[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2011, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by deadmeat
I had two cards that I cancelled and thought that after 6 months I could reapply but found out that wasn't the case and was rejected. So do I have to wait 18 months after my original approved application or 18 months after my rejected application?
Original approved application is how I read the posts here, and it worked out for me. I had a rejected application (first time cardmembers only) about 10 months prior.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Surface Interval
That tends to get updated over on the CC forum: citi-retention-bonus-reports-all-cards

Read the last 3-4 pages for the most recent info. Let us know how well you do.
Thanks Surface Interval! I went over there and saw that Citi does, have incentives to not cancel. I called and decided to keep, and use, the card after I was offered $85 "statement credit" if I make 5 purchases in the next 3 months. I went for it. I'm very happy with my Citi AmEx AA card. There's a current promo for 2x miles on right now, too. I recently booked a SFO-Haneda (Tokyo) r/t flight for only 30K miles. I like Citi and will be glad to keep on being a card user.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 2:24 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Surface Interval
Yes, for most getting a retention bonus is just dessert - the intention is often to cancel anyway. BTW, I've got retention bonuses right after meeting my min spend for a bonus. No need to wait a year.

From the 100's of posts that I've read thus far, it is difficult to state what really constitutes a group consensus. I think you have a better chance of figuring out who will be the Republican Presidential candidate. That said, there really seems to be a split between keeping the card for awhile, and dumping it. I find that keeping the personal cards does not seem to affect being able to get another; at least so far (I have 6). I've never waited 18 months to apply - closer to 8 months. For Biz, they do not seem to want to give another for the same company name until the old one iJs closed. I just had that happen - they denied me for a biz card stating that I already had one for that company. They stated that I could not consider my app unless that one was closed. So I closed it and called back the next day. They put it back for recon. About a week later they gave me the card. This was two weeks ago (recent history).

One thing for certain: Citi's I.T. is definitely out of whack. There is no consistency. So YMMV! Where this is chaos, there is opportunity.
And is the recon worth all the additional work , plus the need to keep spending
On the 3 citi cards, be careful to pay all on time etc . I met spend on 3 citi cards
, miles posted and I have put them away at least for the 5 months a year that
I am in Greece and they have foreign currency fees. Add in the spends on the new cards I am getting and I could realistically only use them 7 months a year
Stateside. Wouldn't it be a slap in the face to Citi to go from $1500 a month
To a token $20 - $40 per months? And if I continue like this I beleive very soon I Will be juggling 20 + cards.

Originally Posted by thehawk75
Here's the problem with these fast growing threads. Posts based upon assumptions bury the posts into obscurity that were based upon actual observed experience (i.e. facts).

Many people have already stated that you do not need to cancel your existing AAdvantage cards to still apply, and be approved for a new AAdvantage card some 18 months later. And for that matter, this 18 month thing is not a 'rule' either. I personally think someone tossed out that number one day, and everyone went with it, despite the fact many people have already talked about shorter time frames, myself included.

For the record, I only 2 weeks ago shared a story of being approved on a new Citi Visa AAdvantage for the 50K offer (was churning the CitiBusiness, and said, what the hell toss in a personal card too on that same date). This approval on the new personal Visa Citi AAdvantage card came on an application for it submitted a mere 13 months after my application (and subsequent approval) for my the 2 X 75K AAdvantage cards (Visa and AMEX). Also note, I still have those 13 month old cards. They are on some nice retention bonuses (two on each card, that have now been stacked as it seems they can give you an additional retention bonus every 6-ish months), that are providing compelling incentive to keep them opened as well.

Also note 13 months ago, I also shared a similar story when I got those personal cards on the 75K bonuses and how I managed to get around the 'first time card member' denial at that time, and also shared in my story that my previous approval to that was about 12 months prior. Long story short. Although everyone talks about this 18 months as the rule, there numerous posts by other members of the forum that contradicts this thing, so at best it's merely a 'kind-of-maybe-semi-educated-ok-guess' at best. It should not be accepted as a material fact if there are these many contradictions.

And as far as needing the personal cards canceled. This was never a stated fact. I don't recall anyone who received a denial on the personal card due to 'you currently have this card' as a reason. Only on reports from people applying for the CitiBusiness card ever stated such denial reasons.

FWIW, I did try getting a personal card earlier than 13 months throughout this past year (always do at same time time for each CitiBusiness churn -- i.e. 90 days), and was denied on attempts prior to this 13 month success, last attempt being at 9.5 months.

At any rate, people can, take note of my actual experiences that I have posted here, again... or they can continue to bury this, and similar posts that have shared actual facts with their continued opinions of 'group consensus'. Just note at one time 'group consensus' led to conclusions that the earth was flat, the sun went around the earth, and stars were 'holes in the celestial fabric where the heavens were able to shine through'.
I will copy and paste both your and Surface Intervals posts into a word document , and add to my mileage strategy folder. I believe in my case , with limited spending a year, I am retired and all this is personsal non business spending , the token amounts I could spend on all the open cards will not be enough to get any retention bonuses.

Add in the stress of having to pay all these bills promptly , and I might be better off canceling them before the annual fee is due. Will try the retention route first ,
But if these 50-75 k cards keep coming up, I will have to choose what is more realistic for me. Does anyone think Chase where I have my bill pay checking account , ever looks at it and wonders why all these cards being paid by our customer ?

I will have to, AT LEAST get award wallet to help with all this stuff, at worst
Hire a secretary .
Old Nov 8, 2011, 4:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I guess I am too late on the business card. The link is still dead. At lest I scored on the two personal cards.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Edwardvan
I guess I am too late on the business card. The link is still dead. At lest I scored on the two personal cards.
You can still apply for the 50k business card. That's what I did, got the 2 personal 75k and now working on min spend for the 50k business.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by jsublime
You can still apply for the 50k business card. That's what I did, got the 2 personal 75k and now working on min spend for the 50k business.
Question, what sort of business verification is needed for the business card? Any?
Old Nov 8, 2011, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by teege
Question, what sort of business verification is needed for the business card? Any?
Need to connect the name given for the business name with the address given for the business address. Utility bills, things like that. Tons of posts about what posters were asked for and their experiences if you read back through the thread a bit.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
50k BIZ Visa + $150 credit + 2:1 miles update

I applied for the 75k BIZ account Sept 22 and was voided Oct 1 like everyone else.

I then applied for the 50k + $150 credit + 2:1 AA miles + 2 admiral club passes in mid Oct. no instant approval, no account number given.

Yesterday I got an email asking to call in. I called in and told the CSR

"I applied for a biz app in Sept and was told it was voided because the offer expired, a supervisor told me to reapply and that the info on that account could be used to verify the new account."

I gave him both reference #'s .. he started reading a script about how they can't do that and that the old app is voided & shredded and blah blah, so I asked to speak to a supervisor. I was on hold for 15 min and he came back and said that the supervisor accessed the previously faxed stuff (deposit slip + utility bill) and my account was approved.

So if your BIZ app was voided, then you DO NOT need to wait 90 days to get in on the 50k deal
Old Nov 8, 2011, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by stupidzbu
I applied for the 75k BIZ account Sept 22 and was voided Oct 1 like everyone else.

I then applied for the 50k + $150 credit + 2:1 AA miles + 2 admiral club passes in mid Oct. no instant approval, no account number given.

So if your BIZ app was voided, then you DO NOT need to wait 90 days to get in on the 50k deal
But, is that two credit inquiries to just get the one card?

You should see about getting Citi to contact Experian and removing the first one (since they ran credit and never actually processed an application).

I have had them do this before.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, TK GLD, Hilton Diamond, IC PLAT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by thehawk75
But, is that two credit inquiries to just get the one card?

You should see about getting Citi to contact Experian and removing the first one (since they ran credit and never actually processed an application).

I have had them do this before.
i did .. they blew me off (not in a good way either) and told me they were in their legal rights to pull the report .. so I filed a dispute with experian that was rejected ..

oh well
Old Nov 9, 2011, 1:03 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
I had to write a letter to the 'Office of the President' or something like that. Delivered 'snail mail' too.

I forget the address though, it was quite a while ago.

Nonetheless, they did get back to me in about a week and did in fact have Experian remove the inquiry.

Originally Posted by stupidzbu
i did .. they blew me off (not in a good way either) and told me they were in their legal rights to pull the report .. so I filed a dispute with experian that was rejected ..

oh well
Old Nov 9, 2011, 5:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage LT Plat - Starwood Plat
Timing to turn Lifetime Platinum

I've worked all the deals listed in this thread (Thanks JMitchell) and am now very close to lifetime Platinum. My question is should I do it now (2011) or wait until the new year? Is there some "event" that I should strive for such as passing the 2MM threshold while actually flying?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 7:25 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pistolache
I've worked all the deals listed in this thread (Thanks JMitchell) and am now very close to lifetime Platinum. My question is should I do it now (2011) or wait until the new year? Is there some "event" that I should strive for such as passing the 2MM threshold while actually flying?
If you wait until Jan 2012 the 4 swa's (system wide upgrades; a lot of info on AA forum) for every million mile level (except 1m, 8 500 mile upgrades) will be good for a longer period of time.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 1:21 pm

I applied for the 50k AAdvantage Personal Visa and 50K Amex, and was declined on both. I previously had AAdvantage but over 18 months ago since I was first approved. I called the application status number to see why I was declined and it seems they still have record that I am not a first-time-customer due to the previous one I had.

So, I'm not so sure how valid the 18 month "rule" is. Any advice on getting this re-considered? Seems they're pretty rigid about the first-time-customer policy.

Thanks.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 1:54 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by scuzzynutty
So, I'm not so sure how valid the 18 month "rule" is. Any advice on getting this re-considered? Seems they're pretty rigid about the first-time-customer policy.
It was never a rule. Just an observation of what most people encounter. You're unlucky in this regard.

And no one here has been successful at reconsideration with that reason for denial.

Sorry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.