Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Professional Tips for First Time MR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Professional Tips for First Time MR

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2007, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Wink Professional Tips for First Time MR

I'm doing my first MR ever in December....EWR-IAH-SEA-ANC-SEA-IAH-EWR. Just shy of 10,000 miles. I'm sitting in steerage and looking for some tips to make this trip a bit more palatable. I think I am going to be in the air for about 33 hours or so over a two day period!

Obviously I need to keep myself busy, but between Ambien, Books and movies on the computer/iphone I think I'll be in good shape. What I'm more concerned about is not feeling like a sweaty, dirty, greasy mess. I have presidents club access. Do any of the facilities I'm going to have a shower? I've got 2 hours on the ground IAH-SEA and 3 hours SEA-ANC so a shower would be great!^ I guess I could always wipe myself down with baby wipes otherwise LOL

Any other tips you could offer that would help me be more comfortable are very welcome!
Old Nov 11, 2007, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA/CO/UA Marriott
Originally Posted by TommyC80
I'm sitting in steerage and looking for some tips to make this trip a bit more palatable.

Avoid middle seats at all cost.
My first MR was to ANC in a middle seat both ways!
Old Nov 11, 2007, 7:35 pm
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
CO Presidents Clubs at IAH and EWR have showers, the also offer day passes for $45 good for the date of purchase and unlimited visits that date, with clubs at all your stops except ANC. They also have complementary snacks, coffee, soda, juice and alcoholic drinks.

EDIT: Sorry I missed your PC access sentence. Are any of your flights on AS?

Last edited by ed1; Nov 11, 2007 at 7:40 pm
Old Nov 11, 2007, 7:48 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
That much time in a plane and yep, what you speak of is quite understandable. May I suggest checking out the threads on MR Packing Lists (I'm lousy w/ links at the moment). As you read thru people's contributions in these (more than one thread, and possibly in more than one forum, but can't recall) you'll get a feel for what people bring and/or do to meet understandable needs like yours. I think there's also a thread or to on ANC mileage runs, if that's helpful. Good luck!!
Old Nov 11, 2007, 7:52 pm
ed1

Originally Posted by moldavian
Avoid middle seats at all cost.
My first MR was to ANC in a middle seat both ways!
Check seat maps at SeatGuru for the better seats. If you're on the 757-300 the bulkhead exit door seat in row 34 are really roomy. So are row 8, but if they're boarding by door 2, it's not a great place to be sitting during boarding but quick for deplaning.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL Silver, CO Silver, AA, Wyndham ByRequest
Pack a little bottle of axe/anti-persp/etc in your Kip Hawley is an Idiot bag. It's amazing how a little spritz of freshness can perk you up after you've been flying for a couple hours.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Bonvoy, WoH, HH
You are looking pretty good for now.

To share couple tips that I learned from my yesterday MR.

1. Laptop & iPhone. I brought these two machine, and it kept me connected to the outside world.
a) You may consider buying those wifi connection "Bingo" AKA "Concourse" wifi, which is good for 24hours nationwide major airports.
b) Download Sky Team timetable to your laptop. To figure out possible alternative schedules as flight delays and cancels.
c) if you want to reduce your bag weight, just bring white iPhone usb cable part, and charge it through your laptop as you charge/use your computer.

2. Earplugs,, this will help you to fall a sleep much easier.
(Unless you have a NC headphones.)

3. Socks! I've found these needs to be changed after certain period.
(You may go for entier flights, but not recommended)

4. Tooth brush & paste.

5. Pen
(Main Purpose is to do Sudoku & crossword puzzle on the back of the megazine, but I used for many other purposes too.)

6. Good body stretch strategy
(Legs are really get tired after 2nd or 3rd flight; I guess after IAH-SEA flight in your case. Stretch out after each flight.)
Old Nov 11, 2007, 9:19 pm
ed1

Originally Posted by jameskwon
You are looking pretty good for now.

To share couple tips that I learned from my yesterday MR.

1. Laptop & iPhone. I brought these two machine, and it kept me connected to the outside world.
a) You may consider buying those wifi connection "Bingo" AKA "Concourse" wifi, which is good for 24hours nationwide major airports.
b) Download Sky Team timetable to your laptop. To figure out possible alternative schedules as flight delays and cancels.
c) if you want to reduce your bag weight, just bring white iPhone usb cable part, and charge it through your laptop as you charge/use your computer.

2. Earplugs,, this will help you to fall a sleep much easier.
(Unless you have a NC headphones.)

3. Socks! I've found these needs to be changed after certain period.
(You may go for entier flights, but not recommended)

4. Tooth brush & paste.

5. Pen
(Main Purpose is to do Sudoku & crossword puzzle on the back of the megazine, but I used for many other purposes too.)

6. Good body stretch strategy
(Legs are really get tired after 2nd or 3rd flight; I guess after IAH-SEA flight in your case. Stretch out after each flight.)
As to wifi, PC, at least when open, will have free wifi, and it may be available just outside the club even when they're closed. I know I was able to use the WC wifi outside DTW main club for about an hour before they opened.

Downloading the SkyTeam desktop schedule to your laptop is a very good idea and you can use it without an internet connection. Know your options in the case of IROPS.

I usually get up and walk a few lengths of the plane (or just Y, if not in F) at least once during longer flights, usually when I get up to use the lav.

Obviously you'll want a change of clothes for after your shower.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Here is what I take. (This was copied from this thread about my 13 segment 2 day run):

I have seen many threads about what people take with them and most “novice” runners want to bring everything they can think of. I have seen lists that would fill a whole roller-board and a backpack. This, IMHO, is way more stuff that you need. To start with let me discuss bag. I have a Samsonite Computer roller board that I picked up at Office Max for a respectable $80. It fits in all overheads, including a “tight fit” on a CRJ200 (this is key). It had 3 main pockets with zippers (on the top of the bag) and then one front pocket with areas for pens, cell phones, cards, etc. One of the pockets is actually for clothes and would probably fit two days of clothes if you were stingy with what you packed – perfect for a weekend overnight trip. The middle pocket is for the laptop with a separate flap to insert the laptop and then 3 Velcro pockets for items. The last pocket is for files, and has three separate compartments. The front pocket is has 3 pen slots, one more Velcro pocket, three business card slots, one clip for a key ring and plenty of room for other “junk”. But here is how I pack the bag for a MR:

1) Front Pocket: 3 Pens in the pen slots – my wallet and cell phone in the Velcro pocket, my car keys clipped to the clip and my 1K drink chits in the business card slots. I also put my chap stick, Dramamine and pain pills in here.

2) File Folder Pocket: One DVD of a TV series (this provides multiple hours of watching and you only need one DVD case), a spreadsheet (printed out) timetable of all the cities that I am flying through incase of Irr-ops, a printout of my current (and future) itineraries and a few sheets of paper for writing on (I like to track my flights for FlightMemory).

3) Main CPU Pocket: In one of the Velcro pockets I have Smokes and Matches, another pocket has my camera battery charger and cell phone charger, the last pocket is currently not in use. The CPU goes in the CPU flap.

4) Clothes Pocket: This has a few clothes, normally (and in this case) a change of underwear, socks and a new shirt. I also put my digital camera, CPU charger and my Bose QC3 Headphones (with a Nano and USB charger in the outside pocket of the headphone case) in here.

Edited to add: Deoderent is a good thing and it easliy added to the clothes pocket.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 12:04 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Unless you're bald...a hat is a must on the long Mr's with now shower in site. On day 2 I have to wear one, othewise I look somone who just rolled out of a gutter or jail
Old Nov 12, 2007, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
What is the shower situation like at IAH? I assume it is in the terminal E PC, and how long is the wait, are there towels???

TYIA
Old Nov 12, 2007, 2:01 pm
ed1

Originally Posted by colpuck
What is the shower situation like at IAH? I assume it is in the terminal E PC, and how long is the wait, are there towels???

TYIA
E and C - South (from here).

I would imaging they provide towels, at least most of the clubs with showers provide the towels. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the showers there can provide more info including waiting times. If you don't get an answer here you could search the CO OP forum, or post a new thread if you can't find one open asking about showers in IAH PC.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:03 am

If you're not sitting in a location with convenient access to your carry-on, and as long as it doesn't cramp your style, consider wearing cargo pants/shorts or something with extra pockets. That way, you can keep more of your entertainment (Nintendo DS , phone, book) conveniently accessible before, during, and after the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.