Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Good starting points for a MR? On Delta/ST or UA/*A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum

Due to a huge change in work travel I'm planning my first mileage run. I was pretty good at finding great fairs out of my previous home base, that got me where I needed to go and maximized miles, but I've moved and am not having such great success here.
Primarily I'd like to make a run on Delta/ST but am considering trying to do a status match challenge on UA.
My big challenge seems to be departure city. I'm located in SW Virginia and can easily depart from RDU, CLT, IAD, and DCA, also I can usually position to ATL, ORD, and NYC for fairly cheap.
What cities should I be looking at a departure point?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:30 pm

Of the starting points you have listed, CLT is likely the best choice to monitor for discounted fares. As an American hub, DL and UA will offer reduced prices regularly from CLT. The others can certainly still have good deals. Obviously price is only one factor to MRs. Number of miles needed, timing/scheduling, number of trips, exact program to credit to, visa/passport concerns (etc. etc.) also need to be considered.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Hi. if you don't mind sharing, why exactly do you need to MR? Your goals might help get a better picture of whether you are looking for short domestic segments, or long international flight segments, economy or business etc.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Hi. if you don't mind sharing, why exactly do you need to MR? Your goals might help get a better picture of whether you are looking for short domestic segments, or long international flight segments, economy or business etc.
I'm currently a PM but due to a drastic cut back in work related travel won't make GM this year. I'm not certain yet how far short I'm going to fall. I know I've got some personal travel this year and next, and would like to not be starting over at nothing when travel does pick back up the end of next year or beginning of the following year. For personal travel I like to book domestic F or J, work requires that I book lowest Y (but thank god says basic economy fares don't count as lowest available). I'm leaning more toward longer international segments (have a valid passport) since I think I'm going to be closer in miles than segments.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
Of the starting points you have listed, CLT is likely the best choice to monitor for discounted fares. As an American hub, DL and UA will offer reduced prices regularly from CLT. The others can certainly still have good deals. Obviously price is only one factor to MRs. Number of miles needed, timing/scheduling, number of trips, exact program to credit to, visa/passport concerns (etc. etc.) also need to be considered.
WAS airports (BWI/IAD/DCA) are generally going to be better for international runs due to the intense competition there. I've personally done a number of Skyteam MR's out of them. WAS, NYC, and CHI are my top 3 Google Flights origins when searching for MR fares. Since I'm DTW based, I'll generally book a cheap one-way revenue/award fare to position and then route the return trip back through DTW and just exit there.

Right now, I'm seeing WAS-JNB from $854, WAS-DXB from $695, and WAS-CGK from $787.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 20, 2017 at 10:29 pm
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by LBJ
WAS airports (BWI/IAD/DCA) are generally going to be better for international runs due to the intense competition there. I've personally done a number of Skyteam MR's out of them. WAS, NYC, and CHI are my top 3 Google Flights origins when searching for MR fares. Since I'm DTW based, I'll generally book a cheap one-way revenue/award fare to position and then route the return trip back through DTW and just exit there.

Right now, I'm seeing WAS-JNB from $854, WAS-DXB from $695, and WAS-CGK from $787.
Thank you LBJ. Killer deals from WAS and CHI. I am planning at least two MRs soon
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
UA has some pretty good fares to SE Asia from September (ish) and beyond. Keep on looking at sites like TFD for daily updates. I like IAD and EWR (oddly enough).. I'm LAX based and see lots of fares from IAD EWR and PHL to out of the way places that would make for a good MR.. Now.. a personal antidote.. Get out of the airport at your destination..even for the day (better stay overnight or two) and enjoy your time there.. When I was building status many moons ago That's what I did.. It wasn't that expensive and really made the MR fulfilling.. Keep us posted..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.