Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[prem fare gone]: AF La Premiere, Algiers to USA $472.05 one-way

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[prem fare gone]: AF La Premiere, Algiers to USA $472.05 one-way

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2020, 1:11 am

The AF web confirms the Art 10 of the EC261/2004. I booked for Mid-Spetember and my booking stills on F.

https://www.airfrance.fr/FR/en/commo...emnisation.htm
oa424 likes this.

Last edited by Tomas Esperben; Apr 1, 2020 at 1:29 am
Old Apr 1, 2020, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by oa424
Yes, it applies; notwithstanding that CDG may be a transit point, so long as a passenger departs from an EU member state point, the regulations apply:

Regulation (EC) No 261/2004
1. This Regulation shall apply:

(a) to passengers departing from an airport located in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies;
And Algiers (Algeria) is not.

On the other hand, the regulation applies to airlines based in the EU, Switzerland, Norway & Iceland. Air France is operating the flight and so it's bound by the regulation.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 1:57 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
The flights to the US depart from CDG. Even if the flights were operated by DL, this would still apply.
oa424 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 2:04 am

This is the same airline that just decided they're not going to follow EU261 for refunds of canceled flights, so I doubt any EU261 claims over involuntary downgrades will be honored.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 2:07 am

Programs: A3 *Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Travel-Quinten
And Algiers (Algeria) is not.

On the other hand, the regulation applies to airlines based in the EU, Switzerland, Norway & Iceland. Air France is operating the flight and so it's bound by the regulation.
While Algiers is not, the CDG-USA segment clearly triggers this article, even if the operating carrier was not an EU based one.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 2:25 am

Programs: A3 *Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Zwiebelbauer
This is the same airline that just decided they're not going to follow EU261 for refunds of canceled flights, so I doubt any EU261 claims over involuntary downgrades will be honored.
In a force majeure type situation like COVID-19 where the French government is backing a voucher form of credit as opposed to a refund this may be true. But, this fare is likely outside the purview of any such consideration -- timing wise and by the fact that the issue is a downgrade of class of service and not a cancelled flight due to an unexpected situation that was outside the airline's control. Even if AF refuses to hand out compensation it is something actionable.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 2:39 am

Programs: Alaska
Just received an email from Air France, downgraded to business. Trip in October, route: ALG-CDG-LAX-PDX.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 2:48 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I called Air France USA and they said on the phone that they are completely honoring these.

Spoiler

king1983 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 3:25 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Zwiebelbauer
It was clear to those who knew about this deal, that it was an error fare. As such, one cannot be surprised that the tickets have been downgraded - it is currently selling for $8,000.

Now before anyone tries to jump on me, a select few people knew about these flights for 3 weeks before it showed up on FT and blogs. Sure enough, within a few days of people mass-booking, the flights are amended for all.

The more experienced of us, accept that sometimes error fares work in our favour, and sometimes they don't. In this occasion, it hasn't.

This may sound pedantic and condescending, but that's not the intent. It is simply a reminder that airlines aren't stupid.

Most major airlines have FT representatives, on top of their own internal revenue management teams. When they see a sudden spike in a routing, they investigate; unlike the FT presumption that somebody called up and asked to change their seats, and that's how the airline found out.

For those claiming EU261, good luck. To those still flying in J, enjoy.

To those calling a spade a spade, wait patiently and another fare will be along soon.

M
newflyer530 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 3:55 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Doesn't hurt to try a 261/2004 downgrade claim, which would be around -$375. Now THAT would be one of the cheapest biz class fares in history of FT

I would NOT try to do the downgrade complaint now. There's a risk that it'll get mangled in with the COVID-19 refund issue, but do it AFTER you fly. This way AF won't cancel the ticket on you at the last minute.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Palal
Doesn't hurt to try a 261/2004 downgrade claim, which would be around -$375. Now THAT would be one of the cheapest biz class fares in history of FT

I would NOT try to do the downgrade complaint now. There's a risk that it'll get mangled in with the COVID-19 refund issue, but do it AFTER you fly. This way AF won't cancel the ticket on you at the last minute.
Not even close. People who call it super-cheap apparently haven't been around when AA sold (and allowed to fly the majority of) round-trip tickets from Brasil / Chile via US to just anywhere in the world in F for less than 200 EUR. THAT was a deal.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 4:54 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
They just downgraded the first of my tickets (November). Rebooked into D class, not Z.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 5:10 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
They just downgraded the first of my tickets (November). Rebooked into D class, not Z.
my ticket was first rebooked in J without delta leg, then further rebooked in Z after including delta leg.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 5:13 am

Programs: TK Elite, FB Gold
Also downgraded for my November flight - J for the intra-EU AF flight and for the intra-US flight, Z for the former La Premiere leg.

Not a great deal so will ask for a refund. I imagine that's what everyone else here will be doing?
Old Apr 1, 2020, 5:17 am
fsc

Both of my reservations (both for November) were just rebooked, to Z and I, respectively.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.