FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Q1 2011 Car Rental Bonus Promos!
View Single Post
Old Apr 25, 2011, 7:49 pm
Evan!

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
newbie here --when it comes to rental cars overseas

have found I need to be in Holland from April 27 to April 28 so just a few hours over one day. Need to drive maybe 300 miles max.

May need to carry a family of 3--kids plus luggage on the trip.

Am seeking discount coupons and anything that may earn miles on most major coupons.

car rental agency: no real preference but we do like Avis.

AMS Schiphol Airport I think has all the normal agencies. I might even use my Cap One card and pay this off with points as it is a travel related expense. And Cap One cards do not seem to charge a % fee over there for purchases. I would pay/set it up over here though.

Thanks
MM
Newbie ?! Marathon Man... you and I go back to the 90s from another FF mile site and you're well known here on FT.

You might want to look at the Q2 thread as it is more up to date.

Q2 2011 Car Rental Bonus Promos!

At AMS I rented from Alamo and was not disappointed. Very reasonable AND a 1-way dropped of at a local office in Paris.

Check out the sticky Avis Discount Codes in the Avis forum. I recommend setting your preferences to the max number of posts per page and then start with the last page and work your way back so you can get the more recent info. Use your browser to search the page text for "AMS", "Schiphol", "Amsterdam", and "Netherlands". Search case-insensitive as so many here on FT haven't been introduce to the "shift" key.

This thread is more for mile/point promos but, since we go back a long ways, .....

My favorite Avis AWD codes are:
A074800 Citicorp Leisure Travel
A972200 Farmers? Deloitte? - EARNS NO MILES/POINTS
A756900 American Express
A415900 BJ's Wholesale
A108364 Costco
A686200 Priceline
B021615 Wal-Mart Shoppers

Budget BCD:
W852856 Costco Travel
S208200 American Express
W852800 Costco
W852849 Costco on-line promotion
W810100 Sam's Club
W810011 Wal-Mart Shoppers
U283300 From email from Budget to me

Also, although Sun Microsystems is no more... the Budget code lives on V791300

Also, there is a really hot Avis promo through AF/KL Flying Blue noted in the Q2 thread. VERY lucrative but requires multiple rentals and using the AF AWD code. Since this doesn't sound like a biz trip I am guessing that you will do better to use another AWD that gives a better rate than go for FF miles.

NEWBIE.... NEWBIE my a$$ !! :-:

[And, yes, I realize you meant "to rental cars overseas". I just couldn't resist.]