the second 50,000 miles to be the date you applied for the card. Although I didn't do this, other posts in this thread have indicated that you may request an adjustment of that date for Chase's delay in getting you the card.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:11 am

I do live by a hub (JFK). Can you please elaborate or give an example of how I'd get double miles? Thanks.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by infamousdx
I do live by a hub (JFK). Can you please elaborate or give an example of how I'd get double miles? Thanks.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16293435-post725.html
Old Apr 28, 2011, 8:43 am

For additional data points, I applied for my husband on 4/9 and got the card on 4/18. He had instant approval and we got zero notification from Chase until the card showed up.

I applied 4/21 and got the screen about needing the analysts to look more at it. I called today to see how it was coming along and it was approved on 4/23. The card hadn't been mailed yet so the CSR said she'd rush mail it and I'd get it in the next 1-2 days. She wasn't able to adjust the 90 day spend threshold.

I am intrigued by the credit limits they provided, as they are ridiculously large. Our income, however, is not.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:20 am

I am sure I am being dense

LAX looks like a focus city, so it might work. My wife used to work in PHX, I am based in DFW and my parents are in PHL. I used to make frequent weekend trips to these places. So I paid for a one-way flight to PHX on a Fri evening and then booked a one-way award from PHX-PHL with a stop in DFW. As there are no non-stops between PHL & PHX, DFW is a reasonable connecting point.

I flew PHX-DFW on Sun evening and a few weekends later flew DFW to PHL on a Fri eveing. My return was also a BA award from PHL-PHX with a stop in DFW. So with 25K miles I made two trips (PHL & PHX).

Cons of BA are that you cannot make changes to an itin 24 hrs before the first segment. That is why I book one-ways always, so that even after I start the outbound, I can still change the return. Also you can only make date changes, not routing and costs $70ish if done over the phone, but free online. The mileage redeposit fee is low at $70 though.
Does this mean that a "stopover" can be of any length? I am in Chicago, and AA has a large presence at ORD, so could I, as an example, book a flight from NYC to LA, woth an extended "stopover" in Chicago, and by doing this I would get a one way flight ( my return) from NYC to Chicago, and a one way flight (my departure) from Chicago to LA? If I have that right, is there any way to get the two complementaty legs, without a base in either NYC or LA?

Thanks a lot for your help! I have received 3 new cards in the last couple of months and am trying to decide if this is worth risking a credit pull, and possible rejection. The credit is good, but one of the 3 recent cards is a Southwest from Chase, for the 2 free RT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.