Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

European, too often MR to the US, immigration issue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience, in regard to MR to the US frequently ? I probably have 2 trips within a month to LA/ SFO for MR in October, then another 2 trips in November, will the immigration raise any eyebrows/ suspicion too often entry to the USA ?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: UA Platinum, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
I would guess there is a pretty high number of people who go back and forth regularly but I don't have any direct experience with that.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 7:27 am

Nah as long as you're leaving regularly too, you'll be fine.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 7:30 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I found I got much less scrutiny after travelling to the US from Europe more regularly. After some months of at least one trip a month I stopped getting any questions and only had to give a single finger print.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 7:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks guys! I will go ahead and book the tickets to hit MP Platinum this year
Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Yeah you will be fine - this topic comes up in the MR forum occasionally. Just answer any questions honestly, obviously. Actually it's not terribly uncommon that an immigration officer is even familiar with the term "mileage run"
Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Pontus Ahlgren
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience, in regard to MR to the US frequently ? I probably have 2 trips within a month to LA/ SFO for MR in October, then another 2 trips in November, will the immigration raise any eyebrows/ suspicion too often entry to the USA ?
No problems at all.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
A mod should probably move this to the MR forum.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
A close friend of mine is from London, he travelled between LHR and JFK/LAX/ORD at least twice a month for work. His biggest problem was running out of space in his passport. Four trips over two months isn't much to worry about. Unless you're travelling with a whole lot of household items. That will get you flagged.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: Who knows anymore. It's a f---ing pandemic.
Had a colleague make a 3 day trip to IAD, back home to CDG, and back to DFW 2 days later. Brutal travel schedule but no immigration problems. That was after about 8 other trips to the U.S. so far this year.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Another few data points: I work in a company with headquarters operations split between the US & UK. Our executives, many of whom are UK citizens, travel back & forth about once a month. They don't have trouble (re)entering the US.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Another few data points: I work in a company with headquarters operations split between the US & UK. Our executives, many of whom are UK citizens, travel back & forth about once a month. They don't have trouble (re)entering the US.
Yeah but that's a bit different. Ultimately it comes down to not how often you travel but whether you can convince the agent your stay is for a legitimate purpose and you're going to leave in due time. And if you're an exec whose business is partially in Europe, partially in the US you've got a very good reason to go often to the U.S. and to leave again as planned as well.

But all said and done, they probably trust frequent travellers - who have always entered and left on time without causing any trouble - more than those people who do not have such a track record.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:26 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note.

The suggestion of some members to move this thread to the MR Discussion forum seems a good one, and I have just done that. Indeed, that forum has at least one active, comprehensive thread on the topic.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...es-please.html

Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz
Old Aug 20, 2014, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by Pontus Ahlgren
Hi, does anyone have any experience, in regard to MR to the US frequently ? I probably have 2 trips within a month to LA/ SFO for MR in October, then another 2 trips in November, will the immigration raise any eyebrows/ suspicion too often entry to the USA ?
Not nearly as much as it would with CBSA/Immigration Canada or even New Zealand. There is more of a chance the US agents will know the keyword "mileage run." The important thing - as with all border agencies - is to be 100% honest about what you're doing and why and keep reiterating it if asked again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.