Wiki Posts
Search

Q1 2011 Car Rental Bonus Promos!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2011, 3:25 am

Programs: M&M
Hi Evan!

You're doing a great job!

Isn't there any new M&M (Lufthansa) promotion, especially for Germany, such as the 3K AVIS promo with double miles for LH HON members?

I'm renting a car normally twice per week, just for a day, and the 2x 3K miles AVIS promo was just perfect - but ending 31/03
Old Mar 30, 2011, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by HONUA
Hi Evan!

You're doing a great job!

Isn't there any new M&M (Lufthansa) promotion, especially for Germany, such as the 3K AVIS promo with double miles for LH HON members?

I'm renting a car normally twice per week, just for a day, and the 2x 3K miles AVIS promo was just perfect - but ending 31/03
If that question was directed towards the subscribers of this thread I hope they reply with good news and more promos to post

If it was directed at me?..... I hold nothing back. I have no secret promos that are not posted at mile marker #1.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Amtrak/Enterprise Earn 3X points EXP EXTENDED – Exp: May 31, 2011 - Min: 1 day

B6/Hertz 3X points, save 20% CDP 1790143 & PC 150393 EXP EXTENDED – Exp: Apr 30, 2011 – Min: 2 days

VS/Sixt 2X miles EXP EXTENDED - Exp: May 31, 2011 - Min: 1 day

VS/Sixt 3X miles EXP EXTENDED - Exp: May 31, 2011 - Min: 3 days

VS/Sixt 3X miles @ LHR EXP EXTENDED- Exp: May 31, 2011 - Min: 1 day
Old Mar 30, 2011, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

New thread

The new Q2 thread is now posted on MilesBuzz!

Q2 2011 Car Rental Bonus Promos!

Expired promotions removed. Hot List is kinda pathetic

Let's all move over there now Please keep the links coming!
Old Apr 1, 2011, 2:34 am

Programs: Skyteam, OneWorld, AMEX
Trying the HH program in FLL 4/14 - any recent confirm of results?

Originally Posted by azepine00
Hilton expires 4/30 now and GPP 6/30
(btw GPP offer is really "hotter" than HH given their better value due to free transferability, cash&points option and a few other features)
Old Apr 25, 2011, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
newbie here --when it comes to rental cars overseas

have found I need to be in Holland from April 27 to April 28 so just a few hours over one day. Need to drive maybe 300 miles max.

May need to carry a family of 3--kids plus luggage on the trip.

Am seeking discount coupons and anything that may earn miles on most major coupons.

car rental agency: no real preference but we do like Avis.

AMS Schiphol Airport I think has all the normal agencies. I might even use my Cap One card and pay this off with points as it is a travel related expense. And Cap One cards do not seem to charge a % fee over there for purchases. I would pay/set it up over here though.

Thanks
MM
Old Apr 25, 2011, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Marathon Man

have found I need to be in Holland from April 27 to April 28 so just a few hours over one day. Need to drive maybe 300 miles max.

Am seeking discount coupons and anything that may earn miles on most major coupons.

AMS Schiphol Airport I think has all the normal agencies. I might even use my Cap One card and pay this off with points as it is a travel related expense. And Cap One cards do not seem to charge a % fee over there for purchases. I would pay/set it up over here though.

Thanks
MM
Newbie ?! Marathon Man... you and I go back to the 90s from another FF mile site and you're well known here on FT.

You might want to look at the Q2 thread as it is more up to date.

At AMS I rented from Alamo and was not disappointed. Very reasonable AND a 1-way dropped of at a local office in Paris.

Check out the sticky Avis Discount Codes in the Avis forum. I recommend setting your preferences to the max number of posts per page and then start with the last page and work your way back so you can get the more recent info. Use your browser to search the page text for "AMS", "Schiphol", "Amsterdam", and "Netherlands". Search case-insensitive as so many here on FT haven't been introduce to the "shift" key.

This thread is more for mile/point promos but, since we go back a long ways, .....

My favorite Avis AWD codes are:
A074800 Citicorp Leisure Travel
A972200 Farmers? Deloitte? - EARNS NO MILES/POINTS
A756900 American Express
A415900 BJ's Wholesale
A108364 Costco
A686200 Priceline
B021615 Wal-Mart Shoppers

Budget BCD:
W852856 Costco Travel
S208200 American Express
W852800 Costco
W852849 Costco on-line promotion
W810100 Sam's Club
W810011 Wal-Mart Shoppers
U283300 From email from Budget to me

Also, although Sun Microsystems is no more... the Budget code lives on V791300

Also, there is a really hot Avis promo through AF/KL Flying Blue noted in the Q2 thread. VERY lucrative but requires multiple rentals and using the AF AWD code. Since this doesn't sound like a biz trip I am guessing that you will do better to use another AWD that gives a better rate than go for FF miles.

NEWBIE.... NEWBIE my a$$ !! :-:

[And, yes, I realize you meant "to rental cars overseas". I just couldn't resist.]
Old Apr 25, 2011, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks
MM
Well, the first question is, do you have insurance that will work overseas ("umbrella" or whatever)? (Your normal US car insurance by itself almost certainly does not work overseas.) If not, does your Cap One card cover insurance completely? (Many credit cards pretend to, until you read the fine print.) And is declining all CDW (a necessity for any possible credit card coverage) even possible in Netherlands (I know it can be difficult to impossible in some countries overseas, while not a problem in another country next door). I have no experience renting in Netherlands myself.

If you need insurance coverage, that's not covered by most coupons, etc. So that may change things completely (if one company has a lower rate before insurance, but another company has a lower rate including insurance).

The last thing you want is to be stuck with a giant bill because of some damage to the car. That would be so enormous (compared to the actual rental cost), it's to be avoided at all costs. That's why, if you've never rented overseas before, I feel you need to figure this out first (or just bite the bullet and decide you'll get all the coverage, since it's only a very short rental anyway).

Also, I hope you know how to drive stick. In Europe, even if you can get an automatic, it's typically about twice as expensive as a stick shift from most rental car companies (because they know mostly only foreigners such as Americans will ask for it!).
Old Apr 25, 2011, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Evan!
Newbie ?! Marathon Man... you and I go back to the 90s from another FF mile site and you're well known here on FT.

You might want to look at the Q2 thread as it is more up to date.

At AMS I rented from Alamo and was not disappointed. Very reasonable AND a 1-way dropped of at a local office in Paris.

Check out the sticky Avis Discount Codes in the Avis forum. I recommend setting your preferences to the max number of posts per page and then start with the last page and work your way back so you can get the more recent info. Use your browser to search the page text for "AMS", "Schiphol", "Amsterdam", and "Netherlands". Search case-insensitive as so many here on FT haven't been introduce to the "shift" key.

This thread is more for mile/point promos but, since we go back a long ways, .....

My favorite Avis AWD codes are:
A074800 Citicorp Leisure Travel
A972200 Farmers? Deloitte? - EARNS NO MILES/POINTS
A756900 American Express
A415900 BJ's Wholesale
A108364 Costco
A686200 Priceline
B021615 Wal-Mart Shoppers

Budget BCD:
W852856 Costco Travel
S208200 American Express
W852800 Costco
W852849 Costco on-line promotion
W810100 Sam's Club
W810011 Wal-Mart Shoppers
U283300 From email from Budget to me

Also, although Sun Microsystems is no more... the Budget code lives on V791300

Also, there is a really hot Avis promo through AF/KL Flying Blue noted in the Q2 thread. VERY lucrative but requires multiple rentals and using the AF AWD code. Since this doesn't sound like a biz trip I am guessing that you will do better to use another AWD that gives a better rate than go for FF miles.

NEWBIE.... NEWBIE my a$$ !! :-:

[And, yes, I realize you meant "to rental cars overseas". I just couldn't resist.]
LOLLLLLLL

yeah newbie on renting cars over there indeed!!!

but yeah, not one in miles land or in here

thanks for all the info and codes!!! in fact some of the ones you gave did provide great discounts on Avis and Budget, so I may get one with the best combination. Much appreciated.

and so was the dig on me hahaha

I will get you back some day lol

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, the first question is, do you have insurance that will work overseas ("umbrella" or whatever)? (Your normal US car insurance by itself almost certainly does not work overseas.) If not, does your Cap One card cover insurance completely? (Many credit cards pretend to, until you read the fine print.) And is declining all CDW (a necessity for any possible credit card coverage) even possible in Netherlands (I know it can be difficult to impossible in some countries overseas, while not a problem in another country next door). I have no experience renting in Netherlands myself.

If you need insurance coverage, that's not covered by most coupons, etc. So that may change things completely (if one company has a lower rate before insurance, but another company has a lower rate including insurance).

The last thing you want is to be stuck with a giant bill because of some damage to the car. That would be so enormous (compared to the actual rental cost), it's to be avoided at all costs. That's why, if you've never rented overseas before, I feel you need to figure this out first (or just bite the bullet and decide you'll get all the coverage, since it's only a very short rental anyway).

Also, I hope you know how to drive stick. In Europe, even if you can get an automatic, it's typically about twice as expensive as a stick shift from most rental car companies (because they know mostly only foreigners such as Americans will ask for it!).
good points! I have read some horror stories about insurance so for the fact that I am there for 36hrs I may just get the ins at the car rental agent. heck, I will earn more miles by paying for it right? lol

Until I learn more about this stuff (and would with more notice for next time) I guess it's best to be safe.

MM
Old Apr 26, 2011, 6:29 am
Original Poster

good points! I have read some horror stories about insurance so for the fact that I am there for 36hrs I may just get the ins at the car rental agent. heck, I will earn more miles by paying for it right? lol

Until I learn more about this stuff (and would with more notice for next time) I guess it's best to be safe.

MM
If you have an Amex card you might be interested to know that most Amex cards cover the following as the de-facto standard:
  • It's worldwide except for Australia, New Zealand, Italy, Ireland, Israel, and Jamaica.
  • No deductible. But car rental agency "administrative fees" (when an accident occurs) are not covered. Hertz is at $500. No one - NO ONE - covers that.
  • Maxes out at 30-days for a single rental.
  • No liability coverage. Your personal policy (if present) will kick in for liability. Check with your personal car insurance carrier about liability coverage overseas.
  • Premium and humongous vehicles as well as trucks are NOT covered. As well as cars valued over $50K. The coverage is not "UP to $50K" but rather you have ZERO coverage if the vehicle value exceeds $50K.
  • Does not cover "loss of use" fees which can run in the thousands of dollars because the agency uses the rack rate to calculate how much money they lost while the car was in repair. You can fight this charge but, hey, let me know how that works out for ya!
  • It is secondary coverage and you must first file with your primary carrier and THEN the insurance from the CC takes over. So Amex would only cover the deductible and any damage exceeding your personal coverage limits. If the agency charges an administrative fee of $500 (not covered) and your deductible is $500 you have gained NOTHING from the "built-in" coverage except two forms, two companies, two massive headaches, etc.

So one might want to consider their premium car rental protection. It's $24.95 per rental - NOT PER DAY - up to 21 days for a single rental. It's primary coverage not secondary. There's no fee to enroll. And you can drop and re-enroll as much as you want. It overs some liability and loss/theft of personal items in the vehicle. It has some D&D thrown in there too. It also covers the "loss of use" that can be devastatingly high!

It should be noted that even the premium protection does not cover the arbitrary administrative fee most agencies charge when you have an "incident".

Although I don't carry a Diners Club card I understand their basic coverage beats Amex. Here.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Evan!
Although I don't carry a Diners Club card I understand their basic coverage beats Amex. Here.
Indeed, Diners Club always argues against loss of use on my behalf and has so far always won with Avis. Only had to pay an administrative fee of $100 the last time (no administrative fee before that). And it's always primary.

However, if someone (in the US/Canada) doesn't already have a Diners Club card, it's immaterial, because you still can't apply for a new one (and it may be a long time yet before you can, given the snail's pace of the transition of Diners Club North America from Citi who sold it to Bank of Montreal/Harris Bank who bought it).
Old Jun 1, 2011, 11:48 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Deleted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.