Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Expedia: how to get fare basis/booking class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2007, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Shebamiles, WorldPerks

How can one get the fare basis/booking class information for a ticket purchased on Expedia? Call the airline with booking reference code?

No rules were displayed for the fare.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 1:33 am

yes they are good at that arent they??
I wonder if a paper ticket has those things on it I know the e tickets definitely dont
it doesnt even have valid to dates

spose they think if u dont ahve the actual conditions you cant take them to task.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA1K, AA EXP, CO Plat, BD*G, NW, DL, Priority Club, SPG & Marriott
The best thing is to know the fare rules before booking and make a copy of the rule for future reference.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 5:53 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
It is impossible to get the fare class for the fare until you book it. Supervisors have access to another system that has the fare class for the $$, but cannot book the ticket for you. Wonderful system, isn't it??
Old Nov 10, 2007, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by opushomes
It is impossible to get the fare class for the fare until you book it. Supervisors have access to another system that has the fare class for the $$, but cannot book the ticket for you. Wonderful system, isn't it??
That's not true.

All fare rules and fare classes are displayed on Expedia (and most other OTAs) before you actually book or purchase them.

Let's use this image as a guide (open it up so you can follow along):
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2304/...81922641_o.jpg

The red box encompasses the area on the page where you can find out about all the terms, conditions, and rules of the fare you're about to purchase. The blue oval is the link that you can click on that will bring up the fare rules and the fare class(es) for this ticket. The purple box encompasses the checkbox that you have to click before you can proceed. Clicking the box indicates that you have read the rules and you agree to them.

Questions?
Old Nov 10, 2007, 6:20 pm

Yes, except as often as not, clicking on the fare rules link brings up some variation of "fare rules unavailable".
honzeek_cz likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
That's not true.

All fare rules and fare classes are displayed on Expedia (and most other OTAs) before you actually book or purchase them.

Let's use this image as a guide (open it up so you can follow along):
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2304/...81922641_o.jpg

The red box encompasses the area on the page where you can find out about all the terms, conditions, and rules of the fare you're about to purchase. The blue oval is the link that you can click on that will bring up the fare rules and the fare class(es) for this ticket. The purple box encompasses the checkbox that you have to click before you can proceed. Clicking the box indicates that you have read the rules and you agree to them.

Questions?
As flyingbrick mentioned, in my case, the "fare rules were not sent to us" message was posted, giving me no possibility of getting information on the fare prior to purchasing it. Am still waiting on a reply from Expedia customer service.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
Questions?
Oh yes. The sun rises in the East. Look, there it is. Oh, dear. It's cloudy and I can't see it.

A bit like clicking on Expedia's fare rules, which, likely or not as already posted, show 'we have not received etc ...' or similar.

The really stupid part is that you have to agree to the rules before you buy!

So, back to the OP's question. Questions?
Old Nov 11, 2007, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Roger
The really stupid part is that you have to agree to the rules before you buy!
That's not stupid, that's good business practice. When you buy a ticket, you're entering into an agreement. Clicking the box says you've read and understood the agreement; purchasing the ticket makes the agreement binding.

Otherwise, Expedia would have people claiming they want to make free changes to non-refundable tickets, etc. That's why rules exist and why they make you agree to them before you buy.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by opushomes
I completely disagree with you. After you select an itinerary, the system will let you review all the rules for the fare you are about to purchase. If you are not aware of it, try to scroll down the page and you will see this option under the rules and restrictions link. Check it out.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jestabillo
I completely disagree with you. After you select an itinerary, the system will let you review all the rules for the fare you are about to purchase. If you are not aware of it, try to scroll down the page and you will see this option under the rules and restrictions link. Check it out.
Since you are adamant that the "system will let you review all the rules for the fare you are about to purchase", how about disproving your claim with the following:

- Go to Expedia
- Search for trip WAS - EBB Dec 12 to Jan 15
- Select the first departure/return options to price it out (KLM flights)
- Get to the review page and select "penalty rules for changes and cancellations " to view your penalties and rules that you claim are always displayed. You can also try "Rules and restrictions"

The system does not always let you view all rules and restrictions. These summaries are what you agree to.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Up until about a year ago, I could almost always get the fare rules on expedia (I use the UK version). Since then, however, 9 times out of 10, I get the message that "Unfortunately the rules are not available for this fare" or "we have not received the rules for this fare" or some similar phrase, accompanied with the statement that "usually, most tickets are non-refundable and may include penalities for changes", even when you have specifically ticked the refundable/no penalty in the search.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by ETStar
Since you are adamant that the "system will let you review all the rules for the fare you are about to purchase", how about disproving your claim with the following:

- Go to Expedia
- Get to the review page and select "penalty rules for changes and cancellations " to view your penalties and rules that you claim are always displayed. You can also try "Rules and restrictions"

The system does not always let you view all rules and restrictions. These summaries are what you agree to.
Since you want to fly KLM and want to do it out of the U.S., you should really book from nwa.com.

For your dates, I found the trip for $1755.77, more than $975 cheaper than the Expedia option. The fare rules are available on NWA.com for this fare basis (QLNR1).

Flight Summary
1 Adult: $1613.00

Taxes/Fees: $142.77
Total Cost: $1755.77

Wednesday, December 12, 2007
KLM 652
Booking Class: Q / Economy 5:55pm Depart Washington (IAD)
7:30am Arrive Amsterdam (AMS)
Plane change (13hr 15min ground time)
Thursday, December 13, 2007
KLM 4141
Booking Class: Q / Economy 8:45pm Depart Amsterdam (AMS)
7:20am Arrive Nairobi (NBO)
Plane change (1hr 15min ground time)
Friday, December 14, 2007
KLM 4160
Booking Class: Q / Economy 8:35am Depart Nairobi (NBO)
9:40am Arrive Entebbe (EBB)
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
KLM 562
Booking Class: Q / Economy 10:55pm Depart Entebbe (EBB)
5:40am Arrive Amsterdam (AMS)
Plane change (7hr 40min ground time)
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
KLM 651
Booking Class: Q / Economy 1:20pm Depart Amsterdam (AMS)
3:55pm Arrive Washington (IAD)
Old Nov 11, 2007, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

SchmutzigMSP, you obviously miss the point. The issue at hand is that Expedia does not provide the fare rules, not where I should buy my ticket nor the cheaper alternative that one could find. The trip example I gave, WAS-EBB, was just that, an example for people to see that Expedia does not provide fare rules and restrictions for all itins. My itinerary and purchased ticket do not involve KL/NW.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by ETStar

- Go to Expedia

You're right for this itinerary!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.