Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] DL: JFK-GRU Business $479

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] DL: JFK-GRU Business $479

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2020, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Utskicat
I was just reading to the Delta fare rules and I found a very interesting phrase:

”...PASSENGER EACH TIME TRAVEL INVOLVES AN ENPLANEMENT ON A NW/DL INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT.”

Since when do DL fare rules still reference Northwest flights?!
This may be a hint as to why DL just released a business fare that was less than the basic economy fare on the same route.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 6:15 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K
Canceled both of my AA and DL reservations. Thank you OP for the fun. I got in on the AM deal 2 years ago from MIA about the same price.
solewalker likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 6:27 pm

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Cancelled DL (booked directly)
Cancelled AA (booked via AmexTravel)
Still keeping the AA with fully refundable fare (booked via AmexTravel), I was about to book the same fully refundable fare (must select advance option with full flex) directly but the fare was gone!
Old Dec 17, 2020, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by gil123
I booked one for late March (on DL so I can't comment on your AA ticket but it sounds like it is nonrefundable too) and then cancelled. Nobody can make that decision (whether it will be safe/worthwhile to go in March with your family) but you, but my thinking was as follows: The situation a few months from now will not necessarily be the same as it is now. On the other hand, Brazil has (along with the US, which is even worse) been among the worst for COVID throughout the pandemic. Moreover, they still don't have a vaccination plan in place and I read that they won't be starting to vaccinate until at least Feb-March, meaning their timeline will be at least 2-3 months behind that in the US. So, since most of us are not in the high priority vaccination group and are still 4-6 months away from getting it, my assumption is that in March I would have been traveling without the vaccine to a country where the vast majority also have not been vaccinated. Might be fine and a calculated risk worth taking but with travel (hopefully) getting substantially easier in the summer and fall, I had trouble justifying to myself travelling internationally sooner just because of a very juicy deal. Damn, though I do wish this had been either a refundable fare or one that ran until EOS.
Same here. Brazil has the 3rd highest COVID infection rate after the US and India, and the fact that anyone can enter without any sort of COVID test or screening process has also given me pause. I'm also not particularly confident about Brazil's health infrastructure, particularly during times like these.

That said, thanks to OP again for posting this heck of a sale! I wish this were a refundable fare as well. Otherwise, I'd totally keep it.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 7:03 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Same here. Brazil has the 3rd highest COVID infection rate after the US and India, and the fact that anyone can enter without any sort of COVID test or screening process has also given me pause. I'm also not particularly confident about Brazil's health infrastructure, particularly during times like these.

That said, thanks to OP again for posting this heck of a sale! I wish this were a refundable fare as well. Otherwise, I'd totally keep it.
I also ended up canceling just now. It really pained me to cancel tickets that, for the four of us, cost less than what we normally pay for one ticket abroad, but it was the right thing to do for us given the reality of covid.

It was nice to fantasize and do research over the last 24 hours, though!
boggs likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 7:07 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hp12c
I also ended up canceling just now. It really pained me to cancel tickets that, for the four of us, cost less than what we normally pay for one ticket abroad, but it was the right thing to do for us given the reality of covid.

It was nice to fantasize and do research over the last 24 hours, though!
I booked one for the wife and I over a 4 day weekend in late April, but she is not game so I cancelled her's tonight. I left mine in place though. I'm an essential worker up here in Canada though its a long shot, there is some possibility that I will be able to get the vaccine by March. If so, I'll do this MR for the MQM's (great deal at 3 cents a mile in J). If not, then I'll convert it to a credit.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 8:06 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Sigh, I saw this pretty early on. If it weren't the times we live in, I'd have jumped on this like the last jelly donut. Guess I can be glad that I did get on the last MIA-GRU fare by AM years ago.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by solewalker
Sigh, I saw this pretty early on. If it weren't the times we live in, I'd have jumped on this like the last jelly donut. Guess I can be glad that I did get on the last MIA-GRU fare by AM years ago.
Same, on both. It would have been a pretty easy reposition for me from BOS, but the COVID environment and uncertain work schedule made this one tough to commit to. That MIA-GRU (flew Jan 2019) was a fun one though! Also snagged the CX Vietnam F special and nested that into the NZ ORD-Australia so I had a busy 2019.
solewalker likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 8:58 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
I sadly canceled my ticket (within 24 hours).
Originally Posted by boggs
Canceled both of my AA and DL reservations. Thank you OP for the fun.
Originally Posted by thanaset
Cancelled DL (booked directly) Cancelled AA (booked via AmexTravel)
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Originally Posted by hp12c
I also ended up canceling just now
Originally Posted by Utskicat
I booked one for the wife and I over a 4 day weekend in late April, but she is not game so I cancelled her's tonight.
I think the right idea would have been to do 4-5 trips with same-day turnarounds. Unfortunately, inventory availability did not facilitate this broadly, and fare rules would have made this complicated.

Miraculously, as of today, lots of I-class inventory has returned to AA NYC-GRU nonstops over the period the fare was offered.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 9:27 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
I think the right idea would have been to do 4-5 trips with same-day turnarounds. Unfortunately, inventory availability did not facilitate this broadly, and fare rules would have made this complicated.

Miraculously, as of today, lots of I-class inventory has returned to AA NYC-GRU nonstops over the period the fare was offered.
It's not miraculous. Half of the seats were snapped up by people on the fare putting speculative holds, which are now expiring or being canceled.
atcanobbio likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer

Does AA (or UA or DL) fly back during the day or is it wait for the redeye back? Seems like a long time to have a plane sit on the ground.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 9:52 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Global321
Does AA (or UA or DL) fly back during the day or is it wait for the redeye back? Seems like a long time to have a plane sit on the ground.
The route since the mid/late 90s has traditionally been red-eye both ways (so, yes the plane sat idle all day in GRU, or made tags to GIG or MVD over various periods in the past).

Pre-covid, JJ (TAM, pre LA merger) has run daylight flights to/from JFK and MIA, and AA has run them to/from MIA, but the premium demand is heavily skewed toward the red-eyes.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA*S A3*G TK *G EY G AA G RJ Gold IHG Spire Amb HH DIamond Marriott Gold BW DIAMOND SELECT
Originally Posted by pertristis
Randomly looked at flights from JFK to GRU and was shocked to see round trip JFK-GRU flights in the new flagship for $479. Looks like there's availability through May. I booked through Delta and the flight went through.
AA matched this, as well
Old Dec 18, 2020, 7:18 am

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
Looks gone now, it's up to $1800. I can't believe this thread only has five posts - truly an amazing fare for the route. Sign of the times I suppose :\

Edit: Oh the other thread has hundreds of posts, makes sense
Old Dec 18, 2020, 8:10 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
From 12/30 a negative PCR test required when entering to Brazil using airplane. Must be taken up to 72 hours before departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.