FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   European, too often MR to the US, immigration issue? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/1603570-european-too-often-mr-us-immigration-issue.html)

FlyerTalker0101 Aug 17, 2014 5:42 am

European, too often MR to the US, immigration issue?

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience, in regard to MR to the US frequently ? I probably have 2 trips within a month to LA/ SFO for MR in October, then another 2 trips in November, will the immigration raise any eyebrows/ suspicion too often entry to the USA ?

Hite Aug 17, 2014 6:56 am

I would guess there is a pretty high number of people who go back and forth regularly but I don't have any direct experience with that.

James91 Aug 17, 2014 7:27 am

Nah as long as you're leaving regularly too, you'll be fine.

EuropeanPete Aug 17, 2014 7:30 am

I found I got much less scrutiny after travelling to the US from Europe more regularly. After some months of at least one trip a month I stopped getting any questions and only had to give a single finger print.

FlyerTalker0101 Aug 17, 2014 7:53 am

Thanks guys! I will go ahead and book the tickets to hit MP Platinum this year :)

84fiero Aug 17, 2014 8:03 am

Yeah you will be fine - this topic comes up in the MR forum occasionally. Just answer any questions honestly, obviously. Actually it's not terribly uncommon that an immigration officer is even familiar with the term "mileage run":)

Tchiowa Aug 17, 2014 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Pontus Ahlgren (Post 23376827)
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience, in regard to MR to the US frequently ? I probably have 2 trips within a month to LA/ SFO for MR in October, then another 2 trips in November, will the immigration raise any eyebrows/ suspicion too often entry to the USA ?

No problems at all.

JetAirways77W Aug 17, 2014 10:12 am

A mod should probably move this to the MR forum.

WIRunner Aug 17, 2014 1:43 pm

A close friend of mine is from London, he travelled between LHR and JFK/LAX/ORD at least twice a month for work. His biggest problem was running out of space in his passport. Four trips over two months isn't much to worry about. Unless you're travelling with a whole lot of household items. That will get you flagged.

rstlsgirl Aug 17, 2014 1:57 pm

Had a colleague make a 3 day trip to IAD, back home to CDG, and back to DFW 2 days later. Brutal travel schedule but no immigration problems. That was after about 8 other trips to the U.S. so far this year.

darthbimmer Aug 17, 2014 2:26 pm

Another few data points: I work in a company with headquarters operations split between the US & UK. Our executives, many of whom are UK citizens, travel back & forth about once a month. They don't have trouble (re)entering the US.

Ber2dca Aug 17, 2014 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by darthbimmer (Post 23378715)
Another few data points: I work in a company with headquarters operations split between the US & UK. Our executives, many of whom are UK citizens, travel back & forth about once a month. They don't have trouble (re)entering the US.

Yeah but that's a bit different. Ultimately it comes down to not how often you travel but whether you can convince the agent your stay is for a legitimate purpose and you're going to leave in due time. And if you're an exec whose business is partially in Europe, partially in the US you've got a very good reason to go often to the U.S. and to leave again as planned as well.

But all said and done, they probably trust frequent travellers - who have always entered and left on time without causing any trouble - more than those people who do not have such a track record.

Ocn Vw 1K Aug 18, 2014 12:26 pm

Moderator note.

The suggestion of some members to move this thread to the MR Discussion forum seems a good one, and I have just done that. Indeed, that forum has at least one active, comprehensive thread on the topic.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...es-please.html

Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz

redtailshark Aug 20, 2014 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Pontus Ahlgren (Post 23376827)
Hi, does anyone have any experience, in regard to MR to the US frequently ? I probably have 2 trips within a month to LA/ SFO for MR in October, then another 2 trips in November, will the immigration raise any eyebrows/ suspicion too often entry to the USA ?

Not nearly as much as it would with CBSA/Immigration Canada or even New Zealand. There is more of a chance the US agents will know the keyword "mileage run." The important thing - as with all border agencies - is to be 100% honest about what you're doing and why and keep reiterating it if asked again.