Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

2014 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA, AF, IB, AA
Hey all, I am currently trying to dump (for next summer) something like MAD/BCN-PTY-MIA-MAD/BCN but even and OJ without the PTY-MIA segment would work, so far i can only use partial dumps on some OW carrier. The best bf seem to be on AA and some combo of ST carriers. The (almost same) route is 100% dumpable in reverse on ST, so I have some hope it can be done in the direction i am interested. Can anyone share some hints, pointers or any other advice to a fellow traveler? Similar route on different alliance would be also interesting. PM are welcome. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: Delta Gold/US Air Gold/GHA Black
Travel between C3 and C1. Base fare is ~150 each way and FATis 540-550.
By adding a 3x, I've gotten the FAT down to 189. .

Would be happy to trade info as I am fairly new to this.

Looking for other 3x options especially for C1-C3. Thank you very much.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinium
Originally Posted by siara91
Hi

Im wondering how much you folks can dump C2-C4 RT route on JJ.
My best is 378 euro on 3x OTAble, but still there is fat (177 euro) left I hope someone will post better deal on this carrier

Probably old but...
Same route, 215€, 100% YQ dump.
no special CC, 1x involved.

I have still hope that there is some other whay (other 3x, DOJ ect) to kill remainig fat
Old Jan 10, 2014, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by siara91
Probably old but...
Same route, 215€, 100% YQ dump.
no special CC, 1x involved.

I have still hope that there is some other whay (other 3x, DOJ ect) to kill remainig fat
Your 1X is possible to fly?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
I don't have this thread's lingo down, but....

*A -- check special offers on Birdish airline from US Gulf to Chicken dish for U.

Base is $59. See if you can trim the fat with a 3x for very sweet price to chew and swallow. $605 w/o 3x on their site.

Good through end of Feb.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA LM Airbnb
Is there an OTA that accepts 1x's leaving US? Can do plenty in reverse.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 2:57 am
hsk

Programs: *A, OW, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by flyzabit
I don't have this thread's lingo down, but...
Thanks for posting but untricked fares/city pairs shouldn't be 'lingoed'
Old Jan 11, 2014, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by Mateuszz
Your 1X is possible to fly?
Its not in C2. Maybe this 1x is skippable but i dont know how to check it without buyin a ticket
Old Jan 11, 2014, 3:07 am

Just call the airline .

Last edited by 336; Jan 11, 2014 at 3:51 am Reason: For all novices reading this thread: this is a joke. Never call!. I'm sure siara is aware, just added this for the "lurkers".
Old Jan 11, 2014, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by 336
Just call the airline .
^
Old Jan 11, 2014, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by 336
Just call the airline .
Old Jan 11, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: aa ua dl jb starwood marriott hyatt
Is it possible to do 100% C1-C2 with a 3x?
Old Jan 11, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
Originally Posted by hsk
Thanks for posting but untricked fares/city pairs shouldn't be 'lingoed'
Yes, but I think a digit is missing (mistake). If you can trim the fat, you have a great fare.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: Top tier elite on several airlines across alliances, Marriott Rewards, SPG
Need advice so I don't inadvertently kill a trick

Consider the following scenario:

I have a C1-C2 fare that is over 80% fat. I also have a 1x in a somewhat inconvenient part of the world that is itself not too pricey and that removes 100% of the YQ from the C1-C2 fare. The dumped C1-C2 fare becomes so cheap, in fact, that it would make for an epic mileage run. To offset the costs of the 1x (miles for positioning and then flying the 1x itself) and make the run worth it, I would need to fly the C1-C2 rd trip route at least 3 times, but I would like to do it even more times, all as add-ons to the same 1x on a single itinerary (so, for example, 1x and then C1-C2-C1 3 or more times in a row, all on a single PNR).

The 1x and the C1-C2 candidate fare are on the same carrier, no codeshares or partners (and that's the only way this particular trick works, I think). In other words, this is a self-dump, in a manner of speaking.

My concern is that I will inadvertently draw attention to the trick precisely because it is on a single carrier if I book on the carrier's web site, if I attach too many trips to a single 1x, or both. My instinct is that the carrier would never automatically detect such a situation because it is hard to imagine how its IT would have the technical sophistication to do so in light of the technical incompetence that allows the trick to exist in the first place.

But I would feel super guilty if, by underestimating the carrier, I accidentally killed off a trick that other FTers use.

So here are my specific questions:

1) Should I book this on the carrier's own web site, or will that raise too many red flags? Every trick I've ever personally found/used in the past involves multiple carriers, so I've always booked through an OTA without incident. Does anyone have experience/advice about doing this on a single carrier's own site? I ask because I am having some trouble stitching together the itinerary on an OTA, but on the carrier's site it just pops right out.

2) Is it better to schedule the multiple C1-C2 rd trips right after one another or to spread them out over the calendar? Either works for my travel schedule -- I am asking what has a lower likelihood of having the carrier take notice.

3) Is there a maximum number of such C1-C2 trips I should combine into a single PNR with a single 1x? If I knew there would be no issue, I would add as many as the carrier's website or an OTA would permit, in order to maximize the value of the 1x, and it appears that I can string together at least 3 on a single PNR on the carrier's site. Again, I am asking because I do not want to expose the trick inadvertently, since I suspect it is well-known and widely used (albeit new to me).

The last thing I want is for my greed to lead to some very useful trick being shut down, but the cpm on this tricked fare can be brought down so low that it is difficult to pass up milking this for all it is worth as a mileage run. So I'm asking for thoughts/advice from the community, preferably from people who have had experience with this scenario (all segments on a single carrier, all mutually combinable with one another to make a very very long itinerary). I do have the option of mixing in a fairly fatty (67% or so) C1-C2.5 rd trip into the mix in lieu of some of the C1-C2 rd trips that will still make this a worthwhile mileage run for me, if that would help keep things under the radar.

I am looking to complete my booking this weekend. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Originally Posted by heterosapiens
My concern is that I will inadvertently draw attention to the trick precisely because it is on a single carrier if I book on the carrier's web site, if I attach too many trips to a single 1x, or both. My instinct is that the carrier would never automatically detect such a situation because it is hard to imagine how its IT would have the technical sophistication to do so in light of the technical incompetence that allows the trick to exist in the first place.

But I would feel super guilty if, by underestimating the carrier, I accidentally killed off a trick that other FTers use.
I think this is somewhat like the hidden city ticket trick, where you do not want to caught be throwing away a sector far too often.

And while I think someday, the loophole will be closed (if more ppl discover and exploit it), you just do not want to give the airline a reason to query your FFP account by bringing it to their attention.

So i guess, go for a couple of it quickly, and then layoff for a while, especially it is a self dump and if you are posting it to the same airline. If you do it repeatedly non-stop in continuous fashion, then I think you will bring more attention to your FFP account, which I think is something you may not want.

But if you are taking an expensive positioning flight to reach 1x, and needed to chalk up multiple 1xs to fly your multiple c1-c2 RTs, then perhaps you might want to consider if the risks are worth it in the end.

I would only want to try 1x in such situation, if I happen to travel to that part of the world, and do an "add-on" for a couple of mileage runs. But certainly not going for multiple mileage runs, with everything going into the same airline's FFP. It may not kill the trick yet, but it may freeze your FFP.

Last edited by ZenWorld; Jan 11, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.