Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] CAI to World - Currency Conversion Issue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] CAI to World - Currency Conversion Issue?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2024, 6:03 am

Programs: Aer Club Silver | BAEC Bronze | ALL Silver | Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by kayzng
is Class Y economy or business? i thought Al Mourjan is strictly for business class and not possible through FF status?
The DOH-GRU was in business.
Old May 10, 2024, 9:39 am

Programs: A3*G, FB plat, Hilton silver, IHG diamond
Originally Posted by Dog250
Yes I did.
Managed to beat the morning rush hour for the shower too!

Thanks!
Perfect. Thanks for the repky
Dog250 likes this.
Old May 10, 2024, 11:09 am

Dog250 Apologies for the straightforward question, but since I booked my flight through the LATAM website and secured a Business (Z) fare, I was wondering if you did the same and if that means I will also have access to Al Mourjan lounge?
Dog250 likes this.
Old May 10, 2024, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by MPatrone
Dog250 Apologies for the straightforward question, but since I booked my flight through the LATAM website and secured a Business (Z) fare, I was wondering if you did the same and if that means I will also have access to Al Mourjan lounge?
No problem at all.
I was booked into the same 'Z' class LATAM ticket.
You'll have no problem accessing the Al Moujran lounge.

You should get a bag tag for your hand luggage when you check in at Cairo. This will allow you to use the fast track security when you transfer at DOH.

You'll also get use of the LATAM lounge in GRU.

Also please note - when you depart Asuncin airport they require you to have a paper boarding pass to get through to security.
Don't do what I did and wait in the queue with a mobile boarding pass only to be told "please get a paper pass"...
​​​​​
​​​​​​Thanks!

​​​​​​
cruser1 and Malibu369 like this.

Last edited by Dog250; May 12, 2024 at 3:56 pm
Old May 12, 2024, 3:28 pm

Dog250 Thank you so much for your detailed response! It really puts my mind at ease knowing that we'll have no trouble accessing the Al Mourjan lounge. I truly appreciate the tips you've shared as well – they'll definitely come in handy during our journey.

If it's not too much trouble, could you please let us know if you had access to the Al Mourjan lounge on your return flight? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you'll have the QSuite experience on your way back. Safe travels!
Dog250 likes this.
Old May 12, 2024, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by MPatrone
Dog250 Thank you so much for your detailed response! It really puts my mind at ease knowing that we'll have no trouble accessing the Al Mourjan lounge. I truly appreciate the tips you've shared as well they'll definitely come in handy during our journey.

If it's not too much trouble, could you please let us know if you had access to the Al Mourjan lounge on your return flight? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you'll have the QSuite experience on your way back. Safe travels!
Happy to help!

Thank you! 🙏🤞
My return from Montevideo is on Tuesday 14th. Will keep you updated.

​​​​​​
Old May 14, 2024, 5:18 pm

An update on my return trip to CAI

So QR780 is just about to leave... And I'm not on it.

Was unable to check in online to the GRU-DOH leg
Got to GRU ok and on time. Entered Brazil and headed to the check in counters.
"Where is your yellow fever certificate??"
I completely forgot about that requirement... I left it at home.
I pushed back and said I'm only transiting but she was having none of it.
​​​​​​Denied boarding. I was sent to the LATAM desk to sort it out.
So I'm currently on my way back to Montevideo via Santiago...

Now I'm in a mad panic looking for ways home.

After searching for options for what seemed like hours I managed to eventually book an Avios redemption from Santiago on Thursday... I was planning on using them for something else but oh well, it's my own fault! Thank goodness I had avios and there was 1 seat left in premium economy...

Note to self - always have a back up plan and don't be a idiot like me lol.
Luckily I'm not back to work until next week.
​​​​​
Now I'm off to book a hotel and plan my unplanned trip to Chile!
At least they booked me premium economy back to MVD so got to use the lounge in GRU.
Sorry that I won't be able to give any updates about the lounge in DOH!

I'll get to try the Qsuites one day 😁

Thanks!

AHH one more thing - mobile boarding passes are ok at MVD.
Old May 15, 2024, 2:30 am

Whoa, thats a pitty!
Where did you find this requirement? I have checked the qatar website and did not find any information about this.
I guess I have to check all requirements for my trip again.

Thank you!
Old May 15, 2024, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
YF: When you enter certain countries from Brazil you will be required to show proof of Yellow Fever vaccination at check-in. Egypt and Colombia are among those countries. A few years ago, when checking in at GRU for a AV flight to BOG, I was asked for proof of YF vaccination; I had no idea/knowledge of this requirement, but luckily I had my yellow vaccination booklet where I had a YF vaccination stamp = I was able to board. I witnessed several other (foreigners) not being able to check-in due to no YF vaccination. Afterwards, I researched it a bit, and apparently the check-in counters at GRU are notorious for requiring proof of YF vaccination and in particular when flights are full/ it would be convenient to reject some pax from the flight.

The requirements for entering Egypt from Brazil is here:

All travelers arriving directly or transiting for over 12 hours through Brazil, Angola, Argentina, Benin (see 38 additional countries) must have a valid Yellow Fever vaccination certificate.Details and exemptions

This requirement doesn't apply to the following travelers: - Travelers under the age of 9 months

For full details and exemptions, see WHO - Yellow Fever

Updated on April 1, 2024

Source: Visa, Passport & Health Requirements | SkyTeam
Old May 15, 2024, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was unable to check in online to the GRU-DOH leg
Got to GRU ok and on time. Entered Brazil and headed to the check in counters.
"Where is your yellow fever certificate??"
I completely forgot about that requirement... I left it at home.
I pushed back and said I'm only transiting but she was having none of it.
​​​​​​Denied boarding. I was sent to the LATAM desk to sort it out.
Sorry to hear about this. Bad luck I guess and maybe due to fact that you entered Brazil and approached the landside check-in counters. I doubt you would have been asked for YF certificate if you had checked in at transfer desks airside.

Did LATAM rebook/offer to rebook the GRU-DOH-CAI segments or they are lost due to no-show?
Old May 15, 2024, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Sorry to hear about this. Bad luck I guess and maybe due to fact that you entered Brazil and approached the landside check-in counters. I doubt you would have been asked for YF certificate if you had checked in at transfer desks airside.

Did LATAM rebook/offer to rebook the GRU-DOH-CAI segments or they are lost due to no-show?
They only offered to book me back to Montevideo. No other options were given.
I hope they aren't lost. I'm going to call them when I return home.
Old May 15, 2024, 7:18 am

YF: When you enter certain countries from Brazil you will be required to show proof of Yellow Fever vaccination at check-in. Egypt and Colombia are among those countries. A few years ago, when checking in at GRU for a AV flight to BOG, I was asked for proof of YF vaccination; I had no idea/knowledge of this requirement, but luckily I had my yellow vaccination booklet where I had a YF vaccination stamp = I was able to board. I witnessed several other (foreigners) not being able to check-in due to no YF vaccination. Afterwards, I researched it a bit, and apparently the check-in counters at GRU are notorious for requiring proof of YF vaccination and in particular when flights are full/ it would be convenient to reject some pax from the flight.

The requirements for entering Egypt from Brazil is here:

All travelers arriving directly or transiting for over 12 hours through Brazil, Angola, Argentina, Benin (see 38 additional countries) must have a valid Yellow Fever vaccination certificate.Details and exemptions

This requirement doesn't apply to the following travelers: - Travelers under the age of 9 months

For full details and exemptions, see WHO - Yellow Fever

Updated on April 1, 2024

Source: Visa, Passport & Health Requirements | SkyTeam
Yes, I tried explaining that I was only transiting and I had only just arrived in Brazil (and entered to get my boarding pass).
She then replied "but they won't know how long you've been here for". Even though I have my boarding pass from MVD...
Old May 15, 2024, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Noted. The agent was clearly in the wrong (provided that you had been in Brazil less than 12 hours) - your mistake was to enter Brazil and approach the check-in counters landside; I bet if you had remained airside and checked in a QR transfer desk, you wouldn't have been asked for YF vacc. certificate.

They only offered to book me back to Montevideo. No other options were given.
I hope they aren't lost. I'm going to call them when I return home.
​​​​​​
This sounds very strange. Why would LATAM provide travel back to Paraguay unless it was in exchange for the segments that you would not be able to travel on from GRU? I'm sorry to say this but I doubt LATAM is going to give you a "free" ticket back to ASU (and be prepared to rebook the segments ASU-GRU-DOH-CAI to a later date); but I suppose you will find out when you contact LATAM for rebooking.

Do report back how this turns out as it got me really curious here.​

Last edited by SK AAR; May 15, 2024 at 8:24 am
Old May 15, 2024, 8:52 am

Noted. The agent was clearly in the wrong (provided that you had been in Brazil less than 12 hours) - your mistake was to enter Brazil and approach the check-in counters landside; I bet if you had remained airside and checked in a QR transfer desk, you wouldn't have been asked for YF vacc. certificate.

​​​​​​
This sounds very strange. Why would LATAM provide travel back to Paraguay unless it was in exchange for the segments that you would not be able to travel on from GRU? I'm sorry to say this but I doubt LATAM is going to give you a "free" ticket back to ASU (and be prepared to rebook the segments ASU-GRU-DOH-CAI to a later date); but I suppose you will find out when you contact LATAM for rebooking.

Do report back how this turns out as it got me really curious here.​
Yes, think you're right tbh. I did have a look for a transfer desk but could only see the security check for transfers and they were asking for boarding passes to get though. So decide to just go land side as I had more than enough time. Big mistake...

It was an interesting situation (having to use Google translate). I asked if I could travel to DOH and I would make my way home from there (as I suspected it would be easier than from South America) but they said no "you're ticket is to Cairo + Qatar requires a yellow fever certificate too."
They didn't mention anything about loosing the ticket or rebooking etc.

Yes, I'm not expecting them to offer anything. A refund of the return flight would be something like 300?? Ideally a rebooking of the MVD-GRU-DOH-CAI at a later date would be a win. Although that's probably unlikely. 🤞🙏
​​​​​
I'll phone them on Friday 17. I'll post back with an update.

Thanks!
cruser1 and captainarabiia like this.
Old May 15, 2024, 10:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, TK Elite Plus, QR Gold, AF Gold
I'm afraid you don't get any refund as this fare was (as far I can remember) non-refundable after the first flight. Maybe some taxes only.
And after all, no-show was technically your fault, not LA's. Perhaps these QR legs can be saved in the sense of moving the date of travel but I don't know if the fare rules allows it in the case of no show.

SK AAR the carrier is in most cases obliged to take the passenger back to the point of departure in the case of denied boarding during travel or refusal of entry to the destination country

Last edited by heliot2009; May 15, 2024 at 12:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.