Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA Fares and FareCompare (Old Title: AA Just Posted Huge International Fare Sale)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Fares and FareCompare (Old Title: AA Just Posted Huge International Fare Sale)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2007, 6:35 pm

622$ all in ORD-LHR, is pretty good for the end of Aug. Cheaper than UA anyway by more than 100
Old Aug 7, 2007, 7:22 pm

My suggestion is if an airline abuses the fuel surcharges just add their highest surcharge to their fares and put them at the bottom of the list rater than te top. Keep up the good work. I hope consumer group and laws will work out these deceptions.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerry crump
My suggestion is if an airline abuses the fuel surcharges just add their highest surcharge to their fares and put them at the bottom of the list rater than te top. Keep up the good work. I hope consumer group and laws will work out these deceptions.
All fine and well, but the DOT has ruled fuel surcharges as legal. The only requirement is that in advertising (FareCompare is NOT advertising), all fuel surcharges must be included in the advertised price. The only things that do not need to be included in the advertised price are government-imposed fees and taxes.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
All fine and well, but the DOT has ruled fuel surcharges as legal. The only requirement is that in advertising (FareCompare is NOT advertising), all fuel surcharges must be included in the advertised price. The only things that do not need to be included in the advertised price are government-imposed fees and taxes.
Well, I have many, many times seen airlines advertise prices which do not include the surcharges. Maybe this ruling only has power over US based carriers advertising in the US? Fuel surcharges muddle up price comparisons for shoppers and the uneven separation of charges among airlines in this manner does not benefit the consumer. Now if all airlines used the exact same matter of separating out their revenue into the two categories I guess it would create less of a problem for the consumer. I think we should go back to the days when the base fare includes ALL of the revenue coming to the carrier (you can include a footnote as to how much of this represents the increased fuel costs this year over September 2001 levels or whatever you want). Just my 2 cents.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 8:20 pm

Sure what they are doing is legal but if booking engines all penalize them for deceptive practices they will come around and do what is right. Currently booking engines are rewarding them for deception.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Given:

1. that fares quote through various GDS without the inclusion of fuel surcharges; AND

2. that fuel surcharges are revenue for the airline (i.e., not a direct pass-through to the government authorities of the governmental organization whose air and ground facilities are actually being used on the fare-relevant flights); AND

3. that the airlines have a material incentive to load low fares with high fuel surcharges rather than high fares with no surcharges even when both total revenue amounts are equal (i.e., ultimately constitute the same amount of revenue in the airline's publicly disseminated financial statements); AND

4. that a growing number of retail customers see (and are attracted to) fares loaded into the GDS without the fuel surcharge being disclosed at the time of initial search/display/sort/shopping,

I'd say that the airlines are advertising in a manner that is not fair to the consumers of fares sold via the various GDS.

Of course the airlines and their lobbyists won't accept that claim of mine; and of course the regulators are more likely to listen to those with concentrated interests at stake rather than to diffuse interests. Still, that's the way I see it.*

Collusion on fuel surcharges -- particularly when it affects large cargo consumers -- may grab the headlines but deceptive advertising by way of this quoting low fares to individual retail customers and then charging high fuel surcharges ought to get headlines too.

Cargo-related fuel surcharge collusion and other deceptive practices affecting cargo consumers get nailed because there are more concentrated interests there than there are when it comes to retail passenger fares. That said, I'm not worried -- sooner or later this fuel surcharge gimmick the airlines are playing on the flying public will get nailed too and come to an end.

------------
* Perhaps one or two of the above four "givens" can be demonstrated to be wrong but if so I'm curious how so.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 7, 2007 at 8:34 pm
Old Aug 7, 2007, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Given:

1. that fares quote through various GDS without the inclusion of fuel surcharges; AND

2. that fuel surcharges are revenue for the airline (i.e., not a direct pass-through to the government authorities of the governmental organization whose air and ground facilities are actually being used on the fare-relevant flights); AND

3. that the airlines have a material incentive to load low fares with high fuel surcharges rather than high fares with no surcharges even when both total revenue amounts are equal (i.e., ultimately constitute the same amount of revenue in the airline's publicly disseminated financial statements); AND

4. that a growing number of retail customers see (and are attracted to) fares loaded into the GDS without the fuel surcharge being disclosed at the time of initial search/display/sort/shopping,

I'd say that the airlines are advertising in a manner that is not fair to the consumers of fares sold via the various GDS.

Of course the airlines and their lobbyists won't accept that claim of mine; and of course the regulators are more likely to listen to those with concentrated interests at stake rather than to diffuse interests. Still, that's the way I see it.* Collusion on fuel surcharges may grab the headlines but deceptive advertising by way of this quoting low fares to customers but charging high fuel surcharges ought to get headlines too.

------------
* Perhaps one or two of the above four "givens" can be demonstrated to be wrong but if so I'm curious how so.
My only issue with your complaints is that fare quotes are rarely, if ever, based on the filed fare in GDS, as in a tariff display.

How would a travel agent even begin to tell a customer the total fare without selling the actual flights and coming up with a tax-inclusive total price? With the tax-inclusive total price, the base fare and fuel surcharges are included.

I think people are focused on the FareCompares of the world, and not actually ticket outlets that actually sell tickets.

I can tell you that online agencies like Orbitz show the base and total, with the base actually inclusive of fuel surcharges, and the total inclusive of taxes too.

As for advertising, the strict definition of advertising is any online of print/TV/radio media that is run by airlines. As far as I know, airlines conducting business in the U.S. include fuel surcharges by requirement of the law.

As an example, UA is now advertising ORD-AMS at $279 each way based on r/t purchase. This is a fuel-surcharge inclusive fare, because the GDS filed fare is $408 r/t (or $204 one way). The fuel surcharge is US$75 each way. The total of $204 and $75 is $279, which matches UA's advertising.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
My only issue with your complaints is that fare quotes are rarely, if ever, based on the filed fare in GDS, as in a tariff display.

How would a travel agent even begin to tell a customer the total fare without selling the actual flights and coming up with a tax-inclusive total price? With the tax-inclusive total price, the base fare and fuel surcharges are included.

I think people are focused on the FareCompares of the world, and not actually ticket outlets that actually sell tickets.

I can tell you that online agencies like Orbitz show the base and total, with the base actually inclusive of fuel surcharges, and the total inclusive of taxes too.

As for advertising, the strict definition of advertising is any online of print/TV/radio media that is run by airlines. As far as I know, airlines conducting business in the U.S. include fuel surcharges by requirement of the law.

As an example, UA is now advertising ORD-AMS at $279 each way based on r/t purchase. This is a fuel-surcharge inclusive fare, because the GDS filed fare is $408 r/t (or $204 one way). The fuel surcharge is US$75 each way. The total of $204 and $75 is $279, which matches UA's advertising.
That example basically matches what Fare Compare shows here. At one point I suggested that it might be helpful to have a Subtotal column in that display and add the Base and Surcharge together for ease of comparison (and other posters just about bit my head off for even suggesting that, for reasons that are still not clear to me). Leaving the Tax column blank is fine, since taxes on a given route are likely to vary only slightly from one carrier to another.

The "Did you know?" heading on that page contains some depressing news about CO, if true. More than likely the trivia generator is just looking at the first leg, or something like that.

In a way, this AA discrepancy on FC (base fare but no surcharge) is the opposite of the NW/KL deal to BUH (surcharge but no base fare). If only it were bookable!
Old Aug 7, 2007, 9:09 pm

Programs: Long Live NWA Silver Elite,Delta Silver Medallion
Angry Isn't my memory..

Isn't my memory correct that both England and the US just fined BA $500m
for price fixing with Virgin last week - and that the basis of the action was that they colluded on "fuel surcharges"?

The consumer reacts to the low price point but then gets socked with fuel surcharges. It's like Sears selling the Side by Side for $499 and then charging $399 for the 5 year service plan - and you have no option to turn it down if you want the refrigerator @ $499.

In the long run, all this does is hurt the entire industry. People eventually catch on and get pissed off.

Michael

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Given:

Of course the airlines and their lobbyists won't accept that claim of mine; and of course the regulators are more likely to listen to those with concentrated interests at stake rather than to diffuse interests. Still, that's the way I see it.*

Collusion on fuel surcharges -- particularly when it affects large cargo consumers -- may grab the headlines but deceptive advertising by way of this quoting low fares to individual retail customers and then charging high fuel surcharges ought to get headlines too.

Cargo-related fuel surcharge collusion and other deceptive practices affecting cargo consumers get nailed because there are more concentrated interests there than there are when it comes to retail passenger fares. That said, I'm not worried -- sooner or later this fuel surcharge gimmick the airlines are playing on the flying public will get nailed too and come to an end.

------------
Old Aug 7, 2007, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Delta SkyMiles
I didn't see where there was information on AA's site either. I even checked the route I keep searching: MIA-MEL still expensive. So slowly, ever so slowly I will try to build up my miles.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 9:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Given the definition of advertising mentioned above is operational today, I'd say it needs to be relaxed going forward.

This is an issue that goes beyond farecompare. Customers of Travelocity/Zuji and a few other places go through this too. I'm just a bit suprised the airlines or the airline's tools (i.e., in the form of misdirected government regulators) haven't cracked down harder (again) on such customer-empowering faculties. (I'd oppose such a crackdown, FWIW.)

Also, using a bricks-and-mortar travel agent this still ends up being an issue -- particularly since they are often enough searching for the lowest available fares for an end-consumer whose travel dates are flexible. A number of those displays come up pre-fuel surcharges too. Generally taxes would be the same on the same routing when purchased in the same place, regardless of operating carrier. Fuel surcharges would not necessarily be the same. The fuel surcharge differences obscures the shopping accuracy of the initial fare in a way that would not be the case if fuel was charged in the manner it used to be before, that is as part of the fare.

You probably are aware of this already, but airline management has not been universally happy with the growth in pricing transparency that happened in recent years; and some airline management know that the fuel surcharges are a way to obscure the consumer's ability to know early on the actual price the airline (i.e., not government authorities) are charging and still attract eyeballs more quickly than competitors. That is, for example, a low fare + high fuel surcharge ticket of $200 all-in would grab business under the current arrangement from a carrier with a higher fare + lower fuel surcharge ticket of $180 all-in. If fuel surcharges were not allowed in the manner they are now allowed, then consumers would be better off than they are under the current circumstances that advantage carriers who do "lower fare but higher fuel surcharge" over carriers who do higher fares with lower/no fuel surcharge.

Fare+taxes (i.e., where fare covers the cost of fuel too) is distinct from fare+taxes+fuel charges. Previously there was just fare (inclusive of fuel charges)+taxes, so now the airlines' lately breaking out a fuel component charge comes across to a number of us as being just a gimmick -- particularly as the prior categorization/breakdown lead to initial displays being a more accurate reflection of what the airline's revenue from a ticket was.

Whether with airline management forethough or not, there's a material incentive for the airlines to remove/restrict pricing transparency. If this (lack of pricing transparency in this manner) is allowed to continue, I'd expect more airline surcharges to happen; after all, an "a la carte" approach to passenger tickets would really kill what remains of transparency in air travel pricing.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvatantage Platinum (using Platinum challenge and 2 MRs)
Surcharges in General FYI

Surcharges can be added to a base fare in 2 ways.

There is a rule category (Category 12 to be exact) called Surcharges where an airline must file any surcharges for North American Travel and "MAY" file for international travel.

Previously the DOT required U.S. based airlines to file all fuel surcharges in rule category 12 (Surcharges). They relaxed this requirement for international airfares at the behest of the U.S. domestic airlines who complained that the foreign flag carriers filed there fuel surcharges directly with the GDS called (YQ/YR) charges (YQ Fuel) (YR Insurance).

Many of the U.S. based airlines removed there surcharges from rule category 12 and started filing it in YQ/YR.

The format for YQ/YR surcharges, for perfect application requires an Itinerary with all connection points. YQ/YR have a complex rule system that requires analysis of each segment of the trip to properly compute.

This makes it difficult (not impossible) to add the fuel surcharges on an airfare that might have dozens of different routings and therefore dozens of different surcharges.

This is not unlike computing international taxes for a an airfare. Taxes are not computed relative to the origin/destination. They are computed based on each leg of an itinerary and vary wildly depending on what country you transit through.

So the dilemma is the following on international surcharges:

1) Maximize each of the possible combinations and quote the base price + the maximum possible surcharge (usually the proper surcharge but not always). In this case there could be an over quote for those exception routings where the fuel surcharges are lower or not applicable.

2) Try to pick the most common routing on that airline and use that to compute the fuel surcharge.

3) Only ever quote base fare (apples to apples but does not reflect accurate total pricing before taxes).

What are working on now, is #2.

This requires tons of computing resource, licensing the OAG flight schedule feeds and processing the possible itineraries in real time after every international airfare feed (5 per day).

The algorithm is not trivial as well.

We are working on it and we will sort it out shortly.

Our goal is to compare apples to apples with all surcharges and also with estimated taxes as well. We believe this to be the only reasonable and fair way to quote items in a non-biased manner.

---

rosj
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; BA Gold; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rosj
So the dilemma is the following on international surcharges:

1) Maximize each of the possible combinations and quote the base price + the maximum possible surcharge (usually the proper surcharge but not always). In this case there could be an over quote for those exception routings where the fuel surcharges are lower or not applicable.

2) Try to pick the most common routing on that airline and use that to compute the fuel surcharge.

3) Only ever quote base fare (apples to apples but does not reflect accurate total pricing before taxes).

What are working on now, is #2.

This requires tons of computing resource, licensing the OAG flight schedule feeds and processing the possible itineraries in real time after every international airfare feed (5 per day).

The algorithm is not trivial as well.

We are working on it and we will sort it out shortly.

Our goal is to compare apples to apples with all surcharges and also with estimated taxes as well. We believe this to be the only reasonable and fair way to quote items in a non-biased manner.
I am constantly amazed at the sophistication of your company's product. However, I think you should go with option #1, especially if, as you said, the maximum possible surcharge and the proper surcharge are usually one and the same. In addition to reducing your significant resource burden in trying to accurately estimate a surcharge based on the most common routing, perhaps a more significant benefit would be that the total cost of a ticket excluding taxes would never be underestimated by FareCompare; thus when we users rely upon FareCompare, the only surprises would be pleasant ones.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 12:07 am

Programs: (almost) everything!
rosj , I was almost going to suggest #3, however, I applaud your decision not to take easy way out.

Last edited by Tclin; Aug 8, 2007 at 12:13 am
Old Aug 8, 2007, 12:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
I'm content with #3, but advanced user options where people could choose display option for themselves would be ideal down the line. As it is, this is a great tool that I'm very thankful for.

And maybe it's time to change the title of this thread and move it to the MR Discussion forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.