Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:29 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond

In order to organize the end-of-year crush of Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread for the airlines with the most frequent requests. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request, please include the following information in this thread:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay:

For each response. Please quote the original request.

On behalf to the Mileage Run Moderator team, I would like to express our thanks to the many FlyerTalkers who have risen to the challenge and helped so many members with their helpful suggestions.

These consolidates threads made managing the year end traffic much smoother.

Hopefully, all were successful with their runs.

Pat89339 on behalf of the Mileage Run Moderator team
CFM3RD likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Iberia Oro
Hello since this thread is mostly dominated by AA or people who are based in the US requests i really hope someone can help me with my Iberia run to requalify for ORO Status(Gold).

I have to gain the points till end of march so i still have some time left.

Departure Airport(s): DUS , CGN
Elite Points Needed: 490
Max Budget: 250€ (250-300$) can be more when Avios gain is good
Available Travel Dates: im really flexible starting end of january if its a day run only. If not i have to do it on the weekends.
Max # Travel Nights: max. 2
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners okay (but i think flying on Iberia gives more Elite points)
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat Hyatt Diamond Marriot Plat elite Hilton DIamond and IHG Plat
Hello All:
I qualified for Gold this past December for all of 2019, but figure it is never too early to start this year for next year's status. That said, looking for help on this run.
Departure Airport: PHL, BWI or even MDT I want to eventually end up in SJU on Feb 28 or Mar 1
Miles Needed: At least 6000
Required Spend or Budget: $1000
Available Travel Dates: Feb26-Mar2
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Not sure, since I am doing this for the EQMs and EQDs, how do those rules work?
Thanks for all your help!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SAS Gold (butt in seat)
Hello,

as I need about 40k Points on AY, and the Deli-Run will not work any more during summer, I'd be thankful for some suggestions according this scheme:

Departure Airport(s): FRA, NUE, STR
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed: 40k Tier Points on AY
Max Budget: 1500 EUR/USD
Available Travel Dates: June 8th or June 7th afternoon
Max # Travel Nights: 2 resp. 3 (must return on 10th by night or morning of 11th June)
AA only, or Partners Okay: NO AA base eco fare, as this will not acquire enough points on AY.
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): na

Thanks a lot!
Carotthat
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:40 pm

I need 20k MQMs and $2400 MQD's before May. I'm hoping to take advantage of some codeshare deals so the actual spend can be much less than $2,400.

Departure Airport: DTW, ORD
Miles Needed: 20k
Required Spend or Budget: Up to $1k for the MQMs and MQDs (ish)
Available Travel Dates: Fri-Sun anytime after Feb 24
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: British Airways, Finnair, Iberia and Japan Airlines

I usually only fly Delta so an very unfamiliar with American codeshare routes.

Thank you!
1person likes this.

Last edited by allenpa5; Jan 8, 2019 at 6:46 pm
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:11 pm

SNA to SJC challenge

So Here is my challenge

Departure Airport: SNA
Arrival Airport: SJC
Travel Dates: Departure Feb 4th(must arrive in SJC that evening)
Return Feb 7th(must arrive in SNA that evening).
No restrictions on departure time on the 4th.
Can not depart SJC before 10 a.m. on the 7th
Budget: Less than $1000, I am trying to get it closer to $500 to approximately match the costs of a business select faire direct from SNA to SJC on SWA. The $500 I think is going to be impossible.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:49 am

AA Mileage Run Ideas/Help From RIC/DCA/IAD/BWI

Departure Airport: RIC, DCA, IAD, BWI (PHL)
Miles Needed: 12,500
Required Spend or Budget: $1500
Available Travel Dates: Primarily weekends through May 15
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA (codeshares OK I think)

Offered the Plat challenge - need to achieve goal by May 15 but already have 2 non-AA trips planned between now and 5/15.

I've been looking at same day runs DCA-CLT-SAN-CLT-DCA at ~$200 RT (~.04 /mile) Is there a good way to search out MRs? Or just hunt and peck adding airports?

Thank you in advance for your time and help.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Departure Airport(s): OMA (preferred), MCI, DSM, GRI as secondary options
EQMs or EQSs 20,000 for Plat Pro
EQDs Needed: 2400 for Plat Pro
Max Budget: not limitless, trying to keep it as economical as possible
Available Travel Dates: preference of anytime between march 9-17 but could look at April and early May
Max # Travel Nights: 7
AA only, or Partners Okay:AA, British Air, Iberia and Japan Airlines are ok

Would love to achieve this in one flight. Current Plat Pro until May 15
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, One World Sapph, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Ambassador, TR Diamond,
Smile Platinum Pro Status Challenge

Hello, I received a Platinum Pro Status Challenge. I need 20k MQMs and $2400 MQD's before May 15th.

Departure Airport: ORD, but can position
Miles Needed: 20k
Required Spend or Budget: $1000
Available Travel Dates: Prefer long weekends, but flexible (anytime after Jan 31st)
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA,British Airways, Finnair, Iberia and Japan Airlines
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N, but can get

I also have access to all major travel portals (AMEX, Chase Ultimate Rewards, and Citi Thank You) for "special/bulk fares", although it may be dead via the new Chase portal.

Thank you!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by ipegleg
Departure Airport: RIC, DCA, IAD, BWI (PHL)
Miles Needed: 12,500
Required Spend or Budget: $1500
Available Travel Dates: Primarily weekends through May 15
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA (codeshares OK I think)

Offered the Plat challenge - need to achieve goal by May 15 but already have 2 non-AA trips planned between now and 5/15.

I've been looking at same day runs DCA-CLT-SAN-CLT-DCA at ~$200 RT (~.04 /mile) Is there a good way to search out MRs? Or just hunt and peck adding airports?

Thank you in advance for your time and help.
Where are you seeng DCA-SAN-DCA runs for $200 r/t?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Oneworld pleb, Accors Hotel Gold
Hello, happy new year. Can you please help me do a mileage run to LAX?

Departure Airport: AMS, BRU (can reposition in Europe)
Destination: LAX
Miles Needed: 300 TP or more (BA-EC)
Required Spend or Budget: Cheapest preferred but maximum EUR 1,000 (flexible)
Available Travel Dates: Between May and October 2019 (June, August-Oct very open)
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: anything yielding high XP for BA Executive Club

Thank you!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA-1K 3MM, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium Life Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
AA Mileage Runs 219

Looking at the premium fares threat there are great business class One world fares YYZ/YUL to BKK and other cities using AY or QR. If I was going to knock off another year of Exp, then I would do 3-4 trips to Asia and zip the PQMs and PQDs would sky rocket. I did that last year using AY and AA to Asia plus a couple of domestic trips to hit the 12K spend and 100K miles. I don't always have time when I am home take off for a weekend quick MR. At least getting to Thailand there are many nice resorts to relax at and get rid of jet lag. Also I want to try the Qsuites by QR.
Any other other suggestions? I haven't started yet on any AA MRs.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I'm not specifically doing a MR but I'm looking to maximize EQM's on a given route.

What I want is to search the routing PHL-LAX-LAS in first over a range of days, AA only, in F. I'm most interested in the afternoon departure they run an A332 on. It would be ideal if it could search only certain days of the week.

I know there's a tool to let me search like this but I can't remember what it is.

My goal is this: If I need extra EQM/EQD, and I'm going to fly F to get them, I might as well use the bird that has lie-flat seats. I took this flight several times in 2018, for the "normal" F fare on this route of about $610ish. Some days the fare was higher. In the searches I've done recently, I'm seeing fares of $900 and up. Yes it's possible they made an overall change on this routing. But I'd like to be able to search.

Followup - I found what I needed. ITA Matrix. It (almost) works like a dream. I can get the fare for the specific flight I want for a 30-day period.

But, is there a way to put a parameter on the flight time? I know you can filter after you get the results. The flight I like leaves at different times and because of the connections, it can make a 3-hour difference in the final arrival. So I'd like to be able to get flights only including a specific flight number AND only leaving before a specific time.

Last edited by redtop43; Jan 27, 2019 at 8:46 pm
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:34 pm

Platinum Challenge Help

I only need 1600 EQMs to complete my Platinum Challenge, but also require 1500 EQDs. Can anyone help?

departure Airport(s): LAX or SNA
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 1600
EQDs Needed:1500
Max Budget: least amount possible
Available Travel Dates: 2/15-2/17
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay: however I can Max this out -
Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:38 pm

If your goal is to collect the EQDs to qualify and you want to do it in 1 day over the feb 16/17/18 weekend, this would be one option to do it in one day out of LAX business class.

Saturday, February 16, 2019

FlightDepartArriveTravel timeAircraftClassSeats 2459 American Airlines7:55 AM
LAX12:59 PM
DFW3h 4m32BFirstStop: Dallas/ Fort Worth (DFW) 2198 American Airlines2:39 PM
DFW6:18 PM
FLL2h 39m32BFirstStop: Fort Lauderdale (FLL) 2198 American Airlines7:09 PM
FLL9:30 PM
DFW3h 21m32BFirstStop: Dallas/ Fort Worth (DFW) 84 American Airlines10:15 PM
DFW11:47 PM
LAX3h 32m32BFirstAAdvantage earnings for this trip

Platinum
Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) Segments (EQSs) Dollars (EQDs) Award miles
Total ................9,416................... . 4 .....................$ 1,546 ............12,368

Last edited by ipegleg; Feb 2, 2019 at 8:44 pm Reason: clear up formatting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.