FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   Saudia | ATH - Various Asia | Business RT from €700 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/1997325-saudia-ath-various-asia-business-rt-700-a.html)

unusualtravelblog May 4, 2022 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by JFSV (Post 34220798)
I am tempted too given the price, but I would be travellng with my wife and 2yo daughter. I presume that transiting (landside) snd spending the night at some airport hotel should be ok.

You can Google for reviews of the new lounge in Jeddah. There's a small kids playroom and also "nap" rooms if you want to rest a bit.

JFSV May 5, 2022 12:58 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 34221499)
You can stay airside for up tp 12 hours. I've no idea if the regulation is enforced, if Saudia will insist on evidence of a visa for longer transfers. Although the lounge is fine, a long stay airside wouldn't be much fun for a family.

eVisa is quite straightforward online at £100+ a pop. I've no idea if the visa on arrival has surfaced again - but Saudi can advise you on that. Jeddah's OK for a stay, but it's not geared for tourism (apart from umrah and haj): there's a Holiday Inn close to the airport, and some (probably cheaper) non-chain local establishments.

With visa and hotel costs, plus whatever additional expenditure is required for positioning to Athens, I'm not sure this is a family-friendly and pocket-friendly route.

Thanks a lot, these were the kind of thoughts I had, tbh.

Maestro Ramen May 5, 2022 3:16 am

Hi all,

I'm sorry for the stupid question, but as I've not travelled with a dry airline before, are you able to at least get "one for the road" in the lounges at ATH/KUL/MNL etc... before departure or do they use a special dry lounge too :D

JFSV May 5, 2022 3:58 am

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen (Post 34222775)
Hi all,

I'm sorry for the stupid question, but as I've not travelled with a dry airline before, are you able to at least get "one for the road" in the lounges at ATH/KUL/MNL etc... before departure or do they use a special dry lounge too :D

I have not been to Saudi Arabia, but from what I have read, there seems to be an absolute prohibition on alcohol, so I would not risk it... :)

thogui19 May 5, 2022 4:19 am

Originally Posted by JFSV (Post 34222818)
I have not been to Saudi Arabia, but from what I have read, there seems to be an absolute prohibition on alcohol, so I would not risk it... :)

You can of course drink alcohol in ATH lounge, it's Greece not Saudi Arabia. Of course if you pop up at the gate drunk you might have some troubles but it's nowhere prohibited to drink alcohol before a Saudia flight in a third country.

mlqsko May 5, 2022 4:40 am

Originally Posted by thogui19 (Post 34222848)
You can of course drink alcohol in ATH lounge, it's Greece not Saudi Arabia. Of course if you pop up at the gate drunk you might have some troubles but it's nowhere prohibited to drink alcohol before a Saudia flight in a third country.

Saudia crews are too busy smoking to police what you got in your water bottle/plastic flask/etc.

denkigroove May 5, 2022 4:52 am

It seems a big issue for a lot of people to survive a flight without alcohol:eek:

Maestro Ramen May 5, 2022 5:17 am

Ahah I was only thinking of drinking a few in the lounge before boarding. Don't think I'm that far gone to need to pour some whiskey in a coke bottle like we used to do in high school :p but it's good to know that it would probably go down okay on the flight.

Would not risk bringing anything into JED.

Worked out the math and unfortunately as ATH-JED counts as med haul, this would earn substantially less XP/$ than a KRK run, but the prospect of visiting JED/SE Asia would make for slightly more exciting experience.

Maestro Ramen May 5, 2022 6:18 am

Originally Posted by denkigroove (Post 34222897)
It seems a big issue for a lot of people to survive a flight without alcohol:eek:

Hyperbole much? All I was asking is whether the lounges are dry as well, otherwise Id look into going in a priority pass lounge instead.

I happen to only be an occasional drinker but I do enjoy drinking before and during flights. It would be good to be able to ask questions about what brand of champagne airlines serve etc.. without always having some well intentioned FTer refer you to alcoholics anonymous 🙄

Maestro Ramen May 5, 2022 6:27 am

... but since I'm already on the radar of the sobriety squad, might as well also ask whether it would be a problem to transit JED with alcohol:

-In checked luggage (checked to final dest)?
-In sealed duty free bag that I don't open?

Thanks to all for imput on previous question.

IAN-UK May 5, 2022 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen (Post 34223053)
Hyperbole much?

I think the point is you are referencing the totally dry national carrier of a completely dry country. It's not an aberration, or a gentle discouragement. There is no booze, and no toleration of it.

For many, maybe most, of Saudia's passengers, that is a positive.

You can drink to your heart's content in the Skyteam lounge at Athens. but it would be reckless, and offensive, to carry drink on board. i have no idea if you can carry bottles in checked baggage: but why bother - surely you have the wherewithal to purchase it in your destination?

mlqsko May 5, 2022 6:45 am

Originally Posted by denkigroove (Post 34222897)

Your valuable input and tremendous contribution to this thread is greatly appreciated.

Maestro Ramen May 5, 2022 8:29 am

Nobody is trying to smuggle a bottle of Smirnoff into a country where we know well it's forbidden...

I was wondering whether I can bring back local alcohol from SE asia as a souvenir, legally in sealed luggage. If the answer is no I'll be able to survive, but the knowledge itself would be quite useful.

denkigroove May 5, 2022 8:59 am

Originally Posted by mlqsko (Post 34223117)
Your valuable input and tremendous contribution to this thread is greatly appreciated.

You‘re welcome:) What I want to say is that in every thread about the very cheap SV fares to SOA are comments like „dry airline - never with me“ etc. So this means it seems to be important for some.
btt: The fares are good but when someone from Western Europe calculates the flight to/from ATH, maybe an overnight stay there, the long transit times in RUH/JED and (for me) the wrong Alliance then I personally choose another carrier.

denkigroove May 5, 2022 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen (Post 34223398)
Nobody is trying to smuggle a bottle of Smirnoff into a country where we know well it's forbidden...

I was wondering whether I can bring back local alcohol from SE asia as a souvenir, legally in sealed luggage. If the answer is no I'll be able to survive, but the knowledge itself would be quite useful.

Of course this is possible in your luggage. If you buy it at the duty free and take it into the cabin you can also ask the crew for ice if you build your own drink. Friends of me did this on Egyptair several times.