Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(DEAL GONE) Spirit Airlines within Florida $0 all-in.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(DEAL GONE) Spirit Airlines within Florida $0 all-in.

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2008, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

After tinkering with fares, I can tell you for certain now it's not computing the USA taxes for what seems to be ALL flights, as I suspected:

On the FLL-NAS it shows the tax breakdown of:

$0.00 Passenger Facility Charge
$0.00 Security Tax
$5.00 Federal Inspection Fee
$7.00 USA Immigration Fee
$37.00 International Fee

The only time its showing taxes is when I choose a non-sale fare/ no red "red light special" text.
Old May 1, 2008, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
to the block bookings. Surest way to make the deal not honored. Fatwallet runs into this all the time, with some yokel trying to buy 1,000 widgets on a price mistake and the big orders causing the company not to honor the deal for anyone.

to calling the airline. Besides the other reasons amply covered, airlines just don't want to talk to you, anyway. The voice-recognition systems are horrible and "John" in India may not understand you too well either. Just don't.

All that said, the Bahamas deals may be the best bets. FLL-NAS at $49 and FLL-FPT at $61 all-in. I don't know how that stacks against the usual rock-bottom sales or how much you save with taxes, but I'll bet YOUR CHANCES OF BEING HONORED ARE MUCH BETTER WITH A MONEY AMOUNT CHARGED TO YOUR CARD. I can easily see them wiping out all the $0s on this one and not honoring, but it'd seem the Bahamas ones would be harder to undo and could still stand. Maybe not, but generally with Fatwallet deals in the non-airline world it's much better to get something for $1 already charged than $0 and not charged, as the latter is easier not to honor. All businesses have a primal "something for nothing" alarm that it's better not to trip.

If feeling really speculative you could even book dates in the fall timeframe and try to hit on them with other sales on the FLL leg (if not in FLL). As always, book on CREDIT cards.

Last edited by RustyC; May 1, 2008 at 10:06 pm
Old May 1, 2008, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RustyC
As always, book on CREDIT cards.
I booked one ticket with my US Bank Visa Check Card (but this was a couple of days ago for a non-$0 ticket).

I wonder if they'll screw with all my reservations in retaliation.
Old May 1, 2008, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
deleted
Old May 1, 2008, 11:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by RustyC
As always, book on CREDIT cards.
I didn't even put in any credit card info, just my address. But I agree, I'm sure they will just wipe these all out.
Old May 2, 2008, 1:39 am

Is this gone already? I tried to book it and it came up at $150?
Old May 2, 2008, 1:49 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
OK, I'll bite.

Those who bought the ticket and plan to fly the segment, give me your dates and I'll tag along with you. I can always find something to do in Tampa for a day. Oh wait, there is a same day turn-around, right?

Send me a pm with the info ^
Old May 2, 2008, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
OK, I'll bite.

Those who bought the ticket and plan to fly the segment, give me your dates and I'll tag along with you. I can always find something to do in Tampa for a day. Oh wait, there is a same day turn-around, right?

Send me a pm with the info ^
Its still available for FLL-MCO/TPA Free FLL-NAS $49 for Taxes. Rick...you up for some flying?
Old May 2, 2008, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by usa18dca
Is this gone already? I tried to book it and it came up at $150?
Deal is not dead - check and see if your entering the coupon code correctly "SAVE48"

I just pulled this up just now:

By using your coupon today you have saved $48.00 per passenger.

Flight Itinerary
Date Flight Time Seat Type Approx. Miles
05/15/2008 NK304 Fort Lauderdale/Miami Area (FLL) to Orlando (MCO) 6:15 PM-7:15 PM Deluxe Leather 186
05/15/2008 NK195 Orlando (MCO) to Fort Lauderdale/Miami Area (FLL) 8:50 PM-9:50 PM Deluxe Leather 186

Number of Passengers: 1
Airfare+: $0.00
Taxes and Fees: $0.00 (what's this?)
Travel Insurance++: $0.00 (Tell me more)
Total: $0.00
Total Due: $0.00
Old May 2, 2008, 2:54 am

Programs: LH HON, Discovery Black, IHG Spire, random stuff at Accor, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Hertz, Sixt
deal is still available, mostly from FLL. however, I didn't succeed to book the nassau-deal, seems to be gone
Old May 2, 2008, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sultanbinaber
deal is still available, mostly from FLL. however, I didn't succeed to book the nassau-deal, seems to be gone
No, its still there:

Flight Itinerary
Date Flight Time Seat Type Approx. Miles
05/14/2008 NK607 Fort Lauderdale/Miami Area (FLL) to Nassau, Bahamas (NAS) 2:42 PM-3:44 PM Deluxe Leather 183
05/14/2008 NK486 Nassau, Bahamas (NAS) to Fort Lauderdale/Miami Area (FLL) 4:35 PM-5:35 PM Deluxe Leather 183

Number of Passengers: 1
Airfare+: $0.00
Taxes and Fees: $49.00 (what's this?)
Travel Insurance++: $12.00 (Tell me more)
Total: $49.00
Total Due: $49.00

You must be entering the coupon code incorrectly, or trying for an invalid date.
Old May 2, 2008, 6:17 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by usa18dca
Its still available for FLL-MCO/TPA Free FLL-NAS $49 for Taxes. Rick...you up for some flying?
I'm always up for some flying .. though if some miles are involved.

But we can go to MCO for the day or to NAS as well. Let me know soon
Old May 2, 2008, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K
Can't use it

but it looks like its still there for some great weekend trips to NAS (7/6-7/9, etc)
Old May 2, 2008, 9:57 am

Programs: CO, UA, who cares what level, that doesn't make me special, now does it?
Originally Posted by roadtripman
Sure, but they quoted me $0.00 for the said federal MANDATORY fees. So, I owe them that much. They can try to charge more, but I'd dispute them with my credit card issuer. And I'd win. I agreed to pay the quoted $0 for taxes, nothing more. I'm glad my reciept shows the taxes were paid (and each amount was $0).

Spirit Airlines cannot change your fare at a later date. They can refuse to honor the tickets, but that's about it. We'll see.
So their recourse is to refuse to let you fly and your recourse is to dispute the $0.00 charge to your credit card. @:-)
Old May 2, 2008, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

c8j2h on Slickdeals reports that the deal is now dead. Oh well, fun while it lasted!

Last edited by roadtripman; May 2, 2008 at 4:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.