Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Noob Needs INTL ITINERARY Mileage Run help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2007, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if the gurus here could help me? I am trying to make my maiden mileage run combined with a vacation. I currently have no status but I do have about 10k miles in my Skymiles acct. as such I would like to stay with DL qualifying miles.

So intuitively I searched through the threads and I took some time and went through the links in the stickies and relevant topics and many were down, broken, or damaged. I then took the ones that worked and tried to work out a mileage run. I found that when I tried to do this on ITA, farefinder, etc... as well as the DL site I was either getting really screwy itineraries or ridiculous fares. Here's an idea of what I am trying to do. I will be traveling alot more in the new year (mostly intl, but some domestic)and so I wanted to try to attain status as quick as possible by actually flying.

I originally tried the following; my first trip is going to be 90 days with a departure of anytime mid-jan and return in APR or so. My first 3 trips are going to MOW (Moscow area) and then onto another RU city; from BOS.

As a rookie at this my first two trial routes ( of which I've had no success) of trying to book are these:

BOS-->SEA-->LAX-->ATL--->SVO/DME/VKE and repeat on the return. Done in about 24 hrs, and in the neighborhood of $2k or less), or BOS-->LAX-->ATL-->SVO/DME/VKE.

As far as returns and an estimate on MQM to $$ ratio the best I was doing was 12-16 cents/mile based ont he calculator I was using. I'm open to suggestions, etc... If anyone has any ideas, routes, hints, suggested itinerary, etc... I'd like to make the most of this trip since I'll be dong it about 6x. Please feel free to post them.

thanks,
BOS2SVO

Last edited by BOS2SVO; Nov 13, 2007 at 3:54 pm
Old Nov 13, 2007, 4:23 pm

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Before you go and book anything, have you looked into the possibility of doing an elite challenge with one of the airlines you fly? That's a much better way to fast track your elite status than going for 25-75k EQMs just seven weeks before 12/31...

peace,
~Ben~
Old Nov 13, 2007, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Actually I was unaware that Delta did elite challenges for anyone without current status. I'll call and ask them. Thanks for the tip.
BOS2SVO
Old Nov 13, 2007, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by BOS2SVO
Actually I was unaware that Delta did elite challenges for anyone without current status. I'll call and ask them. Thanks for the tip.
BOS2SVO
Disclaimer: I'm not sure that they do... Try a search in the DL forum to see if anything's been posted there. I'm a NW flyer and knw that NW does them, so it was just a thought before you booked anything that might count toward a challenge.

peace,
~Ben~
Old Nov 13, 2007, 5:05 pm

Lightbulb Wait!

Also, at this point in the year, I REALLY recommend that you just wait until January to do your mileage runs. If you're starting from zero anyway, you're shooting yourself in the foot a bit down the road -- I'll explain:

Elite qualification works like this on most carriers: Fly 25k miles anytime between 1/1/2007 and 12/31/2007 to earn Silver Elite status for the period 1/1/2008 through 2/28/2009. In practice, even though you are earning your status in the current year for the next elite year, the airline recognizes your new status as soon as you earn it and "comps" you the remainder of the current elite year.

So, if you earn DL silver before 12/31/2007, your elite status is valid only through 2/28/2009. However, if you earn DL elite status in January or February 2008, you get the rest of the elite year (1/1/2008 to 2/28/2009) "comped" and have DL Silver all the way through 2/28/2010!

So for the same miles, flown one month later, you get the status for another entire year. Plus, since you'll be travelling a lot next year, those elite qualifying miles will build on what you do in Jan/Feb to take you to Gold rather than simply requalify you for Silver.

If that's confusing let me know.

FT veterans -- if I've screwed up my explanation of the Jan/Feb thing, chime in.

peace,
~Ben~
Old Nov 13, 2007, 5:25 pm

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
-- if I've screwed up my explanation of the Jan/Feb thing, chime in.

Making sense of the status-year is *never* easy ~ ya done good. ^

The Jan-Feb window (ie - Feb cutoff) is critical only if you're trying to maintain status ~ but in any case, the earlier in the year - the better.

/.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Hello Everyone,

I just talked to delta and they deny the existence of any way to get medallion status via a challenge. They did recommend the amex centurion card which comes with an automatic "Gold Medallion" status, or some targeted promotions which qualify for "MQM's" they said there weren't any running currently.

I am waiting on an e-mail with a potential itinerary which will net a one trip status qualification...more to follow.
BOS2SVO
Old Nov 13, 2007, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Here is the best itinerary I could work out. After this trip it'll gain me silver status. I'm not sure if I worked the MQM calculator I used correctly but I ma getting the following results:

Fare total= $3,300
Cost to upgrade RT to first on all legs except SEA-LAX as there is no FC on this leg= 50k skymiles
Miles=25,669
After fare bonus: 42,779
Fare class B- +150% cost per mile after bonus: .07/mile
total MQM= 42,779
Cost per mile: approx: .19cents/mile not including bonus.
Total travel time approx 28hrs.

Bkng Meals/
Day Date Flight Status Class City Time Other Cabin
--- ----- ---------------- ------ ----- ---------------- ------ ----- -------
Sun 20JAN Delta 1747 OK M LV BOSTON 630A F Coach
AR SEATTLE 1226P

Sun 20JAN Delta 7775* OK M LV SEATTLE 110P Coach
AR LOS ANGELES 353P
*Operated by XE

Sun 20JAN Delta 1566 OK M LV LOS ANGELES 1055P R Coach
AR ATLANTA 601A#

Mon 21JAN Delta 1586 OK M LV ATLANTA 940P Coach
AR NYC-KENNEDY 1202A#

Tue 22JAN Delta 30 OK M LV NYC-KENNEDY 435P D Coach
AR MOSCOW 1010A#

Sun 20APR Delta 47 OK M LV MOSCOW 110P L Coach
AR ATLANTA 500P

Sun 20APR Delta 688 OK M LV ATLANTA 805P Coach
AR BOSTON 1038P

Does anyone have a better itinerary, or ideas on how to get a better $$/Mile ratio?

Thanks,
BOS2SVO

Last edited by BOS2SVO; Nov 14, 2007 at 8:21 am
Old Nov 13, 2007, 7:10 pm

Woah that is really expensive. Here is what I would do. Go down to EWR and pick up a EWR-DTW-MSP-HNL on NW roundtrip for 450 all. Then immediately nest that with a HNL-MSP-DTW-FRA roundtrip at 750. That will give you about 30,000 EQM for 1100 or so. The fares in question will pop right up if you set the search paramters at farecompare as EWR-HNL and HNL-FRA. Credit the miles to DL.

Try to spend as much time on NW's A330's as you can. (Thus you may want to forgo mileage to take the MSP-HNL 330 flight)
Old Nov 13, 2007, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
Originally Posted by humanoid94
Woah that is really expensive. Here is what I would do. Go down to EWR and pick up a EWR-DTW-MSP-HNL on NW roundtrip for 450 all. Then immediately nest that with a HNL-MSP-DTW-FRA roundtrip at 750. That will give you about 30,000 EQM for 1100 or so. The fares in question will pop right up if you set the search paramters at farecompare as EWR-HNL and HNL-FRA. Credit the miles to DL.
^Good advice, IMO, for getting to silver quickly. Follow that up with your 3-month trip to Russia, BOS-JFK-ATL-SVO on DL for <$1100. If you are taking 3 trips to Russia, you'll be GM (or very nearly) by the end of the second trip.

Not sure about the mileage calculation in your itin. I suspect the 25,669 miles are really MQMs (that is, after the 50% bonus for the M fare). Actual flight miles should be in the neighborhood of 17k for that trip. There is also the question of how you are going to upgrade to first (or BE, for that matter) for 50k skymiles when you only have 10k in your account.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkyBuck

Not sure about the mileage calculation in your itin. I suspect the 25,669 miles are really MQMs (that is, after the 50% bonus for the M fare). Actual flight miles should be in the neighborhood of 17k for that trip. There is also the question of how you are going to upgrade to first (or BE, for that matter) for 50k skymiles when you only have 10k in your account.

I don't have the exact mileage quotes right this second but I will post them later today. Do believe that you are correct it is about 17k with no bonuses. but the "B" fare MQM details on Deltas website say that you get a 150% mileage bonus. That helped alot. As for the 50k miles for an upgrade to first, well I was actually considering buying them, and it should be noted that there is a 20% holiday bonus going on right now..
Old Nov 14, 2007, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by humanoid94

Try to spend as much time on NW's A330's as you can. (Thus you may want to forgo mileage to take the MSP-HNL 330 flight)

So if I am understanding you correctly, the point to point actual route in a row would be EWR-DTW-MSP-HNL-MSP-DTW-FRA-DTW-MSP-HNL-MSP-DTW-EWR for about $1100?
Old Nov 14, 2007, 6:45 am

If you do a straight:

EWR-MSP-HNL-MSP-DTW-FRA-DTW-MSP-HNL-MSP-EWR it should be 1100-1200 and net you 27K EQM or so.

Here is the great circle map of it:

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=e...OR=&MAP-STYLE=

You can get it up to around 30K if you connect in the west coast in LAX each way. I am not sure I would do, though, as it replaces a bunch of A330 segments (with AVOD in every seat) with old 757 segments.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 6:48 am

Here are some actual flights:

473 for the HNL flight, 637 for the FRA flight. $1100 all in with a few days in HNL and FRA for vacation

$433.00
$473.10 Total Price

Northwest Airlines 1019

Booking Class: K / Economy
Ticket Designator:
Meal: Food for purchase
Equipment: 319
Mon, Dec 3
3hr 10min
8:00am Depart Newark (EWR)
10:10am Arrive Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP)

Approximate Distance: 1027 miles Plane Change
View Seat Map Choose This Flight

Northwest Airlines 809

Ticket Designator:
Equipment: 333
Mon, Dec 3
8hr 28min
11:40am Depart Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP)
4:08pm Arrive Honolulu/Oahu (HNL)

Approximate Distance: 3967 miles
View Seat Map

Northwest Airlines 808

Ticket Designator:
Wed, Dec 12
7hr 37min
6:20pm Depart Honolulu/Oahu (HNL)
5:57am Arrive Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP)

Approximate Distance: 3967 miles Plane Change
View Seat Map Choose This Flight

Northwest Airlines 1090

Ticket Designator:
Equipment: 319
Thu, Dec 13
2hr 27min
7:00am Depart Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP)
10:27am Arrive Newark (EWR)

Approximate Distance: 1027 miles
View Seat Map

$540.20
$637.82 Total Price Promo Fare

Northwest Airlines 808

Booking Class: V / Economy
Ticket Designator: PI002
Wed, Dec 5
7hr 37min
6:20pm Depart Honolulu/Oahu (HNL)
5:57am Arrive Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP)

Approximate Distance: 3967 miles Plane Change
Choose This Flight

Northwest Airlines 742

Meal: none
Equipment: 757
Thu, Dec 6
1hr 47min
6:35am Depart Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP)
9:22am Arrive Detroit (DTW)

Approximate Distance: 532 miles Plane Change

Northwest Airlines 52

Meal: Dinner
Thu, Dec 6
8hr 10min
5:10pm Depart Detroit (DTW)
7:20am Arrive Frankfurt (FRA)

Approximate Distance: 4139 miles

KLM 1762
operated by
KLM CITYHOPPER

Meal: Meal
Equipment: 100
Mon, Dec 10
1hr 30min
6:50am Depart Frankfurt (FRA)
8:20am Arrive Amsterdam (AMS)

Approximate Distance: 227 miles Plane Change
Choose This Flight

KLM 6041
operated by
NORTHWEST AIRLINES -- NW 41

Meal: Dinner
Mon, Dec 10
9hr 15min
10:20am Depart Amsterdam (AMS)
12:35pm Arrive Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP)

Approximate Distance: 4154 miles Plane Change

KLM 6807
operated by
NORTHWEST AIRLINES -- NW 807

Equipment: 753
Equipment: 753
Mon, Dec 10
10hr 49min
1 stop 2:30pm Depart Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP)
9:19pm Arrive Honolulu/Oahu (HNL)

Approximate Distance: 1395 miles
Approximate Distance: 2677 miles
Old Nov 14, 2007, 8:17 am
Original Poster

"SkyBuck,"

Here is how it breaks down in mileage and points according to the "flyingfish mileage tool" which i obtained from the links in the sticky above. I used the following method to obtain these calculations. I went to www.delta.com. On the home page is a flight itinerary planning page. I clicked on "full search options and on that page there is a way to select "fare class" that is highlighted in blue. If you click on that a popup appears with the following info:
Originally Posted by delta.com
Fare Class
Search for flights in a particular fare class or higher. If fares in a specified class are not available, then the search results will return fares in a higher fare class. Here are some reasons why you may want a particular fare class:

Certain fares offer more Medallion Qualification Miles (MQM).
Certain fares offer more upgrade opportunities.
Certain fares have fewer restrictions in terms of change than others.
Refer to the table below, to choose the fare class that best matches your travel needs.

Fare Class Overview MQM & SkyMiles earned
Coach L, U, T, H, Q, K
(Lowest fares) Limited upgrade opportunities
Most restrictive
100% of mileage
Coach B, M
(Discounted) More upgrade opportunities
Some restrictions
150% of mileage

Coach Y
(Flexible) Most upgrade opportunities
Minimal restrictions
150% of mileage
First/ BusinessElite®/ Business
P, F, A, C, D, J, I Least restrictions
Priority Check-in
Priority boarding
Delta BusinessElite customers have same day access to BusinessElite Lounges 150% of mileage
The mileages for the routing in my itinerary above are these (according to flying fish and using the 150% M fare class bonus)

Total Miles
BOS-SEA: 6,240 MILES
SEA-LAX: 2,385 MILES
LAX-ATL: 4,865 MILES
ATL-JFK: 1,900 MILES
JFK-SVO: 11,653 MILES
SVO-ATL: 13,450 MILES
ATL-BOS: 2,365 MILES

Actual miles flown: 17,143
Mileage after fare class bonus: 42,858

That's how I got my figures.
HTH,
BOS2SVO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.