Wiki Posts
Search

How to book (ITA, etc)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2008, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum
How to book (ITA, etc)

I've looked through some threads, but really haven't found an answer...

I'm curious what methods the more prolific mileage runners are using to book their flights? In particular, those flights with complicated routing.

What tools are there, beyond Orbits or Travelocity, that are available? Any travel agencies that know how to book an MR? Are there better tools available to a travel agent or broker that we don't have access to?

I'm curious, as I've found a few reasonably priced runs on ITA, but then could never get them booked.

Cheers,
Jace
Old Oct 4, 2008, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
For those complicated routings a trusted TA is the only option I feel. I have never been able to get any online engine to be flexible enough to book flights with "extra" requirements.

Would be intersted to know if any FT has.
Old Oct 4, 2008, 6:50 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Probably heresy to say it here, but one can suck it up and pay the airline booking fee and get one of them to do it.

Orbitz and Expedia multi-city options sometimes work.

Romelle
Old Oct 4, 2008, 9:45 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by jcerovac
I'm curious what methods the more prolific mileage runners are using to book their flights?....What tools are there, beyond Orbits or Travelocity, that are available? Any travel agencies that know how to book an MR? Are there better tools available to a travel agent or broker that we don't have access to?
It got frustrating at times, but I have always been able to get my tickets from the "major" carrier in the itinerary. The trick is, instead of struggling online, call their phone reps. The efficiency and convenience are well worth the few extra dollars.

All travel agents, including airline phone reps, have more info and better tools at their disposable than made available to us, so they can zero in on the desired flights bettr than we can.

For really complicated stuff I would take the ITA printout to a good brick-and-mortar agency, but this will cost a little more, and has not proven necessary so far.
Old Oct 4, 2008, 9:48 am

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
I use .bomb most of the time. You can always take the ITA printable fare information to a local TA to have it booked as well.
Old Oct 4, 2008, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

What about fellow FT's and particularly mileage runners? How many have access to Sabre or Worldspan or similar access? Any TA's here who can help?

What about the idea of starting a small ticket brokerage for the purpose of booking MR's? A small fee, and assistance in finding MR's as the business model?
Old Oct 4, 2008, 4:25 pm

What about fellow FT's and particularly mileage runners? How many have access to Sabre or Worldspan or similar access? Any TA's here who can help?

What about the idea of starting a small ticket brokerage for the purpose of booking MR's? A small fee, and assistance in finding MR's as the business model?
In principle you can become a travel agent and then issue all the tickets you want. In practice you might find it too much expense and trouble. And if you can't be motivated to do all of that for yourself, why would you do so for others or others for you?

However, I am just being a Devil's advocate here and would look forward to hearing from those who know the field.
Old Oct 4, 2008, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

I've been contemplating doing just that, but I'm currently wading through a sea of what seams to be scams and paper mills looking for a legitimate online program. Attending classes is impossible for me at the moment, so it must be an online program.

Honestly, I am considering doing so from a purely selfish standpoint, but at the same time I can see the possibility of a niche market and a profit. Albeit only a small profit, and likely not worth the time and effort, but still I'll look into it and see if it would be.

Likewise, I am interested to hear if anyone else has done the same.

Cheers,
Jace
Old Oct 4, 2008, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Just use the airlines website and book it as a multi city.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia
Just use the airlines website and book it as a multi city.
Unfortunately, the airlines websites have nowhere near the flexibility of ITA; and this is most apparent if one tries to book a multi-city trip across airlines (i.e. a leg on AA, then UA, etc).

I was just trying to determine if anyone had yet found a solution to book these routes.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Unfortunately, the airlines websites have nowhere near the flexibility of ITA; and this is most apparent if one tries to book a multi-city trip across airlines (i.e. a leg on AA, then UA, etc).

I was just trying to determine if anyone had yet found a solution to book these routes.
Oh, if there are multiple airlines involved, then you would have to *try* orbitz (or other) to book as a multi-city.
Old Oct 5, 2008, 6:59 pm

I have been able to get most OW itineraries online at AA.com, and whatever I couldn't was easy to get by phoning. While it was satisfying to come up with my trip at AA.com, the phone agents with more powerful tools at their disposal are more efficient, so now I sometimes take the shortcut: if it involves anything besides AA or BA, I'd just phone.

To jcerovac: There are quite a few travel agents at FT. If you pose a more direct question, instead of one dressed as ITA discussion, someone might have the info about online training etc. Good luck.

Last edited by aktchi; Oct 5, 2008 at 7:13 pm
Old Oct 5, 2008, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Hi UAX_Brasilia,

Tools such as Orbitz, Travelocity, and etc, are well known. These tools are written for the general traveler, someone going someplace specific for a reason. They are not written for the person try to do a mileage run, or trying to combine a business trip with some leisure layovers, or to combine any trip with a mileage run.

This is the sort of tool I was trying to route out.

Cheers,
Jace

Last edited by jcerovac; Oct 6, 2008 at 12:16 am Reason: Corrected greeting from aktchi to UAX_Brasilia
Old Oct 5, 2008, 11:59 pm

Hi Aktchi,...Tools such as Orbitz, Travelocity, and etc, are well known. These tools are written for the general traveler...
I don't disagree with that, but I suspect you might have been responding to someone else, perhaps Romelle or UAX_Brasilia? I neither use nor recommend Orbitz/Travelocity all that much, but it has nothing to do with them. I just prefer to buy from the major carrier in my itinerary. That way, it cannot blame any problem on the travel agent and tell me to go resolve with them.

I realize that combining airlines from different alliances would probably need a TA. I prefer to stay within One World and have always been able to buy such tickets from AA.com (or phoen rep) or the main carrier if not AA/BA.

Last edited by aktchi; Oct 6, 2008 at 12:11 am
Old Oct 6, 2008, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aktchi
I don't disagree with that, but I suspect you might have been responding to someone else, perhaps Romelle or UAX_Brasilia?
Yes, yes I was. In my haste, I transcribed the wrong name. My apologies!

Kind regards,
Jace

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.