Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Expedia: how to get fare basis/booking class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expedia: how to get fare basis/booking class?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2007, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Shebamiles, WorldPerks
I called Expedia and asked for the fare rules. The person on the line had me hold while they retrieved it, but returned to state that they are unable to get it from the airline with whom the booking is made. They asked that I call them directly.

Called the airline, got the specifics, including change/cancellation fees, fare class etc.
Old May 30, 2010, 7:25 pm

same problem persists in 2010: fare rules not displayed on Expedia.com

I have the exact same problem. I am looking at purchasing a flight on expedia.com, but their website does not display the fare rules. So there is no way to find out the booking class. I need this information because I am thinking of upgrading the flight. See below for the exact text on expedia.

I just called expedia.com. The first agent was completely clueless. She kept telling me that there are only two classes, first class and economy. I politely explained that I need the letter code for the fare and she did not know what that was. She insisted that there is "just two classes, economy and business", and kept acting like I am asking for something that doesn't exist.

I asked if I can get another agent. She said I should hang up and call again. I did that. The second agent knew what a booking class is (at least that!). However, she said that expedia cannot provide that information and that I have to call the airline. Then, she got impatient, and it was super fast, sir, anything else, no, goodbye. (I was very polite)

As per this issue, my opinion is that expedia is intentionally hiding the specific booking class for many of their fares. It is a part of their marketing strategy. The people on the phone are just executing that strategy.

As per their customer service, it is outsourced. I called them several times in the past. If you have a straightforward question, they will be able to help. Otherwise, there will be nobody to assist you.

Here is an excerpt from a fare on expedia.com, taken on May 30, 2010. Yes, they are asking me to buy the ticket without seeing the complete rules. Take it or leave it, my way or the highway.

====================

Fare rules and restrictions
Please review the rules and restrictions listed below. For itineraries that are built out of different routings and restrictions, the most restrictive regulation applies. If you have questions regarding fare rules and restrictions please call our customer service team on 1-800-EXPEDIA (1-800-397-3342) or 1-404-728-8787 from 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
When you purchase your ticket, you agree to these rules and restrictions.
1 Rules and restrictions
We have not received rules or restriction information for this flight. In most cases, the following rules and restrictions may apply:

Most fares are non-refundable, but in many cases, the value of a ticket may be applied to a change in travel dates if the change is made prior to the departure date of the originally scheduled outbound flight.
Rules and restrictions are imposed by the airlines and are subject to change. Expedia must abide by these rules.
Any changes to your flight reservations may incur additional charges.
Airline tickets are non-transferable.
Old May 31, 2010, 9:32 am
ftv

Programs: AS MVP 100K, F9 dirt Hilton damond, Choice Gold, Former DL Plat, UA 1K
I posed a similar question to Orbitz, asking how to determine the fare class before purchase. The answer was asenine. Orbitz said they are a travel agency that, since they sell seats for so many different airlines, they couldn't possibly keep track of all the many fare classes.

No travel-agent-in-training would have this problem much less a full agent. Also, it's not that difficult at all (I have worked in the industry.) I actually like Orbitz but their response made me very, very wary of them and I have stopped some of my business due to their answer.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 1:14 pm

Programs: QF Gold/OW Sapphire (SFSC)
Response from Expedia

I contacted Expedia on this issue and received the following response (which says next to nothing). It seems absolutely nonsensical that a fare can be priced without knowing which fare code it will be booked under. One's incredulity is stretched even further when other websites/airlines manage to display fare basis information prior to booking.

Dear…

Thank you for contacting Expedia.co.uk regarding frequent flyer programs.

I am sorry to know that you did not receive the mileage points on your previous booking. When you add your frequent flyer number to your itinerary on the Expedia.co.uk website, Expedia automatically sends a message to the airline with the itinerary and frequent flyer information. Once you have completed your flight, the airline will award credit if applicable for the fare purchased.

Please note that the fare basis will not reflect on the website, the fare codes are generated once the ticket is issued which reflects on the airline reservation system.

For further assistance, we are available 24 hours on 0330 123 1235 (Calls to the above number costs the same as calls to local rate numbers) or if you are calling from outside the UK, please call us on +44(0)28 90444609(usual costs apply)

Yours Sincerely

Amy Green
Expedia.co.uk
Old Sep 7, 2010, 7:41 pm

I am having a similar problem proving to USAir that a flight booked through Expedia is eligible for miles. I wrote to Expedia and received an e-mail stating the fare code(checked and it is eligible) but have been unable to get a "ticket" from Expedia stating the fare code. Makes me cranky because I really need the miles. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 8:56 am

Programs: KL PFL; BA Gold; A3 Silver; EY Silver; SU Silver
Originally Posted by ETStar
I called Expedia and asked for the fare rules. The person on the line had me hold while they retrieved it, but returned to state that they are unable to get it from the airline with whom the booking is made. They asked that I call them directly.

Called the airline, got the specifics, including change/cancellation fees, fare class etc.
So, my guess was right. The staff uses same web-based platform as general public does.

======

If anyone is able to make Expedia (.com and .ca) to add passenger's emails to the PNRs then everyone will be able to see there e-ticket receipts (with fare basis and fare calculation line) on www.virtualythere.com.

No luck of myself so far
Old Dec 13, 2010, 8:02 am

Programs: TK*G, Delta Gold
I see how I can check the booking class for some (all of the ones I tried) of the Expedia bookings. However I only see ONE "rules and restrictions" set - and for some of the roundtrips I tried there is definitely another half missing (as I know from the prices that outbound and return are in different booking classes). So which one does Expedia show? The lower booking class? The fare of the first flight? And how can I access the booking class of the other one with Expedia? Thank you.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Generally speaking the most restrictive rules apply to the whole fare. This means that a ticket which is half in full Y and half in a deep-discount bucket actually assumes the non-refundable/change fee rules of the lower fare for the whole thing, not just that half.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by ftv
I posed a similar question to Orbitz, asking how to determine the fare class before purchase. The answer was asenine. Orbitz said they are a travel agency that, since they sell seats for so many different airlines, they couldn't possibly keep track of all the many fare classes.

No travel-agent-in-training would have this problem much less a full agent. Also, it's not that difficult at all (I have worked in the industry.) I actually like Orbitz but their response made me very, very wary of them and I have stopped some of my business due to their answer.
Just for reference, here is how to look up the fare basis on Orbitz tix:

You have to click through to the third step, right after the hotel package pitch:

Clicking would have a similar result as this:

As far as I know this has been the case for a long time, certainly before 2010 so not sure why Orbitz support did not guide you through this simple procedure.
Old May 30, 2022, 5:11 pm

Programs: MP 1 Million, 1K
I too would like to find out the fare class and miles earned. I"m looking at a flight from Seattle to Ho Chi Minh City round trip business class. On United it is $5100 with two stops, on the same flight on Expedia it's $4600 and one stop!
Old Jun 20, 2022, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by QameraTravels
I too would like to find out the fare class and miles earned. I"m looking at a flight from Seattle to Ho Chi Minh City round trip business class. On United it is $5100 with two stops, on the same flight on Expedia it's $4600 and one stop!
Check ITA to see if you can price it there.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 8:13 pm

ITA is the goat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.