Search

Miles for Nothing

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2010, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by saad
that's 6 miles more than me....
I have had two occasions in my mile redemption world where I was just a few miles short of an award. These took place around 2000-2001

I was short 700 on AA and they let me get the ticket

I was short--get this--24 miles on UA and they said there was nothing they could do.

I had continuous activity on my CCs for both airlines.

so those 6 miles might just help me one day! woo hoo
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:03 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
I have received AMEX MR points for volunteering. I would not call that miles for nothing, as I have done some volunteer work. For me, getting bonus miles for having/using a credit card is miles for nothing. Either way, I am grateful that it is so easy to acquire miles and points.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it is relatively easy to get points and miles and I am glad as well.

The key is to manage this and keep at it.

that's the 'payment' and it's one I do not mind making.

Anyway there have been threads about this subject but I have received miles for buying things at stores that, when you return the items, can give you your money back in different ways and not as a credit back onto the same mile-earning card.

And one of my most recent but actually non intentional small mile-earning for nothing gig was this:

I had bought a gift cert for myself at a ski shop I will visit later this winter. It was for $100. Then a friend of mine needed gloves now so I gave him the cert. He ended up buying $90 worth of stuff at that shop and handed me $90 in cash and a new cert they made for $10. So I got cash back on it and still kept the miles.

Oh well, every one counts, eh?
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:53 am

Programs: Several dozen
But to get those credit cards you have to work to keep your credit good.

Originally Posted by onthego15
I have received AMEX MR points for volunteering. I would not call that miles for nothing, as I have done some volunteer work. For me, getting bonus miles for having/using a credit card is miles for nothing. Either way, I am grateful that it is so easy to acquire miles and points.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Thanks for posting this information. I once lost quite a few miles on US Airways when I stopped traveling for a while and my FF account went inactive. These ideas will help me prevent that from happening again with my current FF accounts.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by LikeToJourney
Thanks for posting this information. I once lost quite a few miles on US Airways when I stopped traveling for a while and my FF account went inactive. These ideas will help me prevent that from happening again with my current FF accounts.
welcome to ft liketojourney....stick around & you will find a lot of useful info....
Old Oct 18, 2010, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by ung1
Sure, break your foot onboard, sabotage ICE, cause the aircraft to be switched to a non-A380, give the Chauffeur the wrong address then claim he didn't turn up, have someone steal your seat, and then send a complaint to Customer Services.
Is it true? do you get extra miles if a flight that was supposed to be operated by the a380 is operated by another aircraft?

thanks
Old Oct 20, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: Senator, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold
I've a question...what about getting money from surveys??one time fee is 49$...is this safe or not??
Old Oct 20, 2010, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by cz4444
I've a question...what about getting money from surveys??one time fee is 49$...is this safe or not??
So you want to pay money to be paid money. That doesn't sound like "miles for nothing."
Old Oct 20, 2010, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
where are you finding these surveys????
Old Oct 21, 2010, 6:33 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Complain to CS about anything
Old Oct 21, 2010, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gohan403
Complain to CS about anything
best idea yet....
Old Oct 21, 2010, 4:05 pm

Programs: Too Many.....
Originally Posted by g11
Let's all hear about dumpster diving for points stories
You mean to tell me that people don't remember the days of the dumpster diving for the Wendys/Airtran.. I managed to work a system out with local kids and reaped 12 round trips on different family accounts... That was a Sweet Deal!
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:13 am

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Only ones I know of are places like e-miles.com that give miles per survey.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by party_boy
Only ones I know of are places like e-miles.com that give miles per survey.
and even mypoints clicks can result in UA miles.

Oh btw party boy, your PM thing is full. I was gonna reply but I will not post in that thread you PMd me about so there ya go. Done.

MM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.