Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA: LAX-- HELP! NEED 40k to make exc. plat.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:59 am
Original Poster

HELP!!
this will be the first time i have ever done a milage run, and i don't know how to find this kind of info.

this year i came up short with Executive platinum, and with the new point system in 2016 I want to make sure to qualify before the end of the year.

im willing to pay up to $2,500 to earn the 35.5K miles i will need to qualify before the end of the calendar year.
would prefer to fly first or business.
i live in LA and will fly where ever needed.

thank you in advance for any and all help!

Last edited by Eric Tomlinson; Dec 3, 2015 at 11:18 am
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk Eric Tomlison ^

If this is a spoof someone beat you to it: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...a-make-1k.html. If not, you have a bit of flying ahead of you man!

There are some LAX-CGK flights on AA/JL for under $700 floating around. Two of those will put you over 35K BUT caveat emptor the JAL legs only earn 50%! DO YOUR REASEARCH with the any partner segments and make sure if/ what credit you will get. If you can route one of these through the East coast in one or both directions you'll have your goal under budget.

Good luck!!
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My response in the closed thread on the AA forum was lost as thread was closed while I was writing the post...

Short of it is -- best case, you need 40k elite qualifying POINTS (EQP), which you can get by flying 20k actual miles in discounted first or business class with the current EQP bonus. But that's a roundabout routing to SE Asia (for example) from LAX that will probably cost $3-4k if not more because the advance purchase window for deep-discount biz fares is closing.

Maybe also look into the Europe-South America (e.g., GRU, SCL) fares on the Premium Fare sub-forum, that might be your best bet, but you'd have to get to Europe as well, and probably back.

In economy, you'd probably need 40k actual miles if you're trying to qualify on elite qualifying MILES, and for $2500 that's less than 6c/mile, which is toward the lower bound of a decent mileage run, and will probably involve a lot of time on planes.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
You can do 4X LAS-SJU-LAS or LAS-PTY-LAS 1st class for around 38,000 EQM and maybe more EQP if there are any promotions. The flights are around $665-701 each and currently can purchase up to the last minute. Of course you have to position yourself to LAS. From LAX, the fare is slightly more.

Doing one this weekend.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
Premium Economy on CX LAX-HKG-MEL. Do it next week for $2700 roundtrip. 35,490 EQP
Old Dec 5, 2015, 10:07 am

You can do LAX to PTY via MIA, all segments either first or business, and earn 13,972 EQP for $835. Do that three times and you'd have 41,916.

Sometimes you can schedule that so you leave LAX at 10 p.m. one day and be back at LAX shortly after midnight the next day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.