Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help needed! New mileage runner.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help needed! New mileage runner.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2019, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Smile Help needed! New mileage runner.

Hey all, I'm new around here and mileage running in general. The though complete captivates me, so I'm coming here for some guidance
I've attached some basic information. At the end of the day, my goal is to get Star Alliance Gold (or one world Sapphire) in as few trips (and cheaply) as possible. I don't expect to get this all in one trip but if I can knock out a very healthy chunk of it, I can probably get the rest of the way with the traveling I do regularly.

I currently have no status and rudimentary understanding of how all this works. Guidance on whether to go for oneworld/Star Alliance would also be greatly appreciated.
It's all about that speedy bag checking and lounge access !

All help is greatly appreciated!

Departure Airport: West Coast: LAX/SNA/LGB (Maybe SFO but would prefer not to unless it is part of the mileage run).
Miles Needed: Unsure
Budget: $2,000-$2500 (flexible)
Available Travel Dates: Really anything that has a 1-2 day turnaround without needing a visa. Ideally, during the weekends.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Aegean Miles+Bonus (I currently have a free account, I heard that Aegean is the way to go for Star Alliance, but if you think I should open an account elsewhere, let me know)
Old Nov 18, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
How many miles do you already have? What program are you looking to get the status? If you live in the US and are wanting domestic upgrades, Aegean is not the way to go. if you are mostly interested in lounge access when flying overseas, it's different.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

I've been really terrible with tracking so as of right now, none. I am flexible to which program. Whichever one is easier, I suppose. I'm not too concerned about upgrades; especially flying domestically. I used to have Premier 1K status on United (2016) and the perks were phenomenal. Chiefly the ones I gained from Star Alliance Gold. I could care less about being bumped to business for a 4 hour stint before a trans-continental flight. Aegean was what first came to mind because of their low mileage requirements. I don't think getting Gold on United is really feasible for me.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 12:23 am

Programs: HH Diamond, OZ Club Diamond, *A Gold, QFF Gold, BAEC Gold, OW Emerald
I'm a fan of Asiana (OZ) Club and status is good for two years. So if you take an entire year to achieve Star Alliance Gold, then you still have 2 whole years of status which I think is pretty killer. Also, their mileage needed is comparable with other programs such as Agean. I ended up getting Star Alliance Gold last year fairly easily by watching for biz sales. I enjoy getting domestic lounge access when flying United and the other *Alliance benefits are decent as well--like you said. Domestic upgrades don't mean much to me either and that's why I see better value in the OZ program for folks who may not fly enough to achieve elite status with United. Finally, I find OZ miles to be quite valuable concerning their generous (if annoying to use) award chart.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Wow OZ looks unbelievable. I'm surprised there's so little hype a round it. As I'm based in Los Angeles, I feel like a few Biz Asiana flights should get me there. Does anyone have a price estimate/day estimate?

Last edited by treykee; Nov 19, 2019 at 10:42 am Reason: Forgot my question
Old Nov 20, 2019, 3:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond, OZ Club Diamond, *A Gold, QFF Gold, BAEC Gold, OW Emerald
Originally Posted by treykee
Wow OZ looks unbelievable. I'm surprised there's so little hype a round it. As I'm based in Los Angeles, I feel like a few Biz Asiana flights should get me there. Does anyone have a price estimate/day estimate?
I don't have an estimate since I have never actually flown on OZ metal. ;-) I got OZ Club Diamond/ * Alliance Gold by flying Singapore Airlines BIZ roundtrip from Ahmedabad, India -> SIN -> EWR. This flight alone got me over 75% of the way to my goal. I paid USD $1,800 in total for those tickets. Then I just flew some cheap United (K) fares to get me the rest of the way there. Not sure if those SQ prices out of India are still similar or not. A visa is needed, of course, and so that puts a damper on some fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.