Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[prem fare gone]: *A US-Europe in Summer from $248 RT in Biz

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[prem fare gone]: *A US-Europe in Summer from $248 RT in Biz

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:35 am

I booked through chase portal but didn't use points, but did use my chase credit card. I also didn't book the $250 flight...I booked a $450 flight ORD-DUB in Oct. I'm actually looking forward to going, and certainly didn't book this flight in any other capacity other than a really nice sale...but if worst case scenario happens, I'll just dispute with chase.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:38 am
pjs

Wow - we had booked EWR-LIS-DUB RT for September and got the throne seats for the A321 transatlantic flights. Checked booking this morning to make sure it was still good. The DUB-LIS flight was cancelled so I called in. They were able to reissue the tickets for just EWR-LIS RT with no charge! Still managed to get the throne seats as well. What great service. I'm really surprised after hearing so many nightmare stories about this airline. Never been to Portugal either so just as happy to go there instead and not waste time on connections at LIS. My advice to anyone who booked these is check regularly as the schedule changes a lot. Also obviously don't book any nonrefundable accommodations.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:54 am

Programs: SE+, OWS
you guys, i have no words... clearly i was making a joke out of it and just warned users from using these words. Thank you to those, who got the joke. For the rest, good luck with your future tickets.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by pjs
Wow - we had booked EWR-LIS-DUB RT for September and got the throne seats for the A321 transatlantic flights. Checked booking this morning to make sure it was still good. The DUB-LIS flight was cancelled so I called in. They were able to reissue the tickets for just EWR-LIS RT with no charge! Still managed to get the throne seats as well. What great service. I'm really surprised after hearing so many nightmare stories about this airline. Never been to Portugal either so just as happy to go there instead and not waste time on connections at LIS. My advice to anyone who booked these is check regularly as the schedule changes a lot. Also obviously don't book any nonrefundable accommodations.
So b/c of this I went and looked at my flight and yep, my DUB to LIS was canceled...but it looks like it was rebooked the next day, but not my LIS-ORD, so will have to call and see what is up.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 8:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SK AAR
It could be but nevertheless expect tickets to be cancelled and to put up a long fight to get a refund, i.e. TAP has achieved the goal of a free credit until it fits TAP to repay.
I have no money at stake with TAP on these tickets, but I advised some others to stay away from this unless willing to take the risk of being a low-level creditor to TAP for longer than they want to be.

Originally Posted by abrelosojos
Mate, EU airlines have collectively got 100 Billion Euros or something like that. TAP has got 4 Billion on last count. I don't think it needs our money. I have one of these error sales, so I hope they get honored, but I would be shocked.
TAP was selling miles as cheap as it could several months ago along with TAP*G status in such a way that no flying was required. That pretty much speaks to TAP being pretty desperate for cash during this pandemic. Even with government bailout support in the picture -- after all it's TAP in Portugal -- they still were doing desperate things like this. And given TAP's history of dirt cheap EU-US business class fares, TAP being desperate to sell business class on the cheap isn't really new. Rather this was a new low from an airline with a bad history of refunding customers during this pandemic.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 8:46 am

Programs: Aadvantage USDividends
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I have no money at stake with TAP on these tickets, but I advised some others to stay away from this unless willing to take the risk of being a low-level creditor to TAP for longer than they want to be.

TAP was selling miles as cheap as it could several months ago along with TAP*G status in such a way that no flying was required. That pretty much speaks to TAP being pretty desperate for cash during this pandemic. Even with government bailout support in the picture -- after all it's TAP in Portugal -- they still were doing desperate things like this. And given TAP's history of dirt cheap EU-US business class fares, TAP being desperate to sell business class on the cheap isn't really new. Rather this was a new low from an airline with a bad history of refunding customers during this pandemic.

Is there some hard timeframe in which the airline can decide they do not wish to honor these fares? Or is it completely arbitrary, i.e. they can decide to cancel months from now?
Old Mar 5, 2021, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
History shows that cancellations happen within the first days/week - although exceptions have occurred in the past.

You should not make any non-refundable hotel reservations or buy positioning flights until shortly before your travel date.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 9:29 am
pjs

Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
So b/c of this I went and looked at my flight and yep, my DUB to LIS was canceled...but it looks like it was rebooked the next day, but not my LIS-ORD, so will have to call and see what is up.
Exactly what happened to me. They connected me with the reticketing line and took care of it. Not sure if we could have made DUB work in the end. I figured we had such a short trip anyway, we'd be better off with nonstops both ways and no connections so less chance of anything else getting screwed up. I figure EWR/ORD-LIS will be about the last flights they cancel.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 10:21 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by tytherby
Is there some hard timeframe in which the airline can decide they do not wish to honor these fares? Or is it completely arbitrary, i.e. they can decide to cancel months from now?
There is no required timeline.

However, some people did book travel for a few weeks from now, and whether they manage to fly should be a pretty good indicator of whether TAP honors this fare.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by danger
If you want it to be honoured then you're using the wrong language.

Whether the fare is dead or not has no impact whatsoever on the nomenclature used. Live fare. Dead fare. Comatosed fare. Don't use language that allows airlines to get out of a contract.
Remember, that any airline will have to claim Manifest Error AND that any reasonable Person acting in a reasonable manner would have known. TAP has a long history of posting extremely low prices, even in normal times. For example I am still in possession of a screenshot from a couple of years ago showing a TAP Dublin-Lisbon-Montreal One Way price of 39 Euros. In these abnormal times when there is almost no international business travel, which is even more pronounced in summer season, it is not unreasonable to believe that business class seats are sold at extremely low prices or they would go empty.

Remember, In this case there no such thing as Mistake "Fare".The Fare you paid is indeed the correct fare and is still available TODAY MARCH 5 2020.

Fare 1: Carrier TP JUSEXI8E NYC to VIE (rules) Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code J
Covers EWR-LIS (Business), LIS-VIE (Business) $53.50.

What they will have to explain to a judge is that a Fee component was missing and that you should have known that. How many people should reasonably know what YQ is and/or how it is calculated? Some airlines charge YQ and others do not. You get the point.

JFKEZE's posting above is very informative and its great to see someone who also has successful experience(s) in Small Claims Court in USA. Just mention the word Discovery and Interrogatory to any corporate counsel, and you will see.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Mar 5, 2021 at 11:53 am
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:55 am

Programs: SQ-S.PPS, DL-G, NW-G, BD-G, US-G, UA-GS
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Remember, that any airline will have to claim Manifest Error AND that any reasonable Person acting in a reasonable manner would have known. TAP has a long history of posting extremely low prices, even in normal times. For example I am still in possession of a screenshot from a couple of years ago showing a TAP Dublin-Lisbon-Montreal One Way price of 39 Euros. In these abnormal times when there is almost no international business travel, which is even more pronounced in summer season, it is not unreasonable to believe that business class seats are sold at extremely low prices or they would go empty.

Remember, In this case there no such thing as Mistake "Fare".The Fare you paid is indeed the correct fare and is still available TODAY MARCH 5 2020.

Fare 1: Carrier TP JUSEXI8E NYC to VIE (rules) Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code J
Covers EWR-LIS (Business), LIS-VIE (Business) $53.50.

What they will have to explain to a judge is that a Fee component was missing and that you should have known that. How many people should reasonably know what YQ is and/or how it is calculated? Some airlines charge YQ and others do not. You get the point.

JFKEZE's posting above is very informative and its great to see someone who also has successful experience(s) in Small Claims Court in USA. Just mention the word Discovery and Interrogatory to any corporate counsel, and you will see.
While I understand all this, by saying all this, and for all this thread, it is proof that everyone who booked this price knew. Anyways, good luck. As I said, I have 2 tickets, but I feel TAP will cancel these tickets.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by abrelosojos
While I understand all this, by saying all this, and for all this thread, it is proof that everyone who booked this price knew. Anyways, good luck. As I said, I have 2 tickets, but I feel TAP will cancel these tickets.
Well, there is a precedent from Santa Monica / Los Angeles where a Judge opined that a price of $ 324 Rangoon to Los Angeles First Class/Business Class did not constitute Manifest Error, citing the complexity and non transparency of airline pricing. I live 8 minutes from the Court House and any New York City Lawyer would need to spend at least 1/2 day for each court appearance
Global321 and jona970318 like this.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Mar 5, 2021 at 12:14 pm
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat | United Silver | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | Marriott Titanium | IHG Ambassador
Immediately after booking on Priceline, went to TAP and selected seats. Today, got a Priceline email that the booking changed. Departing flight moved forward a day (similar itinerary). Return reduced a 21 hr overnight LIS layover down to 3hrs. We were happy to enjoy the LIS time, but also glad to get home earlier. Went back to TAP and selected new seats again. All things considered, I'm not complaining.

Highly recommend all keep tabs on their changes as travel nears.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:16 pm

Programs: Delta PLT, IHG Ambassador Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, BWR Diamond
Mine just got canceled. Booked on priceline. still showing on their website but with a warning about changes made by the airline. Unable to pull the reservation on TAP's website (was able to before).
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Well, there is a precedent from Santa Monica / Los Angeles where a Judge opined that a price of $ 324 Rangoon to Los Angeles First Class/Business Class did not constitute Manifest Error, citing the complexity and non transparency of airline pricing. I live 8 minutes from the Court House and any New York City Lawyer would need to spend at least 1/2 day for each court appearance
Just out of curiosity, any chance you have the link to the story/court document? Couldn't seem to find it from a google search

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.