Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Advice Sought From a Young FT Member Who is Interested in Obtaining Top Elite Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice Sought From a Young FT Member Who is Interested in Obtaining Top Elite Status

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2011, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier, Air France Silver, AAdvantage, Matmid Gold
Same day.

Originally Posted by flyinbob
Take it down to MEL. Adds another 1000 miles. Are you doing a same day turn, or spending a night in a hotel?
Is it ridiculous to fly down to SYD, wait 8 hrs, and fly SYD-SFO-LAX?
Are the 15,000 EQMs worth it?
What's service like in Y?

As you may find, you are into Easter period, with fares way up, planes pretty full, and cheap fares almost non-existent. Until Labor Day you won't easily find many discounts or bargains. Maybe to the Far East, or to Australia late May to early June (when I often go to SYD and MEL), you can sometimes find good fares. Otherwise domestic flights that are cheap and available will be a tough find.

One other thing to consider. If you really only want to fly a few times a year, and would like to go international, consider forgetting the status and just buy Z fares to international destinations. You get business class seats and benefits, the option to buy up to F, and not spend all that much more money while saving a lot of time. As has been posted before, unless you are going to fly an awful lot every year, status benefits can be bought with certain fares.
I have a weekend route in the works.
Lax-syd-SFO-lax. Friday through Sunday. Eight hour layover at kingsford smith.
Any suggestions for the layover, or should I go onto MEL?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 11, 2011 at 11:50 am
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by adrouault
Being young, customs will search you.. Happened to me, as I was only staying for eight hours. If you want to go into town, you can take the Airport Link train to Circular Quay and visit the Opera House.

Service in Y is subpar.. Food is not the best, so I'd bring something aboard to supplement the "meal" that UA gives out. It's worth it, if you want to get 1K. I did that in May, and loved my eight hours in Sydney. I even met one of the UA moderators for breakfast ^
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Same day.

Now if this were me, I'd want to spend time visiting Sydney. I did one mileage run and it was a turn around and I wish I had stayed a couple of days (MEM-SFO). I suppose you can try it and see if you like it. I think long hours in Y are horrible. (Business is different) OTOH, I'm old so if you're young it may be different.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by malgudi
Is this guy for real or is he playing us?
Frankly, I don't care...my suggestion is OP aims for 1P to get *G first and 1K next year (So OP can use the lounge for international MR at least)...

From GM to 1K is difficult, especially when you don't have free "500 Miles Minimum" to make up some.

As soon as he is not reducing my chance for UDUs, I am fine...
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:48 pm

Thanks.
The problem with LAX-PVG is a min of 6 days stay.
I am thinking about doing an LAX-SYD-SFO-LAX mileage run for a weekend in May.
Any thoughts on this?
My suggestion is...if $ is not an object...buy me a ticket and take me with you, and I'll take care of our upgrades to Business Class (and at least get you into E+ if the upgrades don't clear)
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Same day.

Look at LAX-SFO-HKG-SIN and back. Likely cheaper than an Australia run and lots more miles. Plus SIN airport is famous for being a fun place to stay over 5 or 6 hours. Lots of stuff to do overnight, including getting a transit hotel room for 6 hours, about $40 US.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Look at LAX-SFO-HKG-SIN and back. Likely cheaper than an Australia run and lots more miles. Plus SIN airport is famous for being a fun place to stay over 5 or 6 hours. Lots of stuff to do overnight, including getting a transit hotel room for 6 hours, about $40 US.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Sydney works better due to timing.it's cheaper to go to syd than sin.
Is 8 hours enough of a layover to go into sydney?
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Thanks for the suggestion.
Sydney works better due to timing.it's cheaper to go to syd than sin.
Is 8 hours enough of a layover to go into sydney?
Airport Link train to Circular Quay (Opera house, harbour bridge area)
Old Mar 11, 2011, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Airport Link train to Circular Quay (Opera house, harbour bridge area)
Will I have time to walk around and get breakfast?
I will be landing at half past six.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will I have time to walk around and get breakfast?
I will be landing at half past six.
Yes. You will have time to get breakfast. Takes maybe twenty minutes to get down to CQ. I had plenty of time for breakfast and a little over an hour to walk around.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Yes. You will have time to get breakfast. Takes maybe twenty minutes to get down to CQ. I had plenty of time for breakfast and a little over an hour to walk around.
When should I be back at SYD?
Does the train go to the terminal?
I am much appreciative. My mother might think I am crazy, but I am getting excited for this mr.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 2:13 pm
In Memorium

Programs: UA 1K-3.5MM; AA Exec. Plat.; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott Platinum
yes, you should be able to get into SYD and see the sites listed.

Also, for MRs that have the 6 say stay minimum--like LAX-PVG--I have gottne around that by purchasing a RT tix, for example: LAX-PVG and then a RT tix PVG-LAX. A couple of yesrs ago I did that to PVG from Chicago and only had to complete both round trips in a single month--the fare bucket was a 6 day min. stay, 30-day max. Play around with some routes and you can wokr it that way--although sometimes the fare originiating in a foreing city si different form the special you get originiating in the US--could be same, more, or less $$.

On these MR's, I did the trip and two weeks later did it again, and stayed a couple of days each time. But technically you could do it with less time on the ground.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When should I be back at SYD?
Does the train go to the terminal?
I am much appreciative. My mother might think I am crazy, but I am getting excited for this mr.
The train goes directly to the international terminal. It's just up an escalator to find the UA check-in desk. I'd get back about three hours prior to departure. As you are without status, lines for Check in can be long.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 2:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by endrond
to OP: I know some here will consider it heresy but I strongly believe that the right thing to do is to do the flying you'd do naturally, and IF you find that you'll fall a bit short of a major hurdle then do a bit extra to get over the hump.

Put differently, there are countless good reasons to fly:
-seeing different countries
-visiting relatives
-different cities
-maintaining a long distance relationship
-meeting clients, work colleagues, etc.
-job interviews
-volunteer work
-100 more items...

Way at the bottom of the list is
-having status on an airline.

This truly is only a means to an end, not a goal in and of itself.
This is an excellent post and how I feel as well.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Being young, customs will search you.. Happened to me, as I was only staying for eight hours. If you want to go into town, you can take the Airport Link train to Circular Quay and visit the Opera House.

Service in Y is subpar.. Food is not the best, so I'd bring something aboard to supplement the "meal" that UA gives out. It's worth it, if you want to get 1K. I did that in May, and loved my eight hours in Sydney. I even met one of the UA moderators for breakfast ^
If you can find a fare you can live with, Australia would be a good first MR. It's easy, you won't need to struggle with a foreign language, and it will whet your appetite for a longer trip later.

The Airport Link train is great! It's quick, and drops you right at the ferries. If you want to pick up something to augment your meal on the return flight, there are nice cafes and coffeeshops at The Rocks where you can get something to go. The Rocks is also close to the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House, so you can stretch your legs before getting back on the plane.

Although it might be tempting to do an 8-hour turn, the flights to & from Sydney are pretty grueling. You should consider spending the night if your schedule allows it. The Russell House Hotel is fairly inexpensive, and it's in a great location at The Rocks. It has a lot of character and a very nice staff. The rate comes with a substantial Aussie breakfast.

Sigh...Now I want to go too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.