Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] AA/BA: YYZ-VCE Economy/Premium Economy Same Price??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] AA/BA: YYZ-VCE Economy/Premium Economy Same Price??

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Perhaps the first sign of funnybusiness?

Just checked AA.com and my reservation is showing "on request." The reservation will not display and simply says "Call Reservations."

FWIW, I called in and successfully upgraded from WT+ to CW on the return about two weeks before this change. I even have my "Ticketed" confirmation email.
Old May 31, 2016, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances

Last edited by nk15; Jun 5, 2016 at 7:15 am
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Perhaps the first sign of funnybusiness?

Just checked AA.com and my reservation is showing "on request." The reservation will not display and simply says "Call Reservations."

FWIW, I called in and successfully upgraded from WT+ to CW on the return about two weeks before this change. I even have my "Ticketed" confirmation email.
I see the same thing on my reservation now through AA....hmmm. Still shows up fine on BA though.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Gold
BA is backing out of the ticket, even though I have a ticketed confirmation on May 1 with the upgrade to Club World.

I called AA EXP and the agent changed the ticket to World Traveler and says I do not have a WT+ ticket that can be upgraded to CW.

Any one else have an update?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cheynewalk
BA is backing out of the ticket, even though I have a ticketed confirmation on May 1 with the upgrade to Club World.

I called AA EXP and the agent changed the ticket to World Traveler and says I do not have a WT+ ticket that can be upgraded to CW.

Any one else have an update?
Does this mean BA cancelled your ticket, cancelled your upgrade, or something else?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by mykel67
Does this mean BA cancelled your ticket, cancelled your upgrade, or something else?
Both. My reservation went from ticketed to "On Request." I had to spend 2 hours on the phone with the EXP desk. The first EXP agent just reissued the ticket in World Traveller on his own accord. I raised a huge protest, said that was not what I bought, and asked to be transferred to another agent, and finally the second EXP agent wound up refunding the original ticket and redepositing the miles if I agreed to purchase a new ticket in my original fare classes (upgrade eligible coach outbound, and confirmed business return) for the equivalent price on AA metal for the transatlantic segments (N class outbound, I class return) and AA gave me a fare voucher for the fare difference.

Both EXP agents said that BA would not honor the WT+ ticket under any circumstances and the second EXP agent said since it was AA's fault AA would give me a voucher but they could not "eat" the fare difference to buy a WT+ ticket on BA metal. For me this kind of defeated the purpose of the trip because I wanted to fly BA's 747 upper deck, but at the end of the day I agreed to accept the voucher because I like AA's 77w in business and I have other AA travel I need to do.

Last edited by Cheynewalk; Jun 20, 2016 at 6:04 pm
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
This is confusing, I don't understand what you end up doing. I think the easiest solution to this is just to ask to revert back to your original ticket, which shows as Y/W and is booked in WT+. What you will end up flying is a different story, but at least it seems to be showing as a WT+ on the seat assignments.

Has anyone flown this yet?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
This is confusing, I don't understand what you end up doing. I think the easiest solution to this is just to ask to revert back to your original ticket, which shows as Y/W and is booked in WT+. What you will end up flying is a different story, but at least it seems to be showing as a WT+ on the seat assignments.

I asked to revert back to my original ticket and was told by AA that it was not an option. AA said that I would be denied boarding if I tried to do that.

If you have it confirmed and ticketed through BA.com with the upgrades then perhaps it is not a problem for you. But they definitely said for me I no longer had a valid ticket.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 10:55 am

Just spoke with a rep, turns out my fare is restricted (I see it on the bottom of my receipt) and ineligible for upgrade.
Has anyone else run into this?

Last edited by gojackets; Jun 21, 2016 at 11:42 am
Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by nk15

Did this work for you? BA already pulled some funny business with my upgrade to Club, so now I have "ticket pending." Infuriating seeing that getting this upgrade in the first place was a flipping ACT OF GOD. My entire itinerary is blank. Waiting to call in out of dread/need for more anecdotes. I feel like I should get a full refund if they are unable to seat me in WT+.

Will AA rebook on AA metal? Any recourse with regulators (like EC)?

Last edited by brewdog11; Jun 21, 2016 at 3:29 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jun 24, 2016, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11

Will AA rebook on AA metal?
They did for me, but only after I raised a huge fuss on the EXP line with the first EXP AAgent who tried to put me into regular economy.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:13 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat Pro
Ticketing - AA tricks

I hate to bump this to the top again, but where did everyone get with their ticketing?

When I check on the AA app it still says ticketed. When I check online the ticket status is 'on request'. I spoke to BA and asked them to confirm the ticket and they said the ticket is confirmed and they gave me the ticket numbers. Should I check with AA why it says 'on request' as that is who I booked the ticket with?
Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by cedejah
I hate to bump this to the top again, but where did everyone get with their ticketing?

When I check on the AA app it still says ticketed. When I check online the ticket status is 'on request'. I spoke to BA and asked them to confirm the ticket and they said the ticket is confirmed and they gave me the ticket numbers. Should I check with AA why it says 'on request' as that is who I booked the ticket with?
Yes, you'll have to check with AA. If anything, it's worth it to not show up at the airport and be denied boarding or handed an economy ticket. When calling, be very careful to make sure that they do NOT put you in regular economy. You purchased Premium Economy, so that's what you're entitled to.

I've been putting off this phone call for a while because I just know that it's going to be a drag. I keep saying something to this effect, but I'm going to try and call sometime this week. I'll report back what happens.

FWIW, my flights are not showing up just fine on BA. Also, my BA YYZ-LHR flight has been converted to a 789.

Last edited by brewdog11; Jul 13, 2016 at 6:33 am
Old Jul 13, 2016, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by cedejah

I upgraded my second ticket last week and it was ticketed soon thereafter. The AAgent I had was spectacular, she knew exactly what to do and had it all done within 20 minutes.

I thought I might have to HUCU when she initially said I was in Y but she had been looking at the other legs and admitted her mistake. I didn't push to get the intra-Europe legs upgraded, I am happy with the TATL.

The trickiest part on these tickets is that they need to be changed to the BA flight number in order for the upgrade to be processed. This requires the agent to call the fare desk and that is where you will end up with people saying that this is a restricted fare.

Regardless of whether it is restricted, the rules for upgrading from WT+ just say a published WT+ fare (https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp). There is no mention on the site that restricted fares are not eligible but there are some people at the fare desk who have made up that rule I think...

One odd thing that I have noticed is that seat selection no longer seems available. I guess I will have to call in but on my first ticket I recall selecting all of my seats online (upgraded and regular).
Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by SensFan
I upgraded my second ticket last week and it was ticketed soon thereafter. The AAgent I had was spectacular, she knew exactly what to do and had it all done within 20 minutes.

I thought I might have to HUCU when she initially said I was in Y but she had been looking at the other legs and admitted her mistake. I didn't push to get the intra-Europe legs upgraded, I am happy with the TATL.

The trickiest part on these tickets is that they need to be changed to the BA flight number in order for the upgrade to be processed. This requires the agent to call the fare desk and that is where you will end up with people saying that this is a restricted fare.

Regardless of whether it is restricted, the rules for upgrading from WT+ just say a published WT+ fare (https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp). There is no mention on the site that restricted fares are not eligible but there are some people at the fare desk who have made up that rule I think...

One odd thing that I have noticed is that seat selection no longer seems available. I guess I will have to call in but on my first ticket I recall selecting all of my seats online (upgraded and regular).
My flight has been changed to the BA flight number and as I said I spoke to BA and they said everything seems fine from their end. It's just that when I go on to the AA website it says 'Status - on request" but strangely enough on the AA mobile app it says 'status - ticketed'.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.