FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/930922-trick-negotiate-special-savings-lounge-thread.html)

man4business Sep 10, 2023 12:42 pm

I mean, why do you keep it secret? It is not "tricki it" at all, just a kind of "error fare" of unknown origin, since the airline web site prices it at 311 USD.
Edit: not even mentioning that the deal was instantly killed by SecretFlying

WingedWorldExplorer Sep 10, 2023 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Matt_b (Post 35567904)
I've got £53, how likely are they to honor this? Do OTA's tend to honor error fares and could the airline just turn around and ask for the difference at check-in?

OTAs do not not decide what to honor or not. The airline does. Your chances of airline honoring is Minus 100 %.

The lower the mistake fare is, and the more people who buy it, the likelier it is that it will Not be honored.

How many times does this need to be repeated.?

jorun Sep 11, 2023 1:39 am

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer (Post 35569230)
OTAs do not not decide what to honor or not. The airline does.

Let the blogs/forums believe it. Luckily for us, they are so stupid that they prefer to repeat the same thing over and over and the sheep accept it without doing homework.

erlendag Sep 11, 2023 8:27 am

Hi!

First time trick-it poster here.
Looking at at EK biz-fare C2-C3 with 1750USD YQ and 1000USD BF.
It allows end-on-end, but a bit more restrictive:
Spoiler

Is there any chance of finding 3X's with these restrictions?

laboratory Sep 12, 2023 4:47 pm

I want to fly one way UK - India on a specific date around christmas (massive base fare, low YQ). Unfortunately this is very expensive. I realized I can cut the cost by a bit by repositioning to continental europe to lower APD/take advantage of lower fares (or using LCCs and booking separate tickets).

Another option is

XXX - LHR - stopover - LHR - INDIA.

Which prices as a XXX-INDIA fare with a stopover.

With some airlines this prices the date of the fare to the date of XXX - LHR, which saves paying the peak season fares. However, I have to fly XXX-LHR which isn't ideal, this only saves $100 to $200.

Another option is to buy a round-trip and throw away the return, specifically a throwaway open-jaw ticket. However this also only saves approx $100-$200.

Are there any other tricks like this that I might be missing? I've looked into hidden city ticketing as well but it doesn't seem ideal for going this direction.

EmailKid Sep 12, 2023 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by laboratory (Post 35574902)
I want to fly one way UK - India on a specific date around christmas (massive base fare, low YQ).

You might be in the wrong thread ;)

laboratory Sep 12, 2023 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid (Post 35575020)
You might be in the wrong thread ;)

Haha i thought there were more tricks than just FD. If i'm in the wrong thread happy to ask elsewhere.

My bad, what thread would be most suitable. I get that a FD is unlikely with any fare I find.

ChanduFD Sep 12, 2023 10:54 pm

replying to post #11450 , yes it is possible

tarman121 Sep 14, 2023 1:15 am

Originally Posted by ChanduFD (Post 35575489)
replying to post #11450 , yes it is possible

saying its possible because you see end on end or side trips permitted is not good enough.
unless youve dumped it, best to say i dont know

Flyinghobby Sep 14, 2023 2:01 am

If you actually ticketed it, then it is possible. Very well done.
If you did not or have not ticketed it before (not years ago before EK gone into Hybrid, Sleep mode), I agree with post# 11455

WingedWorldExplorer Sep 14, 2023 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Flyinghobby (Post 35579030)
If you did not or have not ticketed it before (not years ago before EK gone into Hybrid, Sleep mode), I agree with post# 11455

I like your "Quality First " approach.

Through an unusual construction I was able to reduce EK YQ by 50 % but Base Fares jumped to a different fare class more than offsetting the 50 % EK YQ savings.

For this reason I did not post.

WingedWorldExplorer Sep 14, 2023 3:38 am

NOT WS

Canada - Europe $ 177,22 All in Round Trip.
A few $$ more for 1X in Western Hemisphere, North of +18.0 degree latitude.

Highly flyable 1X in C2 also possible.

rythem Sep 14, 2023 3:10 pm

Found something workable for C1w-C3se over scorpio season. BF is 304 with sides allowed. Now to find a 3x...

Please let me know if this is too vague. Happy to share exact cities

tarman121 Sep 15, 2023 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Flyinghobby (Post 35579030)

boy EK used to be so easy :(
i remember flying 8 segments C2 to C6 in business for around 600 GBP with a very safe skippable 1x. all marketed by QF but mostly operated by EK.
Easiest/cheapest BA Gold I ever had

Kawsako Sep 16, 2023 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer (Post 35579125)
Canada - Europe $ 177,22 All in Round Trip.
A few $$ more for 1X in Western Hemisphere, North of +18.0 degree latitude.

Highly flyable 1X in C2 also possible.

I've got $135 with probably unflyable 1x in Eastern hemisphere.

SecretFlying has posted with ALERT label and this deal will be killed soon.