Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is a good business class deal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

I see a lot of fares but how it can be established that it is a good deal.
I see some comments as cost per mile calculations. Can some one tell me how this is calculated and again what should be a a good CPM. Thanks for all the assistance.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Balaa1
I see some comments as cost per mile calculations. Can some one tell me how this is calculated and again what should be a a good CPM. Thanks for all the assistance.
It is not as simple as that IMO. I usually take into consideration other things as well, such as aircraft types/seat types on a given route/deal, mileage earning (depends on which FFP you credit the flights to) and how easy it is to position to the departure point from my home airports (that is, how convinient it is and how much the cost is).

So I'd say you really need to figure out for yourself whether deal X is good or not.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:00 am

It really depends on the region-to-region route and if you're getting a good discount compared to typical prices.

E.g. Usually USWestCoast - Europe roundtrip in lie-flat business class is ~$3000, so if you find something under $2000 its a good deal.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
Yeah, it is pretty subjective by route. I tend to post deals for routes I know about, like Europe to Asia. E.g. OSL HKG it is pretty easy to find J fares roundtrip for about $1,300. LHR HKG that would be unheard of, so that price on the LHR HKG route would certainly be a deal, even though it's about the same distance, same carrier, etc.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
It's a cop-out answer of a question but it's relative to the customer. convenience, travel time are all factors.

Most of my travel is for work I am always looking to save (and at the moment pressure from others) money on my travel budget. So If i find a EX Eu- out of AMS that is half the price of Ex LHR then that is close enough for me to save my employers money and still get the travel perks I negotiated into my employment contact!

However I would not go to CAI or BUD to save 500 or whatever figure because they just isn't convenient for me. Ultimately it's all in the beholder.

taking my awkward answer aside. I believe a J class return ticket that is 2000 or less and the flight time is over 7 hours is a good price.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:50 am

An easy rule is probably, if they are posted here the deal should be good...
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
10 cpm for biz, and 20 cpm for first on long haul routes.

I try to stick to round trips under 2k RT for US-Asia. Under $1000 itineraries are my favorites.
kburges likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Balaa1
means many things. The forum usually judges if it is good or not. Good deals get many buyers and the thread stays fresh till the fare is pulled, the not so great deals quickly vanish into the forum back pages.
good deals "usually" include;
underpriced compared to the usual fares for the city pairs, route, season of travel and airline.
low cpm (less than 8cpm??)
unusually easy access to otherwise hard to get airline cabins (SQ suites, EY residence etc.)

cpm is, cost in USD *100 /miles of the exact route
(to and from return, as calculated from gcmap website.)
Excluding any mileage bonuses for the cabin and your status.
e.g.
2000 usd for a 2500 mile one way route is 40 cpm.

Last edited by Tokyoite; Oct 12, 2017 at 5:56 am
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

I try to stick to round trips under 2k RT for US-Asia. Under $1000 itineraries are my favorites.
I've heard (on FT?) that <=$0.06/mi is the cutoff for econ MR's. Since I get 1, 2 or 3 EQMs based on class of service, wouldn't $0.12/mi & 0.18 be the threshold for a good deal?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by rxgeek
I've heard (on FT?) that <=$0.06/mi is the cutoff for econ MR's. Since I get 1, 2 or 3 EQMs based on class of service, wouldn't $0.12/mi & 0.18 be the threshold for a good deal?
So many airlines are messing with what they award for trips, especially when its revenue based.

I find the 10 and 20 cpm levels work for me as a rule of thumb. Sure, if I really need a flight, thats going out the window. If you want to go to Oz, and the J ticket is 13cpm, jump on it. If its 25cpm, you might want to think hard.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

THIS +1

If the CPM comes out to $0.06 of below with/ after bonus's you're doing good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.