Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] DL: JFK-CPT 19.6k mile RT $710ai 3.98cpm 1/16-1/20 +BNA add-on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARE GONE] DL: JFK-CPT 19.6k mile RT $710ai 3.98cpm 1/16-1/20 +BNA add-on

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RustyC
Well, after a marathon 7-hour booking session (thanks to perfectionistic tendencies), I emerged with DCA-MSP-AMS (23 hour layover)-CPT/(nearly 5 days)/-JNB-AMS-ATL(14-hour overnight layover)-DCA for a total of $748.10.

Am also having to get an ATL-DCA feeder at $100.80. So I'm in for $848.90 for some 22,419 MQMs, or about 3.8 cents per if I'm doing the math right. With my RDM valuation at 1.5 cents it'd conservatively spin about $673 worth for the $849.

Doing it CPT-JNB-AMS rather than CPT-AMS got the R fare and dropped it by $90, but the BA-operated KL 3764 7 p.m. CPT-JNB flight was presented confusingly. Looks like they're saying I can take one bag.

Getting the 'O' to take it was like feeding a cat a pill, but I made one pass on KLM's site and decided it was way too kludgey a ticket for that.

Still, I couldn't bring myself to go all that way just as an MR. The AMS layover was deliberate (11 a.m. to 10 a.m.) and the ATL one also convenient . I notice that Sting is doing a concert in CPT March 27-28 (albeit with the 28th sold out), and I came very close to building something around that.

For those with time and a real ability to manage complexity, maybe u could also use a CPT trip as a springboard to a 30K intra-Africa award on Kenya Airways. Dunno how hard they make it to book or whether the low-tier-award availability is as bad as on DL, but I s'pose it's a possibility.

Quentin Hotel Arrive in AMS near Centraal looks like it might be workable as a cheapie at $50-60. Didn't want to be too far from the station but didn't like pricing on airport hotels.

Anyway, if anyone's around CPT on March 16th-20th and wants to meet up I'd be happy to. Will be my first trip to that whole continent.
You need to exclude the CPT-JNB section as you won't accumulate any Skymiles for that segment. Read the baggage discussion going on here. Baggage restriction should not be an issue for a mileage run. It wouldn't be for me even if I were not on a mileage run.
Thanks for the idea about Kenya Airways intra Africa Award for 30K. I might do it as long no visa is required.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:43 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by Yaatri
You need to exclude the CPT-JNB section as you won't accumulate any Skymiles for that segment. Read the baggage discussion going on here. Baggage restriction should not be an issue for a mileage run. It wouldn't be for me even if I were not on a mileage run.
Thanks for the idea about Kenya Airways intra Africa Award for 30K. I might do it as long no visa is required.
it is 30k one way, not round trip.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K
Thanks to OP and all who provided tips on scheduling, baggage, and seating. I can't believe I used to do transcons on weekends to SEA for $250 resulting in a wasted two days (and a wasted me) for 5k MQM each and I can, instead, fly to CPT for $750, get 20k MQM, I get to go to CPT, and I'm home in just under 5 days. I'm staying over about 36 hours to relax and meet up with the Wednesday CPT Hash House Harriers, always a fun (and inexpensive) way to meet local and expat peeps when away from home. Otherwise I would have left on Monday and been back on Thursday to just overnight. Booking on DL was no problem, I did have to call and spend some time on the phone, less than 1 hour, for EC seating.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:34 pm

Programs: DL SM, AA, BA, WN, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt
Heading out this Saturday, 1/28, overnighting at AMS, and arriving CPT evening of 1/30. Departing CPT on 2/1. Any other FT'ers going at the same time?

Also, what meal service should one expect in EC on KLM for the AMS - CPT and CPT - AMS legs? Is there any difference in the service between EC and std economy? (What do I lose if I should give up my EC seat for a row of 3 further back in coach?)

Last edited by DLcoop1977; Jan 24, 2012 at 10:43 pm
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:26 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by DLcoop1977
Also, what meal service should one expect in EC on KLM for the AMS - CPT and CPT - AMS legs? Is there any difference in the service between EC and std economy? (What do I lose if I should give up my EC seat for a row of 3 further back in coach?)
Same food cart and personnel.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:17 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
am doing:

Saturday Jan 28th MSP-ATL-IAD-AMS
Sunday Jan 29th AMS-CPT
Monday Jan 30th CPT-AMS-IAD

Feb 1st Wed IAD-AMS
Feb 2nd Thurs AMS-CPT
Feb 3rd Friday CPT-AMS-IAD-MSP

Can guest pax/folks into the Skyclubs - MSP/ATL, AF Lounge at IAD, KLM Lounge 52 at AMS ... and the KLM Lounge at CPT.

Will be having a FT BAG TAG on my computer bag.

If inclined send a PM in advance and we can connect.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 8:14 am

Programs: Plat Delta, Plat Intercontinetal,Gold Hilton,Hertz gold
First Time Post. Lurking for a while. This is going to be my first MR international. If you can dd1612 tell me how the transfer is in cpt. Good luck and enjoy the trips. Going on feb 4th to feb 7th
roc-jfk-ams 4th
ams-cpt 6th
cpt-ams-jfk-roc 7th

Last edited by dragonlare; Jan 25, 2012 at 9:52 am
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: DL-PM
My schedule is

29 Jan - DCA-MSP-AMS
30 Jan - AMS-CPT

03 Feb - CPT-JNB-AMS
04 Feb - AMS-IAD

I can also guest folks into the lounges in DCA, MSP, AMS, and JNB.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM, Marriott Plat, SPG gold, Hilton Gold,Avis PS
Originally Posted by DLcoop1977
Heading out this Saturday, 1/28, overnighting at AMS, and arriving CPT evening of 1/30. Departing CPT on 2/1. Any other FT'ers going at the same time?

I am on the 6pm jfk-ams flight on sat. Are you on that flight?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM, Marriott Plat, SPG gold, Hilton Gold,Avis PS
Originally Posted by dd1612
am doing:

Saturday Jan 28th MSP-ATL-IAD-AMS
Sunday Jan 29th AMS-CPT
Monday Jan 30th CPT-AMS-IAD

Feb 1st Wed IAD-AMS
Feb 2nd Thurs AMS-CPT
Feb 3rd Friday CPT-AMS-IAD-MSP

Can guest pax/folks into the Skyclubs - MSP/ATL, AF Lounge at IAD, KLM Lounge 52 at AMS ... and the KLM Lounge at CPT.

Will be having a FT BAG TAG on my computer bag.

If inclined send a PM in advance and we can connect.
I am doing jfk-ams 1/28
ams-cpt 1/29
cpt-ams-jfk 1/30

Guess we will both be moving from arrivals to departures quickly!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Some of us are planning on meeting at KLM Lounge 52 at AMS on arrival on Jan 29th Sunday.

Leave a message or ask for dd1612 - FlyerTalk at the check-in desk at KLM Lounge 52 when you get there.

See you at AMS!

We will be on the same AMS-CPT Flight and back.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 2:09 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Is there any way to do this on any date from DTW (or nearby such as LAN,FNT,GRR)? I'm really interested in doing this and have PM'd quite a few of you but really need some help looking at this. I can't seem to find it as an option. I'm mainly just looking at ita matrix as I am still a noob on this stuff. (Hoping to connect with someone on a mileage run and get into the advanced stuff)
Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:55 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by craazyman
Is there any way to do this on any date from DTW (or nearby such as LAN,FNT,GRR)? I'm really interested in doing this and have PM'd quite a few of you but really need some help looking at this. I can't seem to find it as an option. I'm mainly just looking at ita matrix as I am still a noob on this stuff. (Hoping to connect with someone on a mileage run and get into the advanced stuff)
There's really nothing too terribly advanced about this. The cheap fares originate only from Washington DC or NYC. If you're not anywhere near there, you have to buy another ticket to get there, which makes it less desirable. I will be driving to DC to start my trip. I have a friend who lives near DCA, and I can park my car for free at his place.

The only thing I consider "advanced" about this, is, that all of the flights have to have KL flight numbers, which makes it a little tricky, but certainly not impossible.

Just my 2 SkyPesos worth.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by craazyman
You can still get low fares $713 all in for departures on Sunday Jan 29th and Tuesday Jan 31 for IAD-AMS-CPT-AMS-IAD all on KLM Flight numbers.
You will need to book a separate ticket from your hometown airport to IAD and back. There is a way to actually include your home town airport on the return ie IAD-AMS-CPT-AMS-IAD- DTW/FNT/LAN/GRR for an additional $50 or so.

The low fares for other dates in Feb and March are now $818+

You will need to make the reservations at www.orbitz.com or www.klm.com

Try using the website: www.matrix.itasoftware.com to get the desired flights.

If you still have questions feel free to PM me.

Washington (IAD) to Cape Town (CPT) - Tue, Jan 31
Washington (IAD) to Amsterdam (AMS) - Tue, Jan 31
KLM 652 Dep: 6:10PM Arr: 7:45AM 7h 35m Airbus A330 Coach (R)
Layover in AMS Wed, Feb 1 2h 10m

Amsterdam (AMS) to Cape Town (CPT) - Wed, Feb 1
KLM 597 Dep: 9:55AM Arr: 10:30PM 11h 35m Boeing 777 Coach (R)

Cape Town (CPT) to Washington (IAD) - Thu, Feb 2
Cape Town (CPT) to Amsterdam (AMS) - Thu, Feb 2
KLM 598 Dep: 12:20AM Arr: 11:05AM 11h 45m Boeing 777 Coach (R)
Layover in AMS 1h 40m

Amsterdam (AMS) to Washington (IAD) - Thu, Feb 2
KLM 651 Dep: 12:45PM Arr: 3:20PM 8h 35m Airbus A330 Coach (R)

Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees) $713.80
Total cost for 1 passenger $713.80
Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:16 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Has anybody had any luck getting the DL domestic flights with KL flight numbers to show "Upgrade Eligible"?

Also, I eMailed KLM yesterday, to their South African sales office, to inquire about the luggage situation for anyone flying on the KL/BA codeshare flights via JNB, but they haven't responded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.