Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Skipping the last leg on AA. Any advice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA; GOL Smiles; COPA ConnectMiles; Marriot Bonvoy Titanium; Amtrak Guest Rewards Elite

So of course, there is a fare I want on AA, and it's cheaper for me to position to another city than it is to depart from my home airport. The fare rules allow for a free layover in the US, so I can construct the return flight to get me back to my home city, and skip the last leg to the positioning city.

What type of reactions should I expect from AA? I have status with them and don't think they'll care about me missing a measly 1 hour flight, but you never know. There is also the issue of checked bags, and I'm wondering how realistic it would be to have an agent route them for pick up in my home city without screwing the pooch on the ticket.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT

Search, google.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: AA PLT, Club Carlson GLD, IHG Spire, Lifemiles GLD, Hilton Gold
Don't check bags unless your last leg is immediately following your first entry into the US on an international trip.

They probably won't short check your bag unless you have an overnight before your last leg.

/ymmv
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA; GOL Smiles; COPA ConnectMiles; Marriot Bonvoy Titanium; Amtrak Guest Rewards Elite
Originally Posted by zgringo14
Don't check bags unless your last leg is immediately following your first entry into the US on an international trip.

They probably won't short check your bag unless you have an overnight before your last leg.

/ymmv
Thanks, gringo. You can construct the stopover to have an overnight, which would take care of the short-check problem. ^
Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Reaction?

Doug Parker comes up from DFW, rips your AAdvantage card in half himself, and goes LOLOLOLOL DOUGIE WINS YOU HAVE TO FLY SPIRIT FOREVER!

In reality, as noted, make sure you have an overnight where you actually want to end up, and ideally make your re-entry point to the USA at your home airport as well. And beware IRROPS and all that jazz. And, of course, see if you could actually fit the flight into a different plan, or make a day out of visiting that intermediate point sometime in the future while getting a cheap flight back home.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Reaction?

Doug Parker comes up from DFW, rips your AAdvantage card in half himself, and goes LOLOLOLOL DOUGIE WINS YOU HAVE TO FLY SPIRIT FOREVER!
Thanks, BOSman. That was my laugh for the day. Given that AA awards miles for each segment, I would think/hope that they wouldn't do something mean and take my miles for all of the return. I also tried playing with the stopover to take advantage of the leg I'm missing for a future positioning trip. No dice. Price shoots way up after 72 hours on the ground for the stopover; which I believe goes against the fare rules stating that the stopover is free, and all travel must be completed within 12 months...oh well.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Read: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by TeamCarryOn
Thanks, BOSman. That was my laugh for the day. Given that AA awards miles for each segment, I would think/hope that they wouldn't do something mean and take my miles for all of the return. I also tried playing with the stopover to take advantage of the leg I'm missing for a future positioning trip. No dice. Price shoots way up after 72 hours on the ground for the stopover; which I believe goes against the fare rules stating that the stopover is free, and all travel must be completed within 12 months...oh well.
Could be an availability issue, but who knows.

They won't take your miles for the return, although obviously you won't get the miles for the unflown segment. Do it once, not a big deal. Do it every other week, and you'll get the virtual equivalent of what I said, although it will be far less entertaining .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.