FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   [OP link EXPIRED]Hilton HHonor AMEX points - 62,500 (50k easy) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1188950-op-link-expired-hilton-hhonor-amex-points-62-500-50k-easy.html)

badgerW Jul 13, 2011 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE (Post 16724704)
Thanks for your responses and insights. A few more details about my situation...
-I have been an AMEX customer for >10 years, and will be keeping a longer term card, so the matter of existing relationship and "young" credit card is a moot point, as you point out.
-the annual fee on the SPG AMEX is coming up soon, so (after analyzing my spend), I've decided it makes the most sense to cancel.
-In the midst of this, I have a pending mortgage closing, so don't want to do ANYTHING to affect my credit score (probably being overly cautious). Therefore changing programs on the same line of credit seemed to be a way to avoid inquiries, and changing lines of credit in the midst of the closing. If not for the mortgage, I'd just do some combination of cancel and apply.
-while AMEX may pull your credit periodically and even frequently, there is a distinction between this type of "soft" pull, and a hard pull that is initiated by you as a customer when applying for a new line of credit...it's the hard pull that I want to avoid currently if possible.

If this all isn't possible, I may just hang onto the SPG until after closing, then apply for Hilton and close SPG. Anyone know if AMEX will forgive the annual fee or pro rate it if card is cancelled soon after?

Well the mortgage closing soon certainly throws a stick into things! Personally, I would not touch your credit at all, one way or the other (no new credit, no cancellations) until you have closed. Mortgage bankers are super jumpy now and will bite at anything that comes up. It probably wouldn't affect your score much one way or the other, but just the "new" credit line might cause a delay or require some additional documentation. A smooth closing is well worth the $65 SPG annual fee IMO!

I really wish I knew the answer for whether you can just "switch" one Amex into another. Since you have a longstanding relationship with Amex, I would call in and give it a try (or a couple of tries with different reps if the first one denies you). If you can switch from the SPG to the HH with no hard inquiries and no change of credit line then I would go for it. Otherwise I would just wait. I have heard that some people have been successful at getting a statement credit in the amount of the annual fee on cheaper Amexes (i.e., not Platinum or higher).

I just brought up all that stuff with the soft pulls because I'm curious why they would run a hard pull when they probably have a soft pull from within the past week or two. Especially in a situation like you're wanting, changing the affinity of a card but trying to keep the credit line the same.

ANC RED-EYE Jul 14, 2011 12:49 am

Originally Posted by badgerW (Post 16724766)
Well the mortgage closing soon certainly throws a stick into things! Personally, I would not touch your credit at all, one way or the other (no new credit, no cancellations) until you have closed. Mortgage bankers are super jumpy now and will bite at anything that comes up. It probably wouldn't affect your score much one way or the other, but just the "new" credit line might cause a delay or require some additional documentation. A smooth closing is well worth the $65 SPG annual fee IMO!

I really wish I knew the answer for whether you can just "switch" one Amex into another. Since you have a longstanding relationship with Amex, I would call in and give it a try (or a couple of tries with different reps if the first one denies you). If you can switch from the SPG to the HH with no hard inquiries and no change of credit line then I would go for it. Otherwise I would just wait. I have heard that some people have been successful at getting a statement credit in the amount of the annual fee on cheaper Amexes (i.e., not Platinum or higher).

I just brought up all that stuff with the soft pulls because I'm curious why they would run a hard pull when they probably have a soft pull from within the past week or two. Especially in a situation like you're wanting, changing the affinity of a card but trying to keep the credit line the same.

Thanks for the thoughts. You're confirming my approach to not rock the boat much just now. Also agree that the SPG annual fee is not even worth considering vs. headaches of further paperwork, or potentially getting denied the refinance. I'll wait for my SPG cycle to close (to collect the last of my points...), then call and see what is possible re: switching affinity programs (without an inquiry or change in my credit line). I'll report back!

mragin Jul 14, 2011 10:55 am

How long do you need to wait between AMEX apps? I've been poking around on FT and blogs for close to an hour and still can't find an answer.:confused:

Trying to decide if I should apply now if there's going to be an SPG Amex in the near future.

Saas Jul 14, 2011 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by eudora (Post 16663633)
So, does anyone know how long it takes for the points to be deposited into the account after application is successful? I need to book a hotel for 7/26 and the application was successful on 6/30, is it in time?

Originally Posted by Saas (Post 16664771)
I just got this card. The 20,000 after the first purchase was deposited into my account 4 days after that purchase was made. I have not hit the $500.00 spending limit yet to get the other 30,000.

I just hit the $500.00 mark on Sunday and the second bonus of 30,000 hit today. Didn't even have to wait until the end of the billing cycle.

PSilks Jul 16, 2011 6:56 pm

not me

I got the card around May 1, met the spending requirement, and still waiting for the 30000. I was told up to 3 months when I called. So, will be calling again soon. You were lucky to have them credited. I also got the Citi Hilton and I am still waiting on the 40000 to be credited. Might have start calling on that one too!!!!!!!:confused:

the-dude Jul 19, 2011 7:44 am

Originally Posted by mragin (Post 16727217)
How long do you need to wait between AMEX apps? I've been poking around on FT and blogs for close to an hour and still can't find an answer.:confused:

Trying to decide if I should apply now if there's going to be an SPG Amex in the near future.

I got Amex Plat in January and this HHonors card in May.

Saas Jul 19, 2011 11:58 am

Originally Posted by PSilks (Post 16740915)
I got the card around May 1, met the spending requirement, and still waiting for the 30000. I was told up to 3 months when I called. So, will be calling again soon. You were lucky to have them credited. I also got the Citi Hilton and I am still waiting on the 40000 to be credited. Might have start calling on that one too!!!!!!!:confused:

Call them ASAP.

I got the Citi Hilton card too and my bonus posted from that when the statement closed. I have a bunch of Hilton points now :)

booyaa Jul 19, 2011 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Saas (Post 16757229)
I got the Citi Hilton card too and my bonus posted from that when the statement closed. I have a bunch of Hilton points now :)

+1 :D

bitachu Jul 19, 2011 7:03 pm

just curious.. looking to sign for this amex...if i get this one..will i not be eligible for the citi hilton cards?

saacman5033 Jul 19, 2011 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by bitachu (Post 16759847)
just curious.. looking to sign for this amex...if i get this one..will i not be eligible for the citi hilton cards?

This card has no impact on your ability to get the citi hilton card aside from being one more credit pull.

ddfr Jul 19, 2011 7:18 pm

amex 2500 point bonus

I believe that this card comes with a 2500 point bonus for each of your 1st 4 Hilton stays paid with this card in the 1st 18 months of cardmembership. I have already gotten 1 of these bonuses.

However, my family and I are going for a long stay at a Hilton for which I prefer to pay with with a different credit card. I was wondering if I could "split" the bill and pay say $100 of the bill with the AE Hilton card and pay the balance on the other credit card.

If I did this, would this be considered a "stay" and would I be eligible for the 2500 bonus points.

Needless to say, any insights would be very much appreciated.

Saas Jul 20, 2011 7:32 am

Originally Posted by bitachu (Post 16759847)

Not at all, but I recommend applying for both on the same day.

ANC RED-EYE Jul 21, 2011 10:39 am

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE (Post 16724952)
Thanks for the thoughts. You're confirming my approach to not rock the boat much just now. Also agree that the SPG annual fee is not even worth considering vs. headaches of further paperwork, or potentially getting denied the refinance. I'll wait for my SPG cycle to close (to collect the last of my points...), then call and see what is possible re: switching affinity programs (without an inquiry or change in my credit line). I'll report back!

Reporting back. To review my situation:
-have the SPG AMEX but have decided my spending (earning) doesn't justify the fee.
-want to switch to Hilton card for the bonus
-currently in process of closing a refinance, so don't want to rock the credit boat by changing my credit lines or having any hard inquiries.

My SPG points posted recently, so I called today to ask to switch programs. The agent put me on hold, but returned and reported it is not possible to switch from SPG - HHonors without a new application. He did offer to switch to some generic AMEX travel options, however, so it would have been possible to change, just not to HHonors. I suspect they have some kind of contract with the specific affinity programs not to switch to a competitors product??

He did advise me, however, that I have 60 days after being charged the annual fee to cancel the card and have the fee reversed. Just FYI to anyone interested in AMEX policy.

Happy Jul 21, 2011 11:18 am

SPG retention bonus - $50 statement credit

RED EYE, have you tried to SM AMEX asking them to offer you some help to partially offset the SPG annual fee?

The offers range from a low $25 credit to a $50 credit, or 2K to 5K SPG pts.

My husband's card got $50 statement credit on first request. Same wordings on mine got me a 2K SPG pts. I wrote back to ask them matching the $50 statement credit and I offered to return the 2K SPG pts, or they up the SPG pts to 5K. I then got an additional $50 statement credit and also kept the 2K SPG pts which they said could not be reverted.

In light of your mortgage application, may be you could try this before doing all the card conversion dance to avoid the $65 fee?

I am of the camp that a smooth closing is well worth the $65 fee but you could ask little something to reduce the fee substantially.

SM is your best friend. Calling may not produce same result. Hint: pick a time that the SM would be handled by oversea center.

ANC RED-EYE Jul 21, 2011 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 16770663)
RED EYE, have you tried to SM AMEX asking them to offer you some help to partially offset the SPG annual fee?

The offers range from a low $25 credit to a $50 credit, or 2K to 5K SPG pts.

My husband's card got $50 statement credit on first request. Same wordings on mine got me a 2K SPG pts. I wrote back to ask them matching the $50 statement credit and I offered to return the 2K SPG pts, or they up the SPG pts to 5K. I then got an additional $50 statement credit and also kept the 2K SPG pts which they said could not be reverted.

In light of your mortgage application, may be you could try this before doing all the card conversion dance to avoid the $65 fee?

I am of the camp that a smooth closing is well worth the $65 fee but you could ask little something to reduce the fee substantially.

SM is your best friend. Calling may not produce same result. Hint: pick a time that the SM would be handled by oversea center.

Thanks for the advice. I had called the retention department earlier, and was offered 1K points - which didn't seem generous enough to me. Perhaps a follow up SM would be more productive.