Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Low health risk MR destinations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Low health risk MR destinations

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flying_q
I do not intend to be rude, but, do people actually do this? Do you also plug your eyes, ears and nose?
I had never heard of it either, and when I googled it I got NOTHING related to travel, health or safety
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by flying_q
I do not intend to be rude, but, do people actually do this? Do you also plug your eyes, ears and nose?
This is supposedly the vague rumor/exaggeration? for some places in Asia/Africa, but I don't know if it anyone actually does that. It is a joke/metaphor for not swallowing any amounts of tap water, obviously.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Madone59
I had never heard of it either, and when I googled it I got NOTHING related to travel, health or safety
I got a couple of relevant hits from travel fora, but apparently it is not a well established medical practice, lol...

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/as...ners-3590.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...Peninsula.html
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:58 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Well for PEK just bear in mind everything (anything) in China can be fake, especially the ingredients in your food...or the building material used in your hotel...
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Well for PEK just bear in mind everything (anything) in China can be fake, especially the ingredients in your food...or the building material used in your hotel...
WHAT?? Are you saying these aren't real Zew Balance shoes I saw in Bejing
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Originally Posted by nk15
This is supposedly the vague rumor/exaggeration? for some places in Asia/Africa, but I don't know if it anyone actually does that. It is a joke/metaphor for not swallowing any amounts of tap water, obviously.
OP, in my travels, I generally try to get bottled water for drinking and even brushing my teeth, even in Japan, where it was said the tap water is cleanest. This is just personal habit, since I don't like the taste of tap water. However, in China, they will actually warn you in many western-friendly hotels that you should not drink the tap water. I guess if you swallow a little bit, it doesn't hurt. However, sensitivity/tolerance of people's stomach is different. Add in the fact that you are consuming unfamiliar food, and you may accumulate enough water-born bugs to get stomach trouble.

The only place I've been warn over and over to "pucker my lips" during showering is in Mexico. I've heard many many more horror stories about people getting sick due to something they've eaten/drink in Mexico than in China.

Having said that, I have exhibited very severe nose/sinus problems during my last 2 PEK trips. I had runny nose and sneezing ~12-16 hours after landing in PEK and for another 2 days after I leave. Strange thing was that it only happened with PEK. Not Shanghai, and not anywhere else in the 2.5 weeks I spent in China during those 2 trips. I did not have ANY health problems anywhere in China previous to those 2 trips this year.

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
While true, the chance of you getting fake eggs, baby formula, or getting high exposure to lead or anything else immediately dangerous to your health is low. Its kinda like non-Americans worrying about getting shot travelling in America.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Based on your criteria (1-5 days, long distance):

You shouldn't go to Africa, anywhere near a rain forest (Brazil, Peru, etc.),and for now, South Korea (due to MERS).

You probably won't find a MR that isn't going to a major city, so food/water is relatively safe. As I mentioned in my reply above, play it safe and spend the extra $2 and drink only bottled water.

I can't think of any asian city where a large commercial airline flys to that is dangerous in any of the ways you described. As someone else mentioned, there are unsafe areas in most big cities. A tourist won't be going to those areas. It is not easy to 'wonder in by accident' unless you are truly stupid, even in Detroit...

I am looking for some ideas for long distance interesting MR destinations that one can do mini-vacation MRs (1-5 days), that generally meet the following criteria:

1. No vaccinations are needed, if staying only in the destination city (i.e., no visits to low sanitation suburban areas), with low risk exposure (avoiding street food, eating in high quality establishments, etc).

2. No risk from crazy scary exotic diseases (e.g., mosquito born hemorrhagic fevers, again, if staying in the city)

3. Do not have to tape mouth when in shower, when staying in 4-5 star major western hotel chains in the city (Hiltons, Marriotts, etc).

I take it as a given that all Europe and Australia are like that, but I would like suggestions for South America, Asia, and S. Africa.

I believe PEK, HKG, EZE, and TYO likely meet these criteria, and I am sure many more cities in these regions, and I would like additional suggestions. I understand this is somewhat subjective and perhaps a bit controversial topic, but I would like to hear some suggestions.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 2:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by imapilotaz
PEK = 100% safe. I feel way safer in PEK than I do in any other major worldwide city.
While I won't say Beijing is unsafe, those of you who think nothing bad happens there are wearing blinders. It's just when nasty things happen (e.g. sword murder earlier this month), the news tends to get brushed aside in short order (though not before making a splash in social media).
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:06 am

Programs: AA EXP
Wow, who knew, I have ignorantly slurped down the tap water in at least half of these countries mentioned with no ill effects...Ten days in Monterrey, MX, (tap water), 8 days in Sao Paulo, (tap water), a week in Tokyo (tap water)....no problems, knock on wood!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by moondog
While I won't say Beijing is unsafe, those of you who think nothing bad happens there are wearing blinders. It's just when nasty things happen (e.g. sword murder earlier this month), the news tends to get brushed aside in short order (though not before making a splash in social media).
Bad things can and do happen everywhere. I think PEK feels safe but was never under the impression that it was a utopia.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Madone59
Go to Hong Kong. Period! Frequent great MR's, safe, fun for a few days, easy to get around.
I second that , cant go wrong with HKG
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I am looking for some ideas for long distance interesting MR destinations that one can do mini-vacation MRs (1-5 days), that generally meet the following criteria:

1. No vaccinations are needed, if staying only in the destination city (i.e., no visits to low sanitation suburban areas), with low risk exposure (avoiding street food, eating in high quality establishments, etc).

2. No risk from crazy scary exotic diseases (e.g., mosquito born hemorrhagic fevers, again, if staying in the city)

3. Do not have to tape mouth when in shower, when staying in 4-5 star major western hotel chains in the city (Hiltons, Marriotts, etc).

I take it as a given that all Europe and Australia are like that, but I would like suggestions for South America, Asia, and S. Africa.

I believe PEK, HKG, EZE, and TYO likely meet these criteria, and I am sure many more cities in these regions, and I would like additional suggestions. I understand this is somewhat subjective and perhaps a bit controversial topic, but I would like to hear some suggestions.
It's not a controversial topic, and I don't mean to sound insulting, but you sound like a bit of a hypochondriac. If you want to avoid crazy diseases, maybe skip west Africa right now, don't venture into any jungles and steer clear of mainland China outside of PEK/PVG.

I've been to multiple places and never had to tape my mouth shut in a shower. I realize that might've been tongue in closed mouth cheek, but come on.

If you're only going to stay in upmarket hotels and eat at the fanciest places, I'm glad you have that kinda cash, but it's also totally unnecessary.

I also noticed you mentioned nothing of security. Do you assume security/cleanliness are hand in hand? They can be but they don't have to be.

Feel free to go to HK, Seoul and Tokyo are incredibly clean, Sao Paolo was fine I had no vaccines or water problems, Rio was the same, Bogota, Cali, Medellin and Cartagena are all perfectly fine for someone of your...discerning taste?

There's far more places in the world that fit your criteria than don't.

Honestly from the sounds of it you're better off in Western Europe or America. Canada's water is fine btw.

Maybe it's just blind luck, but I've never had more than a minor case of the runs. I chalk that up to switching food sources by changing continents. On longer stays it always passes after the first few days. I don't really drink much tap water anywhere, but I've brushed my teeth and never once used a bottle of water, all through the countries/cities listed and many more.

My legitimate suggestion to you, is find a PRICE you like and you're interested in, THEN do a quick bit of research and decide if it's ok for you.

Last edited by drvannostren; Aug 29, 2015 at 8:10 am
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by turkyildiz
I second that , cant go wrong with HKG
Beijing is actually not too bad, but I've learned over the years that it's best to avoid confrontations with 东北人, Russians, and drug dealers. (Apologies for these generalizations, but they hold true in 100% of my data set, which is quite vast.)

If the 东北人 happens to be brandishing a 1m sword, leave quickly!
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,

1) If you travel a lot, just get all the vaccinations you can get. Most are valid 5 years, some 10 years some for life. I would take those anyway.

2) Did once swimming in still water in africa. You can get those worms which go inside you. small ones. through your skin. But, there is pills. Just took them after i returned home just in case. It's not dangerous. But the swim was worth it.

3) You really tape your mouth in lower star hotels?

anyhow, PEK, HGH, EZE, TYO..... those FOR SURE qualify.

when i read the thread title i though you would go to some mediocre small town in Nigeria for example.

I would not worry that much actually..... if you get sick of wrong food.... this can have several reasons. which mainly is that you have a different "set of bacteria" in your intestines. For example egypt....i was there 10 days. Water: NO PROBLEM, Food: No problem for me. My wife had a bit of problem as she travels less.

the more you travel, and just eat normal what the locals eat..... you get less problems in the future too. If you wash hands at home every 5 minutes, eat sterilized food, and then go to africa: yes you get a problem.

as others said, look for the MR and then check. vaccinations just take them.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Maybe it's just blind luck, but I've never had more than a minor case of the runs. I chalk that up to switching food sources by changing continents. On longer stays it always passes after the first few days. I don't really drink much tap water anywhere, but I've brushed my teeth and never once used a bottle of water, all through the countries/cities listed and many more.
Exactly the same here (but maybe i'm Lucky too). If you travel a lot; it might be one meal which actually is not a "run" but just a change in "substance". this is normal. if you go on a diet you probably woudl have this too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.