Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE]BOS-SFO-ICN-SFO-BOS, $1735 ai. United Global First (F)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tyroner
If you wish to connect with other FTers, please post your dates/itinerary here
Print Wikipost

[PREM FARE GONE]BOS-SFO-ICN-SFO-BOS, $1735 ai. United Global First (F)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by mherdeg
I have cancelled and refunded two of these tickets.

The first worked online as expected, no problems, $ back to the card.

The second took 2+ weeks and several phone calls to refund correctly.
...So a bit of a strange experience all around, but it worked out eventually and didn't need to loop in any regulators.

Par for the course with UA; unfortunately most UA agents are totally ignorant of fare rules / norms and their attitude is pretty poor as well. I will be glad when 2015 comes and I will have no more reason to fly UA.

Originally Posted by kokonutz
...what I found interesting is the difference between the GF trans-P NRT product and the SEL product. NRT has slippers and they made my bed with a cushion. SEL had neither on offer. Competition is a GOOD thing!

One thing was similar: both had pretty disgusting food options.
Welcome to the reality of the "Global First" product of UA. Every time that cartoon character comes on the video screen to extol the "world class" virtues of UA, I feel like laughing and crying at the same time.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update on my refund situation - called and they claim it'll all happen. No credits to cards yet.

And, I agree with the above poster: 2015=very little paid UA for me, and food is basically useless and inedible at best, and annoyingly smelly at worst.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
A friend says that experimentally, the BOS-SFO sector A fare earns 7436 RDM (100% 1K bonus plus 175% domestic A fare bonus).

This is good to know, as there was some prior discussion in this thread that says that sometimes these domestic "A" fares earned 250% in conjunction with an intl A fare.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by mherdeg
A friend says that experimentally, the BOS-SFO sector A fare earns 7436 RDM (100% 1K bonus plus 175% domestic A fare bonus).

This is good to know, as there was some prior discussion in this thread that says that sometimes these domestic "A" fares earned 250% in conjunction with an intl A fare.
I can add another datapoint that is the number of miles (7436) I also received. However this was not a 250% fare class bonus. It appeared as: 2,704 base miles (100%) + 2,028 (75%) fare class bonus + 2704 1k miles. So the fare class bonus was therefore 175% (as it should be) not 250%. A 1k (owing to their status) would earn 275% of the base miles flown.

I have another flight after March 1st and given the new bump in PQD and decrease in RDM accrual are there are other good places to credit this for mile earning (ignoring status)? I can think of M&M (300% - A class) and KrisFlyer (150% A class). But M&M is poor for earning generally (e.g. W fare is only 50% of the miles). Any thoughts?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by tyroner
I can add another datapoint that is the number of miles (7436) I also received. However this was not a 250% fare class bonus. It appeared as: 2,704 base miles (100%) + 2,028 (75%) fare class bonus + 2704 1k miles. So the fare class bonus was therefore 175% (as it should be) not 250%. A 1k (owing to their status) would earn 275% of the base miles flown.

I have another flight after March 1st and given the new bump in PQD and decrease in RDM accrual are there are other good places to credit this for mile earning (ignoring status)? I can think of M&M (300% - A class) and KrisFlyer (150% A class). But M&M is poor for earning generally (e.g. W fare is only 50% of the miles). Any thoughts?
I'm crediting to M&M -- earning 51k, or just about enough for 1.5 roundtrips in domestic F, seems well worth it.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by tyroner

I am either going to do 300% at Aegean or 300% at M&M. Just need to decide which is more worth it.

Aegean Pros:
-Help me reach *A Gold will hit 24k + 26kish so from my understandting need another 22k to get *A gold.
-12.5k/21k J Intra-Asia so even DPS-SIN-NRT is 12.5k/21k, or DKR-JNB-MRU
-21k SFO-JFK UA
-Compettiive rates for US-EU, US-South America

M&M Pros:
-2stopovers for awards
-40k Hawaii to Asia round trip in Y
-17k Intra US J

Both charge YQ so its the same there unless on LH flying LOT,UA within US.

Probably going to end up going with A3 due to easier to use one-way award compared to M&M. Maybe even hit *Gold.

Third option is UA. 9464+28290=37734 miles which is actually probably easier to use than A3/LH miles...25k PQM is useless for me as flights are in diff calendar years.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
I have one post March 1... I thinking of crediting to M&M.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cliburn
I have one post March 1... I thinking of crediting to M&M.
Two of them will get you 100K miles and SEN/*G status.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:20 pm

Interesting UA tactic

So I have flown the outbound portion of my BOS-ICN A-class ticket and called today to change the return date.

The 1K agent could not read the rules (he was an UA agent, after all) and went to the rate desk to verify that date changes were FOC. Having done that, he proceeded to change the date until his computer told him to 'Add Collect' about $6,000+. I patiently explained the rules and he went back to the Rate Desk to check. Came back on the line and said that 'since the original fare was so low, changes will attract a fee'.

At this point I asked for a supervisor and an obnoxious woman came on the line, parroting the same argument - mistake fare, ergo no changes. I patiently explained that they cannot make up such ad hoc rules, but she was not having any of it - now that she got me wanting to make a change, she was not going to let an opportunity to enhance UA's revenue go by.

Since it was getting late at night, I simply asked her to leave the booking as it was and I advised her that I would be filig a DOT complaint.

So what are my options now and what should I do?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:56 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Hang up, call again.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by Annapurna
So I have flown the outbound portion of my BOS-ICN A-class ticket and called today to change the return date.

The 1K agent could not read the rules (he was an UA agent, after all) and went to the rate desk to verify that date changes were FOC. Having done that, he proceeded to change the date until his computer told him to 'Add Collect' about $6,000+. I patiently explained the rules and he went back to the Rate Desk to check. Came back on the line and said that 'since the original fare was so low, changes will attract a fee'.

At this point I asked for a supervisor and an obnoxious woman came on the line, parroting the same argument - mistake fare, ergo no changes. I patiently explained that they cannot make up such ad hoc rules, but she was not having any of it - now that she got me wanting to make a change, she was not going to let an opportunity to enhance UA's revenue go by.

Since it was getting late at night, I simply asked her to leave the booking as it was and I advised her that I would be filig a DOT complaint.

Does trying to change the reservation online via manage booking on united site not work?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:13 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Hang up, call again.
Hang up and call again.
If you try a few times and no one can change it then file a DOT complaint
Old Dec 3, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by Annapurna

Not a smart move. You should have stopped at the supervisor's debut.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, does any of DoT regulations mandate no fare increase when travelers initiate a voluntary change? I don't think so. 399.88 only stipulates no post-purchase fare increase for the original ticket as-is.

I understand the original fare rules permit such changes for free, but this appears to be beyond control of DoT regulations.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA, US, UA, DL, KE, OZ
Just another datum on itinerary changes on bookings with this fare:

My party (3 pax + 1 lap infant) flew the outbound on 12/8. We were all scheduled to return on 1/1. Upon arrival in Korea, I called to split the PNR so my wife and kids could stay longer while I would return on the originally scheduled date. Prior to calling I researched the flights and fare buckets so I could give the agent a list of flights knowing that each had A availability and otherwise complied with the fare rules (M-Th departure, etc.). The agent had to confer with the rate desk, which took a long time, but the change was approved FOC without any problem. It took even longer for the agent to actually complete the change after receiving the go-ahead from the rate desk, but got it done. It took me another call to make sure our lap infant was associated with the correct adult ticket, but got it all done.

tl;dr: Success. Time-consuming, but relatively painless compared to the issues others have reported.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:27 pm

I've searched the thread and believe this is the case, but just to confirm -- the fares rules do NOT allow flying the outbound and canceling the return for a partial refund, correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.