Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Saudia | ATH - Various Asia | Business RT from €700

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Saudia | ATH - Various Asia | Business RT from €700

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 4:39 am

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by Mad Oh
If you are male, sure.
I feel the need to chip in here. Visited Saudi Arabia with my wife and two young children (ages 1 and 4), both the north and the south. My wife and I felt completely safe and welcome.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:27 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Nico40
Anyway you'll end into a not busy security check. A further escalator and you're landing at departures level of T1. The lounge entrance is just there on the left but I was denied access and told to use the one in South terminal after the bus transfer. And that's where things are turning interesting : nobody really knows were the shuttle bus leaves from (at some point I was told my connecting flight didn't exist). Go gate 26 the lounge dragon said... See gate 30 another guy told... 15 min after a couple of frantic phone calls (to a dispatcher) a bus appeared. 15 more minutes and you're left at a gate of south terminal (gate 10 or so, anyway there were pax making the opposite journey).
This is similar to, if slightly more chaotic than, my experience a couple weeks ago. I'm scratching my head why SV, seeing that they have a beautiful and empty lounge at T1, wouldn't come up with the simple solution of keeping T1 arriving passengers at T1 until 11pm-midnight, and then having a couple of scheduled buses departing from a dedicated gate. Maybe even hand out flyers or signpost where/when to go? Or at least prepare the lounge personnel with the information? You'd think even an intern could come up with this idea, but apparently they really want to make sure that we get the bargain-basement experience we paid for (at least on the ground, my flights were all top notch).
kyushuman and Sisyphus1carus like this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:11 am

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum Ultimate, VA Velocity Platinum, ALL Platinum
On some days CGK seems to get a 773 with lie-flat (same seat as A320). Its not all aisle access but it makes this deal even sweeter.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Digicola
On some days CGK seems to get a 773 with lie-flat (same seat as A320). Its not all aisle access but it makes this deal even sweeter.
aren’t all of them lieflats?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: BA GGL IHG PlatAMB HH Dia
Originally Posted by Fli1
aren’t all of them lieflats?
No, only the retrofitted.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 10:23 am

Programs: Flying Blue (plat), Eurobonus (gold), Accor (plat), Bonvoy (plat)
Originally Posted by mattspod
So take the right corridor at the end of jet bridge and then goto 30 and ask the person at the gate to call the bus if it looks dead?
Exactly. Following the signs leads you to security and then you're in the T1 departure area at the upper level. Gate 30 is a bus gate.

What was the lounge experience at south terminal?
Not too bad honestly. The lounge isn't huge but sofas are comfortable and contrarily to what I expected it didn't get crowded at around midnight (despite the bank of departures at 1-2 am) and that's definitely much more enjoyable than the departure lounge which is a zoo. I have to say that the lounge restrooms are well maintained (facilities are intensively used but there is someone looking after all the time, not the case in T1 lounge) and I could enjoy a visit of "the" shower room - simple and tiny but always useful.
By the way, mind you : the new lounge at T1 simply has no shower. There's something looking like a stockade so perhaps it is planned to open one at some point in the future ? "Inch'Allah" the dragon answered me.
palmanfr, raporot and mattspod like this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
Anyone else had his Athens Riad flight cancelled? Seems its. It seems not flying anymore that day.

call Saudia? As this is not really and error fare should be allright to call?
Old Jan 29, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Prιsidentielle
Yes, the timetable has changed and thus RUH-ATH-RUH has been narrowed down. You'll need to call and confirm, if the proposed changes are okay.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:28 pm

So it’s nearly the end of January...

any signs of the Asia flights being moved to new JED yet?
Old Jan 30, 2020, 4:29 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by sp333
So it’s nearly the end of January...

any signs of the Asia flights being moved to new JED yet?
Nothing yet as of today - just came of the KL flight, departing as usually from the south terminal.

Saudia has by the way greatly improved their soft product compared to the last flights I took of them a year or so ago. A proper 'chef' on board in the same style as Turkish Airlines, improved food (which already was good to begin with) and some nice non-alcoholic cocktails (Bellini) and selection of teas, as well as proper espresso.

Even more important, I thought that the cabin crew were all going through great lengths to welcome you on board, thank you for flying Saudia etc. They were also constantly checking on you if you want anything. Heck, even the Arab male senior purser on both flights were truly amazing, hard working, warm and eager to have a chat. Before they were the most arrogant, bossiest and laziest of people on board. Is this the same Saudia which I flew in the last few years? What an absolute steal for 350 EUR one-way.
jpdx, jonapet89, palmanfr and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
Nothing yet as of today - just came of the KL flight, departing as usually from the south terminal.

Saudia has by the way greatly improved their soft product compared to the last flights I took of them a year or so ago. A proper 'chef' on board in the same style as Turkish Airlines, improved food (which already was good to begin with) and some nice non-alcoholic cocktails (Bellini) and selection of teas, as well as proper espresso.

Even more important, I thought that the cabin crew were all going through great lengths to welcome you on board, thank you for flying Saudia etc. They were also constantly checking on you if you want anything. Heck, even the Arab male senior purser on both flights were truly amazing, hard working, warm and eager to have a chat. Before they were the most arrogant, bossiest and laziest of people on board. Is this the same Saudia which I flew in the last few years? What an absolute steal for 350 EUR one-way.

So glad to hear that. I couldn’t resist and have booked one for every second months into next year for Flying blue status and loads of miles to go on KLM’s monthly redemption discounts.

Especially the bit about mocktails... was dreading Coke Zero and plain juice for the year!
Old Jan 30, 2020, 7:18 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Don't forget to watch the crowd in ATH - as many others in business class are properly connecting on similar flights having booked the same deal. The five or six hours layover in JED went by unexpectedly fast after another passenger turned out to be a Flyertalk member - which always makes for some good fun sharing travel and flight stories. Another passenger bound from ATH to KUL (who as far as I know isn't on Flyertalk but accidentally found the deal as he had to go to KUL in the first place) turned out to be a great conversation partner as well for the time spent waiting in Jeddah for the transit bus to the south terminal. There is always some form of camaraderie having booked the same unusual deal and transiting through the same third world facility which is JED's south terminal.

PS. It was written before that the transit bus at JED departs gate from gate 30 at the new terminal, but there are actually four gate 30s! There is 30a, 30b, 30c and 30d.. in our case the transit but left from 30c. Just approach a member of staff as soon as you arrive. Unfortunately I did not manage to get into the new lounge as we were flat out refused and told we needed to go to the south terminal. Even a quick peek was out of the question!
Old Jan 30, 2020, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
Don't forget to watch the crowd in ATH - as many others in business class are properly connecting on similar flights having booked the same deal. The five or six hours layover in JED went by unexpectedly fast after another passenger turned out to be a Flyertalk member - which always makes for some good fun sharing travel and flight stories.
Perhaps we should set up a travel list of FT members like on another recent thread I can’t remember?
AurelAF96 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 1:20 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinium; All Gold, A3 Gold, Safar Flyer Gold (OW Sapphire)
Originally Posted by sp333
Perhaps we should set up a travel list of FT members like on another recent thread I can’t remember?
It's on the MR deal AUH/DXB-CMB on UL
Old Jan 31, 2020, 1:55 pm

Dont think it's been mentioned before here, but it also works to JNB either one-way at 640$ or r/t as a open jaw with the inbound flight to IST at 1180$

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.