Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DELTA: Need a cheap NYC 2500 MQM run

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2015, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Any ideas on a cheap Delta run that will get me 2500 miles from any NYC airport?

Is it worth going to the airport on Friday and just asking what options there are? I have heard people tell me they can get cheap fares in person, but am skeptical.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 1:59 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...rums-work.html
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeytino
Any ideas on a cheap Delta run that will get me 2500 miles from any NYC airport?

Is it worth going to the airport on Friday and just asking what options there are? I have heard people tell me they can get cheap fares in person, but am skeptical.
That's about the worst mileage run advice I've ever heard. You generally want to book at least 2 weeks ahead of time as the cheapest fares typically have advance purchase requirements. Walk-up fares tend to be the most expensive, and no, the agents don't cut deals just because a flight isn't full. Saturdays tend to be slow travel days with cheaper fares available. Tuesday's and Wednesday's also tend to be good. Sunday, Monday and Friday are peak business travel days and you will rarely find good mileage run deals on these days. You can use Google Flights to search for destinations with their map feature. I see JFK/LGA - DFW from $178 rountrip (connecting via DTW/MSP/ATL). This will earn around 3000+ MQM's.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:11 pm

Often you can get to Austin, TX for cheap. Do some searching on the forums for how to use ITA Matrix and you'll see some really good info. Put in the time to learn how it all works.

NYC - OAK (with connections) is often cheap and well over 2500 miles. You should be able to find something for 200-300 easily.

Your best bet will be traveling to a large airport that isn't a Delta hub (albeit through a Delta hub). Think connecting in MSP, DTW, ATL, CVG, SLC and going to DFW, Austin, OAK/SFO, SAN, Burbank/LAX.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sometimes you can find especially cheap fares to the hub/focus city of a competitor, secondary airports, or on routes with (in particular, LCC or budget airline) competition. Think places like DFW, BWI, MDW, RDU, PIT, PHL, etc. If a connection is required for the city pair, fare rules will often give a choice of connecting airports so that you can pick a longer routing. (By contrast, routes with nonstop service IME often require nonstop flights for th cheaper fares.) DL also tends to have cheaper fares from airports that they're attempting to build up, notably JFK and SEA.

Given what you must spend for the needed MQMs, there's an argument that you should pick a ticket that maximizes the MQMs (for rollover) that you will earn for the price. A parallel argument doesn't apply to MQDs/MQSs as they don't rollover, nor to RDMs which now are just a multiple of the fare paid.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Given what you must spend for the needed MQMs, there's an argument that you should pick a ticket that maximizes the MQMs (for rollover) that you will earn for the price. A parallel argument doesn't apply to MQDs/MQSs as they don't rollover, nor to RDMs which now are just a multiple of the fare paid.
Agreed 100% with this. If you can go to OAK for 250 or ORD for 200 and both would satisfy the MQM, the potential extra earnings in the next year are worth the time (if you have it to spare).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.