Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Topguest additional points for checkins [Update Jan 2014 - program has ended]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2012, 8:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by amolkold
has anyone gotten Best Western points posted lately? Checked into several authorized locations but no points.
I checked in 3 times in the last week, points hit instantly.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
My BW miles hit almost instantly as well. Hilton has a little lag. But I have huge problems with Wyndham. I have checked in a number of times and have only had 1 check in post to my Wyndham account. Hubby is having the same problem as well. I'm waiting for something to show up before I try checking it with Wyndham again.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:17 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by balima
I'm waiting for something to show up before I try checking it with Wyndham again.
Remember, theoretically it's only the Wingate locations that count.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:23 pm

Just want to say for PC, same thing happened to me. About 3000 pts just posted. Also I wasn't getting United points for my checkin, so I emailed them and they fixed it for me ([email protected]).

HTH!

Originally Posted by mfkne
Got an update regarding Topguest to Priorityclub points not posting since December. Seems like they were stuck somewhere. I checked into a Crowne Plaza past weekend on Facebook, got the e-mail, and much to my surprise found about 2000 points posted in my Priorityclub account from Topguest in about 40 single transactions of 50 points each. These must be the ones missing since December.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Remember, theoretically it's only the Wingate locations that count.
I have been careful, I've been checking in at Wingates. My topguest points show 250 points but Wyndham account only shows 50 points. I'm not sure where the other 200 points are. I'm waiting through the end of this month to see if they show up. Lat time they posted on the 26th. Maybe they just post once a month. At least that is what I am hoping.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold
I just logged into my HHonors account and saw that my past 15 or so checkins all posted en masse on the 19th. Looks like they were just backed up...
Old Mar 25, 2012, 6:05 pm

Programs: Iberia, BAEC GOLD/ Priority Club : ROYAL Amb / Miles and More: SEN
I think that checkins done by foursquare that are not counted because too far do not give you points now.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 4:21 am

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
I have the opposite problem. Instead of being too far away from the property, I am too close.
This happens with foursquare, when they've got the property location in the wrong place. If you attend the property and check-in, you won't get points if foursquare believe the location is actually somewhere else.

1 out of 2 of my local Best Westerns are where they say they are, and 0 out of 1 Holiday Inns.....In fact if the Holiday Inn was where they say it is, it'd be in another country.

I've done the updates to report the bad locations, but nothing has changed so far.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Send Topguest an email. Just remember that you're limited to one Kimpton point in your lifetime from this program.
Doesn't seem like much of an incentive, does it? Drats...
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by gnarly
I have the opposite problem. Instead of being too far away from the property, I am too close.
This happens with foursquare, when they've got the property location in the wrong place. If you attend the property and check-in, you won't get points if foursquare believe the location is actually somewhere else.

1 out of 2 of my local Best Westerns are where they say they are, and 0 out of 1 Holiday Inns.....In fact if the Holiday Inn was where they say it is, it'd be in another country.

I've done the updates to report the bad locations, but nothing has changed so far.
There is a lot of confusion here. My experience has been check in, either m.foursquare.com or on the mobile app, get points.

The points you mention are the ones that foursquare gives you. Yes if you are too far foursquare does not award you points for the checkin. These points are not related to the topguest promo points awarded for checkins. I've been standing in the actual property and had foursquare say I'm too far away--their app is just not precise enough sometimes due to GPS issues. But topguest looks at your checkins, not your foursquare points. So it seems to have an automated check that searches your registered foursqure account checkins for hotel keywords and then give you points based on this. I also sync these checkins to my facebook, but have not tested if it is actually these foursquare checkins posting to facebook that are generating the "hit" with topguest.

There are Problems:

Topguest is very sporatic in actually seeing your checkins. Sometimes I check in and immediately get an email that I was awarded points. Somtimes I check in, then later in the day I'm at a different place and I check in there, and all of a sudden it is like topguest gets "unstuck" and points from both checkins hit my email. Another issue is that their "day" ends around 3-4pm my time so a checkin around that time may count for the next day. Then when you are at the same property the next morning and I check in, you won't see an email ever because I technically already checked in that "day." This could lead to confusion and thinking that they are not correctly offering points for checkins.

Then there's the issue of waiting for them to push your points from topguest to your actual loyalty accounts. This is usually delayed days/weeks as well.

Basically: There is no way to audit this program, there is no predictable pattern of the company's behavior, there is no way to know what points have already been awarded, and there is no way to keep a good total of what points you should have. BUT it sure has been a nice way to get a boatload of points for me, so I'm just shutting up and enjoying the ride.

Many times I've thought "oh great, its over... no more points." And then the next day I get 3 emails in a row giving me points for checkins from the past two days.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Stubtify
There is a lot of confusion here. My experience has been check in, either m.foursquare.com or on the mobile app, get points.

The points you mention are the ones that foursquare gives you. Yes if you are too far foursquare does not award you points for the checkin. These points are not related to the topguest promo points awarded for checkins. I've been standing in the actual property and had foursquare say I'm too far away--their app is just not precise enough sometimes due to GPS issues. But topguest looks at your checkins, not your foursquare points. So it seems to have an automated check that searches your registered foursqure account checkins for hotel keywords and then give you points based on this. I also sync these checkins to my facebook, but have not tested if it is actually these foursquare checkins posting to facebook that are generating the "hit" with topguest.

There are Problems:

Topguest is very sporatic in actually seeing your checkins. Sometimes I check in and immediately get an email that I was awarded points. Somtimes I check in, then later in the day I'm at a different place and I check in there, and all of a sudden it is like topguest gets "unstuck" and points from both checkins hit my email. Another issue is that their "day" ends around 3-4pm my time so a checkin around that time may count for the next day. Then when you are at the same property the next morning and I check in, you won't see an email ever because I technically already checked in that "day." This could lead to confusion and thinking that they are not correctly offering points for checkins.

Then there's the issue of waiting for them to push your points from topguest to your actual loyalty accounts. This is usually delayed days/weeks as well.

Basically: There is no way to audit this program, there is no predictable pattern of the company's behavior, there is no way to know what points have already been awarded, and there is no way to keep a good total of what points you should have. BUT it sure has been a nice way to get a boatload of points for me, so I'm just shutting up and enjoying the ride. Many times I've thought "oh great, its over... no more points." And then the next day I get 3 emails in a row giving me points for checkins from the past two days.
I'm with you. I will not call, similiar to the mistake fare type of issues that may arise. I will take what I get - Free and easy is good. They don't owe me anything. So if my Wyndham points never show up - oh well. I will continue with those hotels that do and I will not be greedy. I do not want to kill the golden goose (or is that the golden coin program). Too much attention has been proven to be a bad thing.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 2:05 pm

Programs: Iberia, BAEC GOLD/ Priority Club : ROYAL Amb / Miles and More: SEN
some problems or ideas?

Does foursquare login + apart login to facebook --) DOuble points?

I read that people have different topguests accounts. But they give only to 1 miles-account, or do you have different miles accounts?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 6:27 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I've had similar issues with my TopGuest account ... I use the m.foursquare.com method to check-in (even though I am usually within 0.1 miles of a BW/HI Express/Doubletree some point during the day, so GPS should work). I've done 7 check-ins on foursquare in the past few days, but only 4 hit TopGuest. All have been "off-the-grid," but they've worked in the past so that shouldn't be an issue.

I checked in at a Doubletree at 3:59pm pacific, and it showed as same-day. However, the Best Western at 7:55pm pacific showed up as next day. So I agree that there's a late afternoon cutoff somewhere. Kind of annoying, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

(Actually, I just saw that I checked in at the Doubletree at 7:30pm, then 3:59pm the next day, but they counted as the same day, so that's why it didn't count twice.)

Also, if you're worried about keywords, search for valid locations here

Lastly, I don't think using 4sq + facebook will work, since you're looking at a maximum per hotel chain within the TopGuest program per day. Different TopGuest accounts can work, but I don't want to be a target for a shutdown because of 50 pts/day, so I'm going to keep my 1. This program serves a great function ... a family member is 400 HHonors points away from 10K, which is what I'll need for a GS hit if that program returns. This is such a simple way of topping off.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by amolkold
I checked in at a Doubletree at 3:59pm pacific, and it showed as same-day. However, the Best Western at 7:55pm pacific showed up as next day. So I agree that there's a late afternoon cutoff somewhere. Kind of annoying, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.
The day change used to be at 12:00 GMT or 4:00 PM PST, I noticed that they did not change their clocks so it is still 4:00 PST or now 5:00 PDT for the day change.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by mgo72
some problems or ideas?

Does foursquare login + apart login to facebook --) DOuble points?

I read that people have different topguests accounts. But they give only to 1 miles-account, or do you have different miles accounts?
Good idea, lets discuss all the ways we can think of that the program can be scammed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.