Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] Wickedly Low Biz Class Fare from YYZ to LCA (Cyprus) on AZ (Alitalia)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:31 am

Programs: AA PLT, CO Silver, frequent WN patron
For what it's worth, Travelocity purchased tix just arrived by Fedex and look valid on their face. No idea whether or not having actual paper will make a difference in this situation...
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by sonora
A suggestion:

(this is probably what I'll do)

Everyone who bought the tickets and got some kind of confirmation sue in their local small claims court. Sue Alitalia and the ticketing agency, Orbitz or whatever. Court costs are generally pretty modest in small claims court. Rules of evidence and what have you are relaxed, and SC court judges are often inclined to give the "little guy" a break.

Even if you don't win, it will be sweet revenge to force these entities to defend all these little lawsuits. I can tell you from experience they'll likely use large law firms for the defense and it will cost them plenty.

I will sue for my Small claims court jurisdictional limit of $3000, and make the case that Mr S and I had a nice trip planned, meeting up with friends, a stopover in Milan long enough to see some important art, etc.
Suing in your own small claims court jurisdiction may not be sufficient, because it may not be the proper jurisdiction in which to bring action. See page 15 of this thread for more discussion on small claims court in relation to fare errors.

Mike
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AndrewC75
I figured at this point, there was little to lose, so I innocently emailed Orbitz:

To: Orbitz
Re: Orbitz PNR: xxxxxxx
The international segments of this confirmed,
ticketed, and paid-for itinerary are mysteriously missing when viewed
online. Please restore them per the confirmation email I received
yesterd titled "Travel Document - Larnaca 7/22/06". Also, it's been
24 hours now, and I still haven't recevied a tracking number for the
tickets, so please provide that in your response. Thanks.

To: AndrewC75
Dear Andrew,

Thank you for contacting Orbitz.

From your e-mail, I understand that you are referring to the flight
reservation titled 'Toronto 7/25/06'.

Please note, this reservation has been canceled. I suggest that you
contact Orbitz Customer Service at 1-888-656-4546 or 1-312-416-0018 (if
calling from outside US) for further assistance.

We value you as a customer and look forward to serving you again in the
future.

Sincerely,

Nicholas
OrbitzTLC
www.Orbitz.com

Orbitz - The faster, easier way to find the trip you want.

So basically, don't bother.
Why doesn't Orbitz say who cancelled the reservation.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Aer Lingus Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Spiff
Whether AZ likes it or not, AZ must follow the rules of the fare, just as the consumer must.

The rules say that date changes are penalty-free. AZ doesn't get to choose whether or not it will do so. If there is D class inventory availability, AZ must do so or AZ has breached the contract that exists between the passenger and AZ.
But isn't the whole problem here that by not honouring the tickets that have already been booked, AZ are already not following the rules of the fare and breaching the contract?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nako
Suing in your own small claims court jurisdiction may not be sufficient, because it may not be the proper jurisdiction in which to bring action. See page 15 of this thread for more discussion on small claims court in relation to fare errors.

Mike
It's not page 15 for most. It's post 820.
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sjc_longhorn
For what it's worth, Travelocity purchased tix just arrived by Fedex and look valid on their face. No idea whether or not having actual paper will make a difference in this situation...
I think that is a common assumption here: that having paper tickets guarantees the existence of an itinerary, regardless of what happens on the airlines' computers.

Are paper tickets a type of 'currency' whose validity cannot be challenged? I honestly don't know.

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by The Flying Scotsman
But isn't the whole problem here that by not honouring the tickets that have already been booked, AZ are already not following the rules of the fare and breaching the contract?

You are correct Sir! ^
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Originally Posted by izzik
I think that is a common assumption here: that having paper tickets guarantees the existence of an itinerary, regardless of what happens on the airlines' computers.
It's not just an assumption, it's a contractual provision stated in most airlines' Contract of Carriage.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's not page 15 for most. It's post 820.
Actually, the discussion starts at about post 815 and goes from there. Your point is well taken, though.

Mike
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:38 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by sonora
A suggestion:

(this is probably what I'll do)

Everyone who bought the tickets and got some kind of confirmation sue in their local small claims court. Sue Alitalia and the ticketing agency, Orbitz or whatever. Court costs are generally pretty modest in small claims court. Rules of evidence and what have you are relaxed, and SC court judges are often inclined to give the "little guy" a break.

Even if you don't win, it will be sweet revenge to force these entities to defend all these little lawsuits. I can tell you from experience they'll likely use large law firms for the defense and it will cost them plenty.

I will sue for my Small claims court jurisdictional limit of $3000, and make the case that Mr S and I had a nice trip planned, meeting up with friends, a stopover in Milan long enough to see some important art, etc.

And with the crazy way airlines do their fares, who knew this was a mistake?
I am debating doing the same thing. Many times, the company won't even be present to defend itself (I doubt AZ will send its people to the Oshkosh, WI municipal court...) , which is an automatic win for the little guy.
I went online today and printed the current price for a comparable itinerary. That's what I'm going to ask for, since that what it would cost me to replace this trip that now not being honored (of course, if the small claims court max is only $3k, then I'm only going to ask for $3k...)
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by izzik

Are paper tickets a type of 'currency' whose validity cannot be challenged? I honestly don't know.
Paper tickets are a type of currency in as far as they are part of a transaction settlement form of payment -- which is exactly what a currency is.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:39 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Exactly, and this fare was widely publicized by FT and (not so much to my liking) Fare Alert.

Also, airlines have undocumented unpublished fare sales every day. Why should any of us concede this is an alleged mistake?

Originally Posted by PHLDividends
Spirit Air: $9 to the Caribbean.
USAir: 50-cent flights to Rome.

I have a printed itinerary from Orbitz that says "Your flight is confirmed. The airline is assigning seats at check-in."

What does "your flight is confirmed" mean if the entire ticket can then be cancelled?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by bostonbali
I am debating doing the same thing. Many times, the company won't even be present to defend itself (I doubt AZ will send its people to the Oshkosh, WI municipal court...) , which is an automatic win for the little guy.
Again, this assumes that your local court doesn't throw the case out due to lack of jurisdiction. See post 1608.

Mike
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:41 am
Suspended

"Have paper, will fly" isn't an old mantra?
Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:41 am

Programs: CO OP Serf
Did those who ordered through Travelocity get a ticket number displayed at the bottom of their PNRs on the website? Because I recieved an e-mail yesterday telling me that my tickets were printed, but I'm not showing any ticket number. Travelocity is my last hope, as everyone else has canceled, despite getting in on things for my first booking at around 11 PM PST.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.