Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Segment run to keep silver elite at US Airways

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2009, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, PC Plat, Hertz 5*

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and this is my first post. By way of intro, I fly several times a year for leisure out of Chicago but do not have any elite status with any airline.

So a month ago I signed up for the silver trial program with US Airways since I had a flight booked from MCO back to ORD on United and I wanted to see if I could use the silver status on the star alliance. It worked like a charm, my wife and I got priority boarding and got upgraded to first class without saying a word. I am keen on maintaining this status even though US Airways does not really service Chicago very well.

I have another flight booked on United to Boston in November and I want to have silver status there as well so I am trying to maintain my silver status with USAir by finishing 10 segments through the following segment run (the trial challenge says I have to earn 10 segments before nov 11 to keep the elite status).

ORD-PHL-BOS-PHL-ORD -same day return - for $200 all included (4 segments)

ORD-PHL-RDU-CLT-TPA-CLT-ORD - sameday - $261 AI (6 segments)

My question is, that I will be flying more United in the future, but since I have silver on USAir I will keep accumulating the miles/segments back to USAir even when flying on United. Is that worthwhile doing ? Or would it be better to just do a 30 segment run next year to get United's 1K status ? How easy is it to redeem star alliance awards from US Airways if I stick with their reward program ?

Looking forward to all your answers and eventually becoming a productive member here.

Regards,
A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.