Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Seems like flying a OW carrier to Thailand for $900 would be much better and simpler than flying there *A and then spending another $600 or more to get the ~11,000 EQM you need.
Since there are two of us on the BKK trip it would be more fly OW carrier for $1900 (since flight would have been for 2 ppl) or fly non-OW for $1300 and another OW flight for under $600
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dsp2489
Since there are two of us on the BKK trip it would be more fly OW carrier for $1900 (since flight would have been for 2 ppl) or fly non-OW for $1300 and another OW flight for under $600
Unless you’re hoping to make a trip of the second flight instead of making a pure mileage run, the BKK option still seems better. But I’m seeing LGA-DFW-HNL for around $600 on AA, which might still leave you a little short of the EQM. (I doubt you can earn ~11,000 EQM for much less than $600.)
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriot gold, hyatt globalist
currently ExecPlat & cant find the value over PlatPro - still haven't been able to use my 4SWU's (would love to use them on this mileage run)....can someone "sell" me on going for ExPlat vs PlatPro?

Departure Airport(s): DSM
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 25k PlatPro / 50k ExPlat

EQDs Needed: $2k platpro / $8k ExPlat
Max Budget: $3k
Available Travel Dates: Sept to December
Max # Travel Nights: 5
AA only, or Partners Okay: partners ok
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): nope
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:24 pm
Suspended

I don't have a position on PlatPro vs. ExPlat, but it's highly unlikely you'll be able to accrue $8,000 EQD and 50,000 EQM for $3,000.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:25 pm

ya...prob shoulda just left how far away I am from EP again this year
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:31 pm
Suspended

On the plus side, getting to PlatPro should be easy enough, although you might want to book on a partner out of somewhere like ORD for the better EQM/EQD earnings.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:37 pm

like which partner?...where/what city is the cheapest/best value?
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by nk15
He can also try MSP-DFW-HNL and back in first class for about $1900 but I think it only gives 18500 eqms and is convoluted schedule, the direct flight to HKG from DFW is simpler.
Do you happen to remember the dates you used for MSP-DFW-HNL and back? I cant seem to make it work for 1900
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fielder
like which partner?...where/what city is the cheapest/best value?
If you're looking to knock out as much of the $2,000 EQD and 25,000 EQM on one trip, you're going to be looking at a trip to HKG or SIN, perhaps but not necessarily in premium economy. With AA, you earn EQD based on dollars spent, but on many if not all partners, you earn as a percentage of miles flown, depending on fare class.

In your case, you might want to get to ORD and then look at Cathay or JAL to HKG, SIN, or NRT. Fare class will be key, though, as the earnings for those two can be weak on the cheaper fares.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:47 pm

interesting...do u know which partner offers the best value for EQD's?...and yes, im trying to knock it out with one flight
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:49 pm
Suspended

interesting...do u know which partner offers the best value for EQD's?...and yes, im trying to knock it out with one flight
If you're trying to knock this out in one flight, then you'll need to be in premium economy, at minimum. Your problem is much more EQM than EQD. Even with weak EQD earnings, you should get $2,000 EQD on a partner trip to HKG or SIN, perhaps even when paying half that amount in actual dollars.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:53 pm

gotcha...do u know which partner offers the best value for EQD's?...I have no issues with doing premium economy & using SWU's for the flight (is this possible to do if I book through a partner?)...and which city is best to fly from/back
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:08 pm
Suspended

gotcha...do u know which partner offers the best value for EQD's?...I have no issues with doing premium economy & using SWU's for the flight (is this possible to do if I book through a partner?)...and which city is best to fly from/back
SWUs can only be used for flights operated by AA. If you want to go that route, you could look at something like DSM-DFW-HKG in premium economy, which I just found for about $1,600. That would get you the 25,000 EQM you need, but leave you $500+ short of EQD.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA
On the RT flights from DFW-HKG everyone mentions to maximize one trip miles is there any problems with DFW-PEK if you're not going into Beijing? For dates im needing theres a 13-17 hr layover in PEK anyway if i fly to HKG and theres only a 3k mile difference. Would rather not sit aroung in PEK if i dont have to.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Buck Ivie
On the RT flights from DFW-HKG everyone mentions to maximize one trip miles is there any problems with DFW-PEK if you're not going into Beijing? For dates im needing theres a 13-17 hr layover in PEK anyway if i fly to HKG and theres only a 3k mile difference. Would rather not sit aroung in PEK if i dont have to.
You can't just go to any Chinese city and come back, you need a visa, unless you go to a third country/region and use what is called TWOV, there is thread for that. The only places in broader china without need for a visa is HKG or TPE, so stick to those, and do not transit through other Chinese cities because you may brake the TWOV rules and it is complicated. Stick to DFW-HKG (direct) and back, it is the easiest. Here is the thread for TWOV, fyi, but stick to the direct to HKG and you will be fine.
China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread
Buck Ivie likes this.

Last edited by nk15; Sep 27, 2019 at 12:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.