Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

n00b needs UA MR help from SFO.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2007, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver, AA Advantage, Southwest

Hi,
Never done a mileage run. I need about 8,000 miles. I have an open weekend 12/7 -12/9.

I was thinking of two transcons from SFO to JFK, but that seems somewhat boring and kills two weekends and doesn't give me my bang for the buck.

Any advice?

Also, how do I actually start looking for the right trip into the right airports etc.

And, finally, do I call United and book the dang thing or is there some other way?

Any help would be great. I can repay you in awesome-ness credits. Like, "Dude, you are so awesome for helping me, thanks!!!"
Thanks...
Old Nov 13, 2007, 12:16 am

Programs: UA ex-1K (now nothing), Hilton Gold
Well, 8000 miles is an inconvenient amount -- it's too long for all but the most convoluted transcon MRs (most will probably be closer to 7000). Exactly how many miles are you short? Also, what's your budget like?

Your options seem to be something like this:

1. Do two transcon MRs, which'll kill two weekends, probably cost about $500-$550, and give you more miles than you need.
2. Do one transcon MR forcing connections to give you the extra miles, which will probably get you just about exactly the miles you need, though forcing connections will probably break most fare codes and put the cost about $400-$450 (guessing)
3. Do one international MR, which will be more interesting, give you ~10000 miles, and cost ~$550-$650
Old Nov 13, 2007, 12:23 am

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
If it's any help, I've found that its cheaper to route through OAK-LAX-JFK than SFO-JFK direct, and you squeeze a little more mileage out of it.

Other smaller west coast mileage options include OAK-LAX-SFO-RNO for a cheap and easy 3000 mi and a bit of time in Reno to make you're airfare back. Of course, its actually only cost-effective if you can use some $100 off ecerts.

Some ideas. By no means are these anywhere near the best ideas, but they are an option. Oh, and if you plan a tight convoluted routing, be ready with contingencies in case one leg goes awry.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 9:44 am

Programs: UA ex-1K (now nothing), Hilton Gold
Er, I'm realizing that I missed an option. Do a nice transcon MR on the 7th and 8th for about 6000+ miles, then do a simple intra-California run on the 9th (something like SFO-LAX-SAN-LAX-SFO) for 2000 more, and you're there.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by turing
2. Do one transcon MR forcing connections to give you the extra miles, which will probably get you just about exactly the miles you need, though forcing connections will probably break most fare codes and put the cost about $400-$450 (guessing)
Yep. I see some options on US/UA for multiple stopover flights to SJU that would net between 8000-8600 EQM, and price out around $400-450.

From OAK, there's a 7-segment itinerary that would net almost 9000 EQM (!).

All of this was found on ITA, BTW. Not great CPM but if you gotta get it done, doing it in one day is probably preferable. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.