Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Gonna be a few short of UAL 100k, what to do ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2007, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

I am going to be about 12k miles (and / or about 12 segments) short of making 100k on United by the end of this year. I am Premiew Exec right now
I'd thought about either cramming a couple quick europe weekend trips, or starting to to 2x legs instead of my direct flight to/from the client site.

Any other suggestions or tips to make the 100k milestone ?

Thanks in advance
Bill
Old Aug 6, 2007, 5:30 pm

Welcome to FT. Depending on where you live, it will probably be cheapest to do a couple quick MRs maximizing segments. Getting 12 segments is actually pretty easy on UA. Or just pad your existing flight plans if possible to get to 12. That will be cheaper than a couple Europe runs.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 6:12 pm
formerly OliverS

Wouldn't one Europe trip be sufficient?
Old Aug 6, 2007, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by OliverS
Wouldn't one Europe trip be sufficient?
Not if the OP is coming from the East Coast.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 6:33 pm

the first question is whether you have the top version of the united credit card. (I believe it's still 5,000 eqm to upgrade to that. It has an annual $140 rate, up from the $60 of the other card.

If you don't have that, get it and a trip cross country. but where are you from?
Old Aug 6, 2007, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
If UA does double EQM/EQS again, will that cover you or put you a lot closer?
Old Aug 6, 2007, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Did you check Farecompare.com yet? I would just find a site that is 6000 miles away from you, and purchase the R/T that is the cheapest, and invest a weekend and one night in a foreign land for the 1K status.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 7:00 am
Original Poster

I'm from Chicago, so no problem with availability of flights. I will look into the United Chase Visa card, good idea. I'm a Chase customer too.
I hope they so the double miles thing again, that would get me there

Thanks !
Old Aug 10, 2007, 7:55 am
Original Poster

I'm just a little confused in the Visa card. There's a "Mileage Plus Signature Visa" which I already have, and a "United Platinum Business" card.

Neither of these look like they will do anything to accumulare my EQM, they just get me a bunch of bonus miles, which won't help get me to 100k status.

Am I missing something here ?
Perhaps it's a deal when I book a UAL flight with the card, that's when they'll apply EQM's from the card purchase?
Old Aug 10, 2007, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Talking

I am now "un"confused. I signed up for the Mileage Plus Platinum Class Visa
5,000 EQM after your first purchase
5,000 EQM when you spend $35,000 per year with your card
Up to 5,000 EQM for airline ticket purchases on united.com - 1 EQM per $1

I am going to make !00k this year after all.
Thanks for all your advice

Bill
Old Aug 10, 2007, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Gold, IHG & Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
If you're in Chicago and you need segments, check flying out of SBN, MKE, or even RFD.

SBN is the last stop on the South Shore train line from Chicago. MKE now has its own Amtrak station (and free shuttle bus). RFD has free parking and United flights to Denver. Also check U.S. Airways connections.

For example, you can do same-day SBN-ORD-IND-ORD-SBN trips for $158.10 all-in (checking October 20). So for $474.30 you've got 12 segments. PIT is the same fare but more miles. That's just a quick check -- you can probably do better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.