Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Amex gift cards via rebate websites for Mint purchases (Currently does not work)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex gift cards via rebate websites for Mint purchases (Currently does not work)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2011, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
To me it's obvious that there a members on here who like to give people a hard time regardless. What I don't understand is how they switch over to the "dark side" and start helping people with the deal, wouldn't that in their way of thinking kill a deal even faster or with higher probability? They then fight with people that they know more than other people on this deal. They will then suggest that they had been doing this way longer than anyone else... I could go on and on... at the end of the day they really just get their kicks arguing and not being helpful.
You just dont get it. You start a thread solely for your own personal gain. In the process you helped kill a deal that many members here used. Then you attack members that help other members via PM instead of in the open forum. You were warned by many members what would happen. You have no one to blame but yourself.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by QL_714
You just dont get it. You start a thread solely for your own personal gain. In the process you helped kill a deal that many members here used. Then you attack members that help other members via PM instead of in the open forum. You were warned by many members what would happen. You have no one to blame but yourself.
I thoroughly disagree. There are countless FTers who have links in their sig line for referrals for many things, not just Astrophsx. I also don't see him attacking anyone in this thread but rather calling a lemon a lemon. And when a lemon is hiding what they are, they don't like it and get defensive. I have benefitted from his sharing of information and appreciate he posted this deal here.

For those of you here arguing like high schoolers and having to have the last word on everything, put on your big girl panties, take the higher road and ignore it. We are all strangers here, thus unimportant to each other and someone else's antagonism should have zero effect our behavior.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
now HERE's a scheme I would NEVER do, but WOW! Consider THIS:

Ok...

So maybe there are between 100-500 people who do Amex GCs like we did. Buy at BC, use GCs to get coins at mint, repeat.

They have come to trust this without issue. They are now desperate to do something like it again.

So, some poster in FT comes along who has a few thousand posts and seems to know something about something and introduces a new place to cash the GCs out!

a website that will take the card and charge like $11.50 to cash out one $1,000 card.

Instantly, many flock to it because this means they can still earn $4.50 on every card they bought thru BC!

At first, the site indeed delivers. It gives a cash payment into paypal or something --or mails you a check for $0.44 cents to get it in a week or some higher charge for express mail. Hundreds flock to it and someone at the site is tracking this.

It even has a few glitches--the usual few normal days of accepted turn around is temporarily interrupted but the company ALWAYS makes good on this and apologizes for the mistakes when they occur. Everyone is impressed and business goes on for a few weeks. In fact, all here even trust them MORE because of the way they made good on the errors.

but this is part of zee plan...

One day, when about 500 people--new and old--have, in the same week's period, put at least $1,000 each into the system, the site crashes. Some people had loaded up 10 cards... more. Some did some $500 cards, but most did at least one.

There are people who, even though they'd use this service, might post questions in FT about the company... where it's from, how it could be doing this at this cost, who runs it, etc, but since it's been delivering, not many really question much of anything.

And all the while, the fake company has been baiting people. Taking a loss on hundreds of GC conversions JUST to reel 'em in. And reel 'em in they do! Oh yes they do!

Why, even the FTer who set forth the first post looks as though he was reeled in as his money is now also tied up in this company.

And when it crashes, it's gone.
Lost in Indonesia or something far far east, or maybe just Bulgaria.

at least a half a million dollars.
gone

in the pockets of the one scammer-FTer and the far off hacker superstar who knows nothing of miles but simply needed a gig in HIS world of money-hacking and a person to give him the golden goose. The FTer knows this person from some frequent business trips to that region and they often chatted but never had anything big to deal on. When he explains to his hackster friend how he can get 500 people to easily put in at least $1,000 it's an easy sell.

The rest is technology and patience.

...at least a half a million dollars.

Now THAT my friends, would be totally sick!

MM

I will take congratulatory remarks only for my imagination and yes, I think this should be printed in this month's TalkMail newsletter
Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:36 pm

Programs: Several dozen
MM - think you forgot the step where the company requests that potential customers give up a checking account and credit card number so they can be authenticated and their money safely transferred to their account. As part of the new Antimoneylaundering Act of 2011 customers are also required by law to provide a valid tax identification number and wait 2 days for their funds to arrive.

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Ok...

I will take congratulatory remarks only for my imagination and yes, I think this should be printed in this month's TalkMail newsletter
Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
MM - think you forgot the step where the company requests that potential customers give up a checking account and credit card number so they can be authenticated and their money safely transferred to their account. As part of the new Antimoneylaundering Act of 2011 customers are also required by law to provide a valid tax identification number and wait 2 days for their funds to arrive.
lol well they don't wanna be like greedy or anything! hehehe
Old Jan 19, 2011, 8:16 pm

Anyone finding AMEXGiftcardworthiness using Amazon Payments? Two POC tests have failed.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 8:32 pm

MM, great imagination ^..just add referral bonus (or discount in this case ) to this and it will surely make it popular in no time

Ok...

So maybe there are between 100-500 people who do Amex GCs like we did. Buy at BC, use GCs to get coins at mint, repeat.

They have come to trust this without issue. They are now desperate to do something like it again.

So, some poster in FT comes along who has a few thousand posts and seems to know something about something and introduces a new place to cash the GCs out!

a website that will take the card and charge like $11.50 to cash out one $1,000 card.

Instantly, many flock to it because this means they can still earn $4.50 on every card they bought thru BC!

At first, the site indeed delivers. It gives a cash payment into paypal or something --or mails you a check for $0.44 cents to get it in a week or some higher charge for express mail. Hundreds flock to it and someone at the site is tracking this.

It even has a few glitches--the usual few normal days of accepted turn around is temporarily interrupted but the company ALWAYS makes good on this and apologizes for the mistakes when they occur. Everyone is impressed and business goes on for a few weeks. In fact, all here even trust them MORE because of the way they made good on the errors.

One day, when about 500 people--new and old--have, in the same week's period, put at least $1,000 each into the system, the site crashes. Some people had loaded up 10 cards... more. Some did some $500 cards, but most did at least one.

There are people who, even though they'd use this service, might post questions in FT about the company... where it's from, how it could be doing this at this cost, who runs it, etc, but since it's been delivering, not many really question much of anything.

And all the while, the fake company has been baiting people. Taking a loss on hundreds of GC conversions JUST to reel 'em in. And reel 'em in they do! Oh yes they do!

Why, even the FTer who set forth the first post looks as though he was reeled in as his money is now also tied up in this company.

gone

in the pockets of the one scammer-FTer and the far off hacker superstar who knows nothing of miles but simply needed a gig in HIS world of money-hacking and a person to give him the golden goose. The FTer knows this person from some frequent business trips to that region and they often chatted but never had anything big to deal on. When he explains to his hackster friend how he can get 500 people to easily put in at least $1,000 it's an easy sell.

MM

Old Jan 19, 2011, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Anyone finding AMEXGiftcardworthiness using Amazon Payments? Two POC tests have failed.
Worked for me earlier this month. Although it did take them over a week to actually post the charge to the gift card.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
There's a mathematician somewhere writing a pretty good game theory paper about this.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:55 pm

Ok...

gone

MM

Why would it be sick?
You should make one correction; it should be 5k people not 500.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well yes... and 'totally sick' can also mean 'cool'

and with amazon payments, I found you had to have a real CC in both the sender's acct AND the receivers... along side the GC that's being used. The real CC does not get used but its being there helps validate the account or something about the GC being ok to be run. Of course, this was all right before they shut down my 6 accounts. Lesson: NEVER put the same CC into any two accounts, among other things...
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:41 am

Good News

OK, MM I'll continue POC testing AP.

*POC just tested positive on AP*

well yes... and 'totally sick' can also mean 'cool'

and with amazon payments, I found you had to have a real CC in both the sender's acct AND the receivers... along side the GC that's being used. The real CC does not get used but its being there helps validate the account or something about the GC being ok to be run. Of course, this was all right before they shut down my 6 accounts. Lesson: NEVER put the same CC into any two accounts, among other things...

Last edited by AlohaDaveKennedy; Jan 20, 2011 at 4:07 pm
Old Jan 20, 2011, 8:06 am

Programs: AA PLT, DL, QF, CO, Married (does that count as a program?)
Deleted.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
MM, thanks for the referral...I've sent over all my financial information and am awaiting a check. Site says 12-52 weeks, any experience with average times? Can I expedite the check by paying an additional fee?!?!
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:23 am

I know that Amex says it can take up to 15 business days for the refund to process. What times are people experiencing for the refund to post to your original CC? Has anyone had a refund go through yet? We're just hitting the one weeks mark since this fell apart, so I realize it may be a few more days or a week until we get any data points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.