FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   Mistake fares: I pledge to to be ethical (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/693548-mistake-fares-i-pledge-ethical.html)

tcook052 May 16, 2007 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Altaflyer (Post 7749814)
If a fare is offered and I accept then we have a deal. No regrets and no guilt.

No regrets about not flying on the BA $20 WT+ deal you found? ;)

Altaflyer May 16, 2007 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 7750536)
No regrets about not flying on the BA $20 WT+ deal you found? ;)

Regrets, well given circumstances at the time it was just not an option. I actually much prefer the NZ deal :)

harryhv May 16, 2007 10:55 pm

What are the ethics of UA's redirecting to the ICC not only reservations but also lost-luggage enquiries and, ridiculously, all complaints?

The stinking ICC is a monstrous insult to UA's pax.

For some suppliers I might feel obliged to call to warn them of a pricing-error but thanks to the ICC, UA forfeits any such sympathy.

Thalassa May 16, 2007 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70 (Post 7743156)
I find the whole mistake fare thing so intruiging. I don't want FT to turn into a forum of people trying to take advantage of the airlines. Rather, I have always seen FT as a way to share good and honest ways of earning miles. When we shy away from calling the airline because we think the fare might not be a valid fare, I think we are doing something less than ethical.

That said, what can we do that doesn't compromise our loyalty as customers? I don't know the answer. But I do know that I wouldn't like it if I ran a business and my loyal customers took advantage of honest mistakes.

Some interesting points raised there. I see the issue boiling down to three key questions:

1) If I see a fare that is extraordinarily low (perhaps a mistake), do I try to take advantage of it? That, I believe, is something that should be up to each and every member her/himself.

2) If I see a fare that is extraordinarily low (perhaps a mistake), do I make it known to other FT'ers? Here, I would suggest that in the spirit of open information exchange and loyalty to the FT community, the information should be made available.

3) If I see a fare that is extraordinarily low (perhaps a mistake), do I make it known to the service provider (airline etc.)? No, no, and again, no. It would be highly contrary to the FT spirit of empowering fellow travellers. Also, as pointed out elsewhere, airlines and other service providers do have legal ways of sorting these situations out.

On the other hand, if a service provider does make an obvious pricing mistake and then a) apologizes for it and b) declines to honor the tickets, we should probably carp a little less, provided that the airline handles the process openly and honorably. Not honoring a $1 RTW ticket offer is not weaseling out, it is just common sense.

Cheers,
T.

borneo May 17, 2007 2:20 pm

Modern business ethics? Need more than a yardstick to measure that one.

zrs70 Jun 5, 2007 9:43 am

I suppose the more we convince ourselves that something is right, the more we believe it!

With all the posts about people trying to stay under cover so that no one at the airline will discover something.....

dioxide45 Jun 7, 2007 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap (Post 7743388)
Corporations are machines designed to make money without regard for the damage they do to people, society or the environment.

Given the opportunity I will not hesitate to screw a corporation over. Countless corporations have done the same to me.

Some people may see a corporation as a "machine". There are in fact real people behind them. Albeit some may be wealthy investors, I am sure that many are also like you and I, simple investors with a 401K or a teenagers parents saving for their child’s college education. These errors do affect real people not faceless "machines".

kevinsac Jun 7, 2007 8:00 pm

I pledge to be ethical. If they offer, and I accept, I will follow thru on my legal obligation.

If they offer, and I accept, will they follow thru on their legal obligation ... or try to finagle their way out? :confused:

javabean Jun 8, 2007 2:17 am

Originally Posted by dioxide45 (Post 7868789)
Some people may see a corporation as a "machine". There are in fact real people behind them. Albeit some may be wealthy investors, I am sure that many are also like you and I, simple investors with a 401K or a teenagers parents saving for their child’s college education. These errors do affect real people not faceless "machines".

When you invest in a corporation you know that they will be making you money disregarding any ethical concerns, other people, the environment, or the benefits of the society as a whole. So why do you expect me to worry about your investment?

GrizShel Jun 8, 2007 5:19 am

Originally Posted by zrs70 (Post 7743156)
When we shy away from calling the airline because we think the fare might not be a valid fare, I think we are doing something less than ethical.

I respectfully disagree. Please don't be judgemental of those who can only fulfill many of their travel dreams when they choose to take advantage of real travel bargains when they find them.

Seeing at least one Flyertalker feeling so guilty about purchasing a very cheap airfare that they feel compelled to start such a thread indicates to me that once a super deal is posted, there are always going to be a few folks out there who will alert the airline out of a sense of duty, I guess believing that they can help them avoid financial disaster.

I also resent airlines charging much more than they need when the market doesn't have real competition. Pity the poor person living in small US cities - they almost always have to pay very high fares to fly anywhere in the US.

elmococker Jun 8, 2007 9:18 pm

How's this for ethical?

Airlines seem to be able to do what ever they want when it comes to fares. Is it only ethical if it is in their favor?

Example:

Flew CVG - BGR for about $350 on a four day trip. I tried to get a seat on the same flight the day before and I was told the difference was $997. Just to come back a day early on a flight with 10 empty seats. I was a GL MD at the time.

I know the rules, and I understood the reasons that she gave, but that does not make it right.

I think don't think that companies that would this this to their loyal customers can talk to us about ethics. They just shoudn't use big words that they don't understand.

If this helps you to appreciate the situation most travellers are faced with every week, then it is worth it.

BF263533 Jun 9, 2007 1:06 am

Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap (Post 7743388)
In my view ethics are about how people treat each other.

Since corporations do not treat people (either their customers or their employess) ethically, I don't feel compelled to treat corporations ethically.

Corporations are machines designed to make money without regard for the damage they do to people, society or the environment.

Given the opportunity I will not hesitate to screw a corporation over. Countless corporations have done the same to me.

Corporations do not treat you ethically, but you still are ethical if you take advantage of a mistake. If I make a mistake and book the wrong date, usually I am stuck. If the corporation makes a promise that it will honor its fares, and you take advantage of that promise, that is ethical.

I flew round trip for $16 plus tax to Atlantic City last week. The airline was happy to honor the promo fare. Are we to judge what is a mistake or a promo? If I add an aditional number in Priceline I am stuck with the price. It is not a matter of ethics, but whether you can legally claim the fare.

We are ethical.

PS - I did get a very high grade in my legal ethics course.

babyjesus Jun 9, 2007 11:13 am

if i find a bag of bank deposits that belong to UA, i'll return it to them.

if they sell me an airfare on .bomb, i'll buy and fly it.

karenkay Jun 9, 2007 11:31 am

Originally Posted by babyjesus (Post 7876745)
if i find a bag of bank deposits that belong to UA, i'll return it to them.

if they sell me an airfare on .bomb, i'll buy and fly it.

what he said. :)

i don't feel it's unethical to buy a cheap fare and expect to be able to fly on it. if there were 'given' prices for routes, perhaps, but they change daily, and just because a fare is really cheap one day i don't automatically assume it's a mistake.

it's certainly not my job to let the airlines know that they could be getting more for that ticket that day.

airlines don't feel compelled to let me know if i could have paid less for a given ticket...and they don't feel compelled to give me a break if i made a mistake in booking my ticket--nor should they--so i don't feel compelled to give them a break if they make a mistake in booking my ticket--nor should i.

yulmichael Jun 9, 2007 11:55 am

DO I HAVE ANY LEGAL RIGHTS ?
Yesterday,while searching for a LAX - BKK fare for Aug. , I stumbled on an
amazing fare ,published by a woleseller in Toronto.
CAD$ 349 for 2 pax all in ( via TPE ).
I immediately booked it ( including payment with a C.C. ).
15 minutes later,I received the e-mail confirmation.
2 hours later I reveived a tel. call from that wholeseller , telling me that the
fare was a mistake and they are not going to honor it. An argument on my
part did not change anything.

A note. While doing the booking , on the booking page, it states :
" I understand that even after pressing the PURCHASE BUTTON that a
reservation is not confirmed until I receive a confirmation email "
I had to check the box next to the statement.
As mentioned , I have received the confirmation e-mail.

Do I have any legal recourse ?
Michael .