Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Maestro Ramen
FARE RULES:
I pulled down the DL fare rules (these are BUD-SEA but they all appeared nearly identical). I posted them on a share. We can easily grab the AF and KL variants if others need those.

Q: This is a fully flexible fare with free changes. Does that mean I can change the flight dates as I want without paying anything extra?
A: No. The airline simply doesn't charge a change fee. But depending on the fare rules, you will still need to pay the difference to the new price.

Q: But I read that some people could change their flights for free...?
A: The rules for this fare (linked to above) specify that historical pricing shall be used if either at least one flight from the ticket has been taken or the outbound remains the same. In other words, in order to be able to change your flights for free, you must have flown at least one flight from your booking. Otherwise, you can only change the inbound. The outbound has to remain the same or you will be charged the fare difference.

Q: Can I change the rest of the itinerary after flying the first segment without any other charges or additional fare differences?
A: Yes this is possible according to the fare rules where after completing the first segment, you can change the rest of the flights for free (with the condition that the same fare class is available- I-class - in this case. According to the fare rules, after flying the FIRST segment (in the case here BUD-XXX) the historical fare is used. Possible to use the first stopover at AMS or CDG (see post #830).

Q: But some people could change their outbound flights for free!
A: They got lucky. It was probably a bug on the website/in the app. When no flight from the ticket has been flown, the fare rules do not allow changing the outbound without repricing.

Q: Ok, ok, so I can only change the inbound for free. How do I do that?
A: You search for availability for alternative flights on ITA Matrix using "F ..I2FFHU" in the extension codes. You must search for round trip flights as this is a round trip fare. Then you ignore the outbound result (as long as you haven't flown at least one flight from your ticket) and just try to rebook your inbound on the website/app.

Q: I have found availability on ITA Matrix, but the app/website doesn't show me those flights!
A: Keep trying. Sometimes you may have to serach in a different way (split up the searches, e.g. HNL-LAX and LAX-BUD), sometimes you just have to repeat the search several times. But that's no guarantee the desired results will turn up (and without repricing).

Q: It doesn't work. Can I just call the airline to make the changes?
A: Please don't unless you need to. Calling can increase the risk for all of us that they'll change their mind and disallow all further changes, or simply cancel everyone's tickets. However, as this fare has now been running for months and has seen many calls made about it, it is reasonable to expect that calling will not cause issues at this stage. As best practice, avoid attracting attention on the low price paid, and avoid making additional demands or tempting your luck. Remember you get to fly a J ticket for the cost of a Y fare.

Q: How many times can I make changes?
A: In theory, as often as you like, but you can't make more than two changes online/in the app. After that, you'd have to call, which we are trying to avoid.

Q: I've changed my mind. Can I get a refund?
A: Yes, the fare was fully refundable. Just contact the airline or fill out a refund form online.

Q: Due to Coronavirus, I need to extend my travel plan beyond the original expiry date. What can I do?
A: For Delta tickets (starting with 006) you can travel at any point until December 2022. Changes to flights within a 10 month window can be done at any point on the app, following the rules above. If you want to fly later than 10 months from now, you can call Delta and ask them to "park" your ticket. You will receive a ticket number that ties to an eCredit which can be used later to buy tickets. As long as you keep the original itinerary, or if you have flown at least a segment, you will not be charged a fare difference. Bear in mind that the eCredit may only be refundable if your original flight was cancelled (which is very likely in those day and times). Note that only Delta in the US are able to do this so do not call the EU numbers (use Skype to save money on international calls). According to user feedback: iMessage agents seem to also be able to do this, but twitter agents not.
Print Wikipost

{prem fare gone}: AF/KL/DL/VS: BUD-US from $750 R/T

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2022, 11:33 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite Plus, SQ Gold, BA Gold, VS Gold, Globalist, HH Diamond
Had a quite long chat with DL yesterday to have my open tickets reinstated. At first the agent just wanted to apply the paid fare as ecredit to a new booking. After complaining she involved a supervisor who gave his Go for rebooking. Had to be the same routing and fare bucket but she booked me exactly on the flights I wanted and picked earlier using EF to find I fare bucket.
Best about it: They allowed not the very original routing but that after the first involuntary rebooking where I could change the origin to MUC. Very happy now with the selected planes and new dates. Thx to DL!
canadavid and fridgy like this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 1:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Le ClubAccor Gold
Very nice !

10 days to go before starting my second ticket to YVR !
Old Apr 6, 2022, 7:51 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Alaska MVP Gold
Managed to rebook through iMessage. Waiting times are extremely long, but other than that it was easy enough. Make sure you tell the first agent you make a class-to-class rebooking using a ticket parked under bulletin 6, using fare waiver code B3Z8F. This connected me to a competent ticketing agent every time.
The agents were helpful looking into possible options, and they saw options I couldn't find with ITA, EF or the DL website. They also made sure everything was booked under DL codeshare (more miles for FB). Quite happy with the experience, especially after some stories in this topic!
Old May 2, 2022, 7:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by FrankTalk
This is more or less correct, the actual rule is KL/AF/DL metal DL code or DL metal DL/KL/AF code if memory serves (pro.delta is not loading right now for some reason, can't check). Sometimes they do make an exception and let you use AF/AF and such but even they need to get a waiver for that. However there's a workaround: have your ff number scrubbed from the res and retro claim in FB with the appropriate flight number.

Tell them to quote you the text from bulletin 6 "book by", and ask them to go to the website where the bulletin clearly states "book by 31 Dec 2022". What has expired is the domestic bulletin 6, sometimes they confuse the two. Alternatively give them the waiver code (B3Z8F) and tell them to look it up by that.
Tell them to quote you the text from bulletin 6 "book by", and ask them to go to the website where the bulletin clearly states "book by 31 Dec 2022".

I am a bit confused now - my parked ticket on "My Wallet" now shows the new expiration date as 12/31/2023. According to the statement above, may I book the ticket in Dec. 2022 and travel in 2023 summer?
Old May 2, 2022, 8:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by lewende
Tell them to quote you the text from bulletin 6 "book by", and ask them to go to the website where the bulletin clearly states "book by 31 Dec 2022".

I am a bit confused now - my parked ticket on "My Wallet" now shows the new expiration date as 12/31/2023. According to the statement above, may I book the ticket in Dec. 2022 and travel in 2023 summer?
No. The credit has been extended - ie you won’t lose the money - but bulletin 6 hasn’t so to rebook the trip you need to complete travel this year.
lewende likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:25 pm

Positioning flight

This is only tangentially related to this deal but will take advice from experienced people.

My trip on this deal starts on Jul/11. The first flight is on AF 1295. I had booked a cheap positioning flight from ORY to BUD for the previous night but they have cancelled the flight and now I have to rebook a new positioning flight. I checked and AF 1294 from CDG-BUD turns around and becomes AF 1295 (on flight radar24.) I am thinking of booking the positioning flight on Jul/11 and turn around on the same plane. Does anyone see a problem with this? Can I check for AF 1295 in CDG itself so I do not even need to leave the gate area? TIA

Last edited by sarpotd; May 7, 2022 at 3:17 am
Old May 9, 2022, 12:44 am

Was on the phone for over 2 hours trying to reinstate my parked ticket. The call was escalated to a supervisor who initially claimed tickets falling under bulletin 6 had expired December 31, 2021. I read the bulletin to the supervisor where it says expiration was December 31, 2022. The call was transferred to another agent who finally agreed that the expiration was December 31, 2022 but the new routing had to follow exactly the original routing and I inventory was not available on Air France or KLM on the dates I wanted. Since the rules allowed unlimited stopovers I asked him to move the BUD-AMS and CDG-BUD segements a day or two ahead and then partner I inventory appeared and ticket was reissued.
Old May 9, 2022, 6:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
sarpotd

I personally have never done a same plane turnaround so I cannot recommend it, that said arrivals at BUD feed straight into the mail hall and it's a small airport, so it should be possible to achieve as long as you have your boarding pass already. When I travelled in Dec/Jan they would refuse to issue boarding passes from BUD due to covid checks so you had to check in in person. One of the many reasons why I personally wouldn't risk it, but I know some FTers would.

Otherwise the IBIS hotel at BUD is literally across the road from in between the terminals, and the city is close enough to make it worth touring for an evening.
Old May 9, 2022, 6:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by sarpotd
This is only tangentially related to this deal but will take advice from experienced people.

My trip on this deal starts on Jul/11. The first flight is on AF 1295. I had booked a cheap positioning flight from ORY to BUD for the previous night but they have cancelled the flight and now I have to rebook a new positioning flight. I checked and AF 1294 from CDG-BUD turns around and becomes AF 1295 (on flight radar24.) I am thinking of booking the positioning flight on Jul/11 and turn around on the same plane. Does anyone see a problem with this? Can I check for AF 1295 in CDG itself so I do not even need to leave the gate area? TIA
I did a same plane turn on KLM from Amsterdam - but we pulled up at the next gate to the AF plane so there should be no problem with it physically, as you'll just be straight at the gate. I did have to get the check-in desk at AMS to issue the boarding pass for the return leg though, as the KLM aopop/website wouldn't do it. I think that's probably down to citizenship/residency as this was after the end of Covid checks on BUD-AMS, but the agent didn't actually check anything in order to issue the BP. Whether the same would hold for AF I don't know, but it's quite likely the CDG check-in or lounge agents can get you the BP if no digital version is given.
Old May 12, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+ / Hertz PC / Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by danfl44
Managed to rebook through iMessage. Waiting times are extremely long, but other than that it was easy enough. Make sure you tell the first agent you make a class-to-class rebooking using a ticket parked under bulletin 6, using fare waiver code B3Z8F. This connected me to a competent ticketing agent every time.
The agents were helpful looking into possible options, and they saw options I couldn't find with ITA, EF or the DL website. They also made sure everything was booked under DL codeshare (more miles for FB). Quite happy with the experience, especially after some stories in this topic!
Thank you for this. Took me several HUCAs before I could get this to work and find someone who knew about Bulletins, but now have the following confirmed and ticketed:

Day 1) BUD-CDG-AMS
Day 2) AMS-IAH
Day 3) BNA-ATL-SJU
Day 4) SJU-ATL-IAD
Day 5) IAD-CDG-AMS
Day 6) AMS-BUD.

Finally happening!
kyushuman and Maestro Ramen like this.

Last edited by XyberBorg; May 16, 2022 at 4:56 am
Old May 17, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Getting these tickets unparked has been really frustrating, the agents are all completely clueless. Probably all newly hired.

Which booking class has to be available? Is it only I or also J?

Last edited by ChocolateFactory; May 18, 2022 at 4:13 pm
Old May 18, 2022, 4:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Found out we need I class inventory. Unfortunately it's been really difficult to get reroute them. Some agents say the routing has to remain the same. Others said rerouting is fine, but origin/destination can't be changed.
I booked a flight to LIH and I really don't want to spend 6 hours in a regular seat, let alone for a redeye flight. There's availability on LIH-HNL, but the agent said they can't book HA codeshare flights under the waiver.

Does anybody know about any other waiver code that would give the agents a bit more leeway? Is there a trick to get a more flexible agent?
I had such an amazing agent who was really helpful, but then the chat was disconnected. And since then, it's been extremely difficult...
Old May 18, 2022, 6:26 pm

Both times I unparked my two tickets, the agents have required that I maintain the same exact routing as original ticket. Maybe you can try changing the routing after flying the first leg?
Old May 19, 2022, 2:24 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+ / Hertz PC / Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Found out we need I class inventory. Unfortunately it's been really difficult to get reroute them. Some agents say the routing has to remain the same. Others said rerouting is fine, but origin/destination can't be changed.
I booked a flight to LIH and I really don't want to spend 6 hours in a regular seat, let alone for a redeye flight. There's availability on LIH-HNL, but the agent said they can't book HA codeshare flights under the waiver.

Does anybody know about any other waiver code that would give the agents a bit more leeway? Is there a trick to get a more flexible agent?
I had such an amazing agent who was really helpful, but then the chat was disconnected. And since then, it's been extremely difficult...
Bulletin 6 specifically addresses these issues you mention. Since the new travel originates Jan 1, 2021 through Dec 31, 2022 only class to class rebooking is allowed. If not available, a new class can be seelcted but in that case the fare difference is to be collected. Suggest to use expertflyer to look for flights with enough "i" inventory and build your new itinerary before you call the agent.

You could always ask an agent to rebook you cabin to cabin using waiver code N9R8H - but officially it's not allowed. In any case, they'll only let you rebook on DL/KL/AF flights.
Old May 19, 2022, 2:28 am

I have found I class inventory. The issue is that I lost the flexible agent (allowing me to switch out my HNL/LIH open-jaw ticket for HNL/HNL) - new agents tell me I have to keep HNL/LIH, some even tell me I have to keep the routing...
I could fly LIH-HNL on HA, but they say they can't book HA under the waiver...

Thank you for the new waiver code, I hope that will be useful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.