Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Groupon.ch 160 for 49 voucher and discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2011, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR Gold, IHG Gold AMB

I don't know if it's the best place for this but I hope so.

REFERRAL LINK REMOVED -- USE LINK BELOW basically gives you $110 off any flight you can buy on www.edreams.ch.

I played with edreams and it has the same or lower prices as orbitz, expedia or travelocity, except it adds some hefty service fee at the end, but I already subtracted that from the discount – otherwise that would be around $130 off.

Enjoy! For me this seems as big as Expedia's $300 off any flight to NY last year…

(Disclosure – the link above contains referral. If you prefer non-referral link try this.)

Last edited by jpdx; Jan 29, 2012 at 12:07 pm Reason: Removed referral link
Old Dec 7, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
My German is not perfect, so I will have to ask. Is this coupon limited to 1/person, or can you purchose more and use them for many flights?

Last edited by Alec84; Dec 7, 2011 at 2:48 pm
Old Dec 7, 2011, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Alec84
My German is not perfect, so I will have to ask. Is this coupon limited to 1/person, or can you purchose more and use them for many flights?
The way I understand it is that you can buy as many as you want, but only use 1 per booking. I just bought one and am waiting for the code. It says that it's waiting for a sufficient number of people to participate in the offer. Not sure what that's all about.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
I similarly think I get some of this, probably just enough to get into trouble. (First I knew Groupon's international.)

My question: Is this just for one airline?

And to mirobatka and others not familiar with Groupon, I encourage you to go to Groupon's website, which will explain all. Specifically to mirobatka, it takes a minimum number of purchasers to cause the deal to "tip" and go live. Then, regardless of the stated expiry, many deals expire earlier when they don't want to sell any more (especially for restaurants and lodging). Anyway, check it out.

[I don't have anything to do with Groupon, except I've bought a lot of them.]
Old Dec 7, 2011, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mirobatka
The way I understand it is that you can buy as many as you want, but only use 1 per booking. I just bought one and am waiting for the code. It says that it's waiting for a sufficient number of people to participate in the offer. Not sure what that's all about.
Yeah, that doesn't make sense because on their main site they say that they have reached the correct number of people.

I feel like there's serious risk here that this travel agency will go out of business because of this deal, rendering the coupons invalid.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 3:17 pm

Could someone please translate the basic info to English? For example, is it possible to use this offer for any flight purchased via edreams?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firewind
My question: Is this just for one airline?
This is for any airline, any flight (but for bookings over 160 CHF as I understand), and there is no restrictions how many you can buy… Seems too good to be true but I didn't find any catch. In any case you can get a full refund within 1 week of purchase.

They are valid until 05.31.2012, no restriction regarding flight dates so you have a guaranteed discount of $110 for all flights within next 1.5 years. This is a crazy deal IMHO.

I didn't get the codes yet.

Seems improbable they will be able keep this deal up for 3 more days.

Last edited by elva; Dec 12, 2011 at 9:49 am Reason: punctuation
Old Dec 7, 2011, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Rough translation:

49 instead of 160 CHF - voucher valid for all long and short-haul flights worldwide at eDreams

Highlights
marketing speak there, nothing of substance

Fine print
  • The value of voucher is 160 CHF
  • Valid for all flights (not valid for hotel bookings nor for car rental), redeemable online at www.edreams.ch
  • Minimum booking amount is 160 CHF
  • You can buy and redeem an unlimited number of vouchers
  • 1 voucher per booking
  • The reservation must be made by 31.05.2012 - the flight can obviously take place later

Last edited by elva; Dec 7, 2011 at 3:42 pm
Old Dec 7, 2011, 3:30 pm

Thank you! Those of you who have used Groupon before, how likely do you think these scenarios are:

a) you buy coupons, never get codes, never get refund
b) you buy coupons, never get codes/codes don't work, hard to get refund
c) everything goes smoothly
Old Dec 7, 2011, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by elva
This is for any airline, any flight (but for bookings over 160 CHF as I understand), and there is no restrictions how many you can buy… Seems too good to be true but I didn't find any catch. In any case you can get a full refund within 2 weeks of purchase.
I think it might only be one week. From the English version of http://www.groupon.ch/faq:

Can I return a Groupon?
Once we send you the Groupon, you may cancel the transaction at any time within 7 working days from the day after the day that you receive the Voucher (where a working day is any day that is not a Saturday, Sunday or Switzerland public holiday).
Should you want to return your Groupon after this period, we handle returns on a case-by-case basis. Within the limits of reason, we’ll do what it takes to make you happy. Unless there is something wrong with the purchase, we are generally unable to offer refunds after one week from the purchase date. If you’d like to discuss returning a deal, e-mail [email protected] or give us a call - 044 278 77 16.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Thank you! Those of you who have used Groupon before, how likely do you think these scenarios are:

a) 0%
b) 1%
c) 99%

1% because something can always go wrong but I've never had problems with Groupon or other group coupon sites. (When I had a disagreement with some restaurant who sold me a coupon but couldn't make a reservation for a whole week, Groupon refunded the money promptly).
Old Dec 7, 2011, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mherdeg
I think it might only be one week. From the English version of http://www.groupon.ch/faq
Indeed, sorry for the confusion. I edited my post to reflect that.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 3:55 pm

I've bought quite a few Groupon deals, all went very smoothly. You'll always get the codes and they'll always work. It might sometimes be inconvenient to use them (e.g. because you need to order before a certain date), but it's safe to say that if you read the fine print of a deal, you're very unlikely to encounter any negative surprises.

In fact, the only time I had to contact their customer service was when my girlfriend bought a coupon for a local hairdresser that was valid for 6 months but only thought of using it one week before expiry She couldn't get an appointment anymore so the coupon would've been useless. We contacted Groupon and they decided to refund it, no questions asked.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 4:12 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Silver, M&M FTL, Flying Blue Silver, Duna Club Silver
That indeed sounds too good to be true. So far 7000 vouchers bought, this is $700k in loss right here. No way the marketing effect is worth that much.

Anyone actually received a voucher code or everyone is with "waiting" status?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by raphaelC
I've bought quite a few Groupon deals, all went very smoothly. You'll always get the codes and they'll always work. It might sometimes be inconvenient to use them (e.g. because you need to order before a certain date), but it's safe to say that if you read the fine print of a deal, you're very unlikely to encounter any negative surprises.
By way of contrast, I just bought 1 of these Groupons from groupon.ch, then read the terms and decided to buy 4 more, then decided to buy 5 more.

PayPal authorized each of these three transactions (I paid for a total of 10). It also hiccuped a whole bunch and denied a few in between, for various reasons like PayPal, my bank, and my credit card company not being OK with sending money to Switzerland.

Groupon.ch shows only the first two transactions -- I have only 5 valid Groupons shown at groupon.ch/myaccount although I have proof that I paid for 10.

I wrote in to their customer support, in English, and got an automated reply in Swiss German. So we'll see what happens there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.